Ryobi vs. Honda inverter generator

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by ice_nyne, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ice_nyne

ice_nyne New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Hi all - Ryobi released a 2000w (peak) inverter generator, and it looks to be new because a search of the forum turned up no other conversations.

This is it:
    http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/power_tools/specialty_tools/RYi2000

From my searches, it seems most of you are avid fans of the Honda EU2000i for its power, size, and noise level. But the msrp on this Ryobi model comes in at $300 less than the Honda goes for in my 'hood. Can't find a noise level spec just yet.

As a camper who would sparingly use a generator, and I do mean sparingly - as a power back up or to power the pup AC outlets, maybe a stereo or vanity lights - is there a benefit to going Honda over the Ryobi? Or vice versa?

2. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    looks just like the 2000w generac

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Honda and Yamaha are known not only for very low noise but extremely high quality and long term reliability. I'm not sure if the Ryobi has demonstrated an ability to match up on those points yet.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Quality. If you want to buy it and have it "maybe" work get the Ryobi.If you want to buy it and know it will work get the Honda or Yamaha.

5. jjsul

jjsul New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    ice_nync,

Where did you find the price. Home Depot doesn't list them yet.

I've found Ryobi to be a good reliable line of tools. If the price was within reason I'd consider the Ryobi for the limited time a recreational generator is used.

6. ice_nyne

ice_nyne New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Price was listed in a DIY magazine I get. Said the street price was $599.

7. Hyperterex

Hyperterex New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I'm pretty satified with the noise level of my Honda EU2000i. If I put around the side of the pup, I really dont notice it that much at all.

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    Under what type of load. I know a 2000i ain't quiet at all locked to the a frame powering a coffee maker. Sorely disappointed.

9. Hyperterex

Hyperterex New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Well, I'm not coffee drinker but I am usually running the genny when I have the battery charger, tv, dvd player going at once. With a those 3 things running, it's not enough to kick it up to high speed. However when running the microwave or hair dryer, yes it will run at the max and be a little louder but I hardly ever use those 2 things.
    One more thing, I dont have a/c on the pup. I'm sure it would run at high speed with that running.

10. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I just searched Home Depot & they have several different makes & models of digital inverter generators at great prices. I wonder how quiet they are compared to the Honda & Yamaha? If they are just as quiet then they may be a good buy.

There's a seller on Ebay who offers 2 brand new Honda EU2000i units with parallel cables shipped under $2000. Seem like a good deal?

11. ghacker

ghacker New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I've bought a bunch of Ryobi stuff over the years. In general, their products are not junk, but they are not top tier either. It tends to be a good value for the money, but if you want durability and/or demand precision, you have to spend more.

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    turborich asked:
    I suspect those other products are significantly louder. I have never heard of anything that can match Honda or Yamaha for quietness. Their quietness is part of the reason they cost so much.

13. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    There is no industry standard.
    I suspect very comparable.

14. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh New Member

May 4, 2011
    I saw this thread last week after I had ordered the Ryobi, which I got yesterday. I was a little hesitant to order it as there isn't anything out there as far as reviews go and expected the worst when it came time to pull out of the box for a little quietness match to my buddy's EU2000i. I figured if I wasn't happy I would stick back in the box and ship it back or force the local Home Depot to take it and get either the Yamaha or Honda. Time will tell on the reliability side of it, but as far as quiet goes, we can't tell the difference between the two with or without the "Auto Idle" (Ryobi term) or "Eco-Throttle" engaged.

I am thoroughly impressed with it, so far. Right out of the box after adding oil and fuel it started on the second pull.

Trust me I know the reliability of both Honda and Yamaha first hand, but I plan on keeping this though and getting HD's extended warranty tomorrow morning just in case.

Anyway, just thought I would chime in and let you all know what I found out, I will let you guys know how it goes either way.

15. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Mar 21, 2004
    Adamsville, MI
    Item Weight : 55 lb
    Operational volume (dB) : 59

Found the above for the Ryobi 2000 on the HomeDepot website. IIRC, most Honda ads state 53dB. (Honda website states 53-59dB). But they are measured at a certain distance away. ?Not sure where the Ryobi is measured from.

16. turborich

turborich Active Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You should post a video clip of the Ryobi running. Did you guys know that Ryobi also makes power tools for Sears which are sold under the Craftsman brand? It's true.

17. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    I'm late posting about the Honda, own the 2 and 3k,
    the 2000 don't run the ac, if you don't have ac unit or don't plan to use it, is a good generator.
    If you need to run the ac or plan to do so, get the 3000 honda great unit, a little heavy, but very, very quiet.

18. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    I believe this university study demonstrates that Honda may exaggerate on how quiet their generators actual are! BTW, the 25' distance is a couple of feet farther away than the 7 meters Honda claims. Use the dB(A) numbers for comparison.

http://www.me.ua.edu/stal/Pages/PDF/HondaNoiseTests.pdf

19. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh New Member

May 4, 2011
    I assume they are all going to exaggerate their results at db and distance. As someone mentioned above Ryobi doesn't tell you how far away from the unit they are when they got the 59db result they are claiming, they also don't tell you at what load that is either, which added to me being hesitant to order it.

I don't have a db meter so I can't tell anyone an accurate reading, but I can tell you side by side, 5 feet away we couldn't tell the difference. Turned one off, left one running and backed away and they sounded the same. Standing 5 feet away you could carry on a normal pitched conversation as well without raising your voice or turning your head to hear the other person.

For arguments sake, I will give Honda who has proven themselves time and time again in the market the benefit of the doubt using their low end result of 53db against the 59db of Ryobi and I ask myself is 6db really worth $300 more? I don't think so, especially for someone like me who won't be using this other than to charge the battery and occasionally run something time to time when my wife is out with me. This is also depends on the reliability factor of the Ryobi which remains to be seen.

$300 gets me more fly tying material or a new reel! [:D]

I knew Ryobi made some of the Craftsman power tools, IMO that doesn't say a lot for them though, especially after K-Mart got a hold of them. My first table saw was a Ryobi BT3000 and they made a similar version for Sears back before the K-Mart merger with a different color scheme. I still have it, runs great, just doesn't get used nearly as much with the 3HP cabinet saw sitting in the shop now. Craftsman has for a long time outsourced their power and hand tools though, as well as the Husky and Kobalt brands, even the big dogs like Snap-On do it now. Black and Decker and DeWalt were in bed together long before the buy-out too, I have a DeWalt radial arm saw from the early 80s in the shop with Black and Decker motor in it.

I am rambling now and will shut the heck up and let you know how it works out!

20. ColoDisco

ColoDisco New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    All I know is if you fire that thing up next to me I am callin the cops!! [{:)] [:D]