Rusty trailer needs repairs. How does the camper come off?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by el_zopilote, Apr 27, 2018.

1. el_zopilote

el_zopilote New Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Just bought a 1992 Roanoke, but the trailer is pretty rusted and the jacks are bent. I want to restore the trailer by sanding it, welding new jacks and repainting it. My question is, do I need to gut the entire camper to get to the trailer, or can the entire thing be removed somehow?

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Trailers are built starting with floor, then walls go on. Floor is attached to the frame (bolted). Don't believe that you would ever get the walls and floor off the frame in one piece., and by gutting the entire camper you still wouldn't be able to access the frame.

Yak likes this.
  3. el_zopilote

el_zopilote New Member

Apr 27, 2018
    ok, if that's the case I'll have to take the entire thing apart. I just don't know if I will figure out how to re-assemble the darn thing.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Take lots of notes and pictures and get some friends to help especially if they had Carpenter, machine shop and electrical experience. Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

@nineoaks2004 is right on the money. Take your time when taking pic's and note what the pic's orientation, Location, Function and so on. It may also be useful to label parts and add witness marks where pieces connect. Lastly Dont be afraid to ask questions and please keep us posted on you build.

6. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I have personal experience here, I took apart a 93 Destiny a few years ago. I'll be brutally honest, chances are that there will be so many rusted and rotted parts that it wont come apart any where close to how it was put together and you may end up with a frame only

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our trailer was rusty and my husband sanded it all down and painted it without removing anything. He just taped off the camper. The jacks can also be replaced without removing the camper. I think you would end up with a big mess trying to remove the camper.

kitphantom and kcsa75 like this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think you need to re-think your strategy. What you're considering is the equivalent of saying "my foundation walls are cracking and spalling, how do I remove the house part?" Typically these sorts of repairs would be done with the house (camper) in place.

kcsa75 and Orchid like this.
  9. el_zopilote

el_zopilote New Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Thanks for the responses, and yes, you are correct. I will be creating many more problems for myself by gutting the whole thing, so I will only paint the parts that I can.

tfischer and Orchid like this.