Running Lights/Brake Lights (Grounding)

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by mph-Viking1906, Jun 15, 2019.

1. mph-Viking1906

mph-Viking1906 New Member

Hi, I have a Viking Epic 1906 and it just started having issues with the lights.

It was fine in the fall, but now in the spring, all that works are the two front running lights. The come on with brakes/TV lights, but if I signal they go 4-way (both blink).

I started taking all the electrical apart, and everything I can find on the Internet seems to talk about grounding everything on the trailer near where you hitch it, but my trailer has ground wires running everywhere, there are wires all over the place.

TV is 4 pole (white, green yellow, brown), my trailer has wires that don't map that well, I have white, green, red/white, brown.

I took out the 6 pin connector and just made it 4 pole since I don't have brakes (blue?) and don't use a batter (pink), so those wires are just laying around.

I changed out a dead bulb on the rear, and then one brake light lit up dim, and sometimes the other one lights up bright, but not for signal or brake.

I assume this is a grounding issue.

Been troubleshooting, but now my TV has no power coming out the 4 pole, assume I blew the fuse or the converter.

Should there be so many grounds though or just one and then everything else just runs brown,yellow,green (brown is running I think, green/yellow are either left or right I guess).

2. mph-Viking1906

I'll take some pictures tomorrow just to show you how this thing has been wired for the 12v system. 110v works fine.

3. Pnut

Pnut Member

It definitely sounds like a ground issue to me. Check your Tv ground wire and the pup ground.

4. Pnut

Pnut Member

Here is some good information on troubleshooting trailer wiring problems.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

In my very recent case of "lights not working" I fond that my 4-way flat connectors were damaged. Sometimes things worked, sometimes not. Replacing them is on my todo list.

6. mph-Viking1906

Thanks for all the responses. Very much appreciated.

So the TV (2017 Kia Sorento) had a factory installed 4 pole (flat) towing package installed in 2017 (not really factory, but by the dealership). I guess I blew the fuse, and when I took it in they just replaced the whole thing under warranty (they billed back to Head Office, about $210 Canadian).

So I blew the fuse (15A) in the converter, but was able to locate it by removing a lot of the back of the interior of the vehicle, and now I know where that is.

I remade the primary ground on steel frame of trailer (sanded down a spot and used a metal screw), and I got a bit more working.

Removed the ground wires with all their 3 way connections and have it just floating in place and now I have more lights but also more issues.

If I turn on the TV lights, I get all the rear lights now, and they are bright. If I turn on one signal it 4 ways on most lights except one rear signal light, the other blinker it goes solid (brake) on the rear back, but other lights fail.

I am going to just replace all exposed grounding, and bring it back to the front of the trailer with a few 3 point connection whips.

This is actually fun but not really.

Does it matter what gauge of this white wire I use for ground? I think I need to go get a spool.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Since you are just doing lights, maybe go up one gage step beyond what is in the existing wire harness. So if wires are 16 Ga use 14Ga. Or use the same as existing wires. The wires in my Aliner are: wire to light fittings = 16 Ga; common ground wire to all fittings (incl. lights) = 14 Ga (more current if most lights are on)

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I would start at the vehicle 4 flat with a volt meter or test light to determine each pin is working as desired

neighbormike likes this.
  9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

X2 for ETRAILER.com... they have some very good generic diagrams to go by... They also have all kinds of neat things you might need for your trailer. Great folks to work with...

Highly recommended...

Also note some of the trucks may have the DOT Safety lights wiring fuse protected on the truck side... This can give you fits sometimes troubleshooting for things not working...

My setup even has a RELAY involved that only works some of my safety lights if I have the Truck Ignition key 'ON'...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. Pnut

Pnut Member

You may have a bad converter on your TV. Check your 4 way plug at the vehicle with a test light or meter. Sometimes they go bad and do crazy things.

11. mph-Viking1906

Thank you everyone. I've changed the 15A fuse on my TV (it was blown) and I got a 4pin flat LED tester, that plugs directly into that 4pin at the TV, and all the sequences work, left, right, brake, daylights.

Going to replace all ground with 14 guage, and will report back when done.

Thanks again everyone.

12. mph-Viking1906

Okay so I reran all the grounding wires and everything could light up, but functions were all wrong.
    Started taking the lights out to see if issues with the actual bulbs/lights and noticed all lights had a green wire, and not a brown one.
    For whatever reason my trailer uses green for running lights/common, not brown. So after swapping those two wires at the harness, I now have all lights functioning the way they should. Thanks!!

eoleson1 likes this.