Rough Start...promising future

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sandhazrd, Jun 14, 2018.

1. sandhazrd

sandhazrd New Member

Jun 14, 2018
    Northcentral PA
    We are in northcentral Pennsylvania (USA) and just bought a '90 Coleman Newport 2485.....our first camper ever. It has been a wild ride already. I didn't have the seller put the top all the way up when I looked at it, just enough to see that the canvas was in great shape and all the interior was in good shape. Excited about my new purchase, I brought the camper home and started cranking it up inside the garage where I knew it was level. It got really hard to turn, so I cranked harder....and harder.....until it STRIPPED OUT THE THREADS on the wiffle tree. It turns out there was a mouse nest all stuffed inside the wiffle tree case and I compressed it as far as it would go. $175 later (almost what I paid for the camper to start with), I had a new wiffle tree and we were ready for our first adventure. I didn't know how hard the crank was supposed to turn, so in our first trip out, I was cranking away....not as hard as when I stripped the wiffle tree, but still pretty hard....and sheered off one of the pins that go through the sleeve that connect the wiffle tree to the crank shaft. I thankfully was only an hour from home and got what I needed to replace the pin and save the trip. Now I know to bring tools and some spare hardware. Now I know that the pulleys needed to be lubricated with silicone spray!!! Now I know how EASY THE CRANK IS SUPPOSED TO TURN. :) I'm surprised I didn't break a cable or worse. Moral of the story, if you're new, come here and read first. I wish I would've found this forum about a month ago and saved myself a lot of hassle and money. I can't wait to look back at this and laugh.....too soon. :)

2. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Sorry to hear you had issues, but it's good to see you were able to rescue your trip!

We Are!

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

You have to be Tuff to learn things the hard way but when you do it sticks for good.

Welcome to the party.

4. KamperKel

KamperKel Member

Nov 5, 2017
    South Carolina
    I know we have learned so much from all the little problems we encounter. Welcome from SC!

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The lessons learned the hard way will usually stick with you the most. My tool box has contiously grown over the years because of it. Things will eventually get easier although there will always be stories to share around the campfire because of something, part of the adventure of camping. It's learning to go with the flow, think on your feet, and just take it one thing at a time. Hope you and your family a wonderful adventure.

KamperKel and J Starsky like this.
  6. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    If it were easy, everyone would do it! It's how life is learned.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

Glad to hear you got everything worked out. Lots of good times are ahead. [:)C]

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. Congrats on the NTU Coleman
    Look at the thing as a lesson, you are really familiar with the wiffle tree and can repair it in the future. Most things on a PUP are not that hard to repair, you just need the tools, time and some spares such as fuses etc. Glad you figured the problem got the unit repaired.
    Hoping ya'll have many great adventure in the future with you Coleman.
    Good Luck and Keep On Camping

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline, Thinks get easier as you go. Have fun