Running a freezer on propane? AC?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by lexalotacus, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lexalotacus

lexalotacus New Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Hey guys, does anyone have any awesome tricks for running a small freezer off grid? Ill only have solar and propane, but would prefer to run it right next to my small fridge on propane. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    In your situation propane is the only way to go.

turborich and lexalotacus like this.
  3. lexalotacus

lexalotacus New Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Could you recommend a small propane powered freezer? Thanks man!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I don't have any personal recommendations, sorry.

5. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    Might find some reviews on Amazon

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    You should find posts on various types of refrigerators and coolers here: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/refrigerators-and-coolers.78/

What size are you thinking of? There are some high end refrigerator/freezers (some can be used as either, just depends on the setting). One of the brands is Engel.
    Bearman512 has posted about his experiences with an expedition-type freezer/'fridge, it's not an Engel but I don't remember which brand he has.
    Depending on the size you need, some of the RV 'fridges/freezers work just fine off-grid, they aren't cheap and I"m not sure how you'd use one free-standing. The larger ones actually seem to be more consistent about keeping the temperature in a good range than the smaller ones. There are a lot of posts of mods done to make the smaller ones common in pups work better. Even with the big ones, I've seen some mods, such as Reflectix awning shading the 'fridge on a big RV I saw earlier this month.
    Our TT has a 2-way (LP/110v) Dometic refrigerator/freezer; the freezer compartment is separate. We run it off-grid a lot, on LP, since most of our camping is dry camping, although we don't boondock. We have solar panels to keep our batteries charged, the 'fridge needs the 12v for the controls and electric ignition, though it isn't the largest user of power we have.

7. lexalotacus

lexalotacus New Member

Apr 29, 2017
    Hey thanks for that info! The freezer doesnt need to be huge I think 1cu ft is probably fine just want ice and some frozen fish etc.. I have the original fridge in there right now that runs off propane I think but want an additional freezer :)

8. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I think I would consider dry ice!!

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I don't know of any portable propane freezers. I bought this 12 volt fridge freezer about a year ago. It maintained 10* F for about 30 hours, with highs in the mid-80s, running on a group 24 battery before pulling it down to 11.8 volts, when the lvs in the fridge shut itself off. If you have sufficient battery and or solar power it could run indefinitely.

10. sgip2000

sgip2000 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Hillsboro, OR
  11. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

Feb 9, 2015
    +1 what he said

12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    Dry ice sounds like your friend here. Could last for 5 days, easy to use and mess free. It will really be frozen!! We actually start all of our longer camping trips off with a cooler packed with the frozen stuff and dry ice. Keeps the first week of food frozen for us and then we just use it as a cooler and the regular fridge from there on out. It helps that I have access to dry ice at work.

bob barnes likes this.
  13. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I think most of the walmarts stock it now!

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Dry ice is A LOT cheaper then buying a propane freezer $$$$$

bob barnes likes this.
  15. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    major less!!! but some people will be determined to run one! I finally broke down and bought a propane refrig but only wound up with 225.00 in it. I still don't know if I will come out!!

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes, but some of us camp where access to ice, let alone dry ice, is 45 minutes to an hour or so down the road. For those who expedition camp (we're not among that group, at least with a camper), it'd be more difficult and even longer a trip.
    With an ice cooler, it was worth it to spend the money to buy a higher efficiency model, and on all but the Pelican, we've used extra insulation and a Reflectix cap to help hold the cold. When the metal top of the cooler gets too hot to touch, it's safe to assume it's stressing the temps inside. At up to $5 a bag (not usually that much, but once in a while), keeping it as long as possible can save money, over and above the hassle of getting ice if we're not traveling in the direction of supplies. Gas stations often have ice, but they sometimes run out.

17. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I wonder if say you kept spare dry ice in its own cooler sealed it up how long the extra supply would hold? I am betting quite a few days anyone?

18. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I have an ARB fridge freezer. It is very efficient and runs off of 12v quite easily. I have a 180 watt solar panel and it kept my 2 group 27's topped off nicely with the freezer at 0 degree off grid for 5 daays with not problem. The fridge was expensive but I use it all the time anyway. Dry ice is a pain, and not consistent. It is simply whatever the individual sees as value. For me, the cost was well worth the price since I never have to worry about finding ice ever again.

kitphantom likes this.
  19. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    little steep for me!!