Saco w/6 kids and 1 wonderful Husband to be

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Joanna, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Joanna

Joanna New Member

Aug 10, 2018
    Boston
    So we are getting our first PUP together now and heading out to the Saco River in ME for Labor Day weekend (4 nights) lord help me we are taking a mix of kids.. call me crazy but the more the merrier
    19, 18, 17, 16, 12 and 6, oh and 1 lovely assistant who is 22.. (shhh she is actually way more) great kid. So my fiancé has never camped in his life and normally stays in hotels, I want to know if anyone has any ideas on fun things to do, food, games, entertainment to keep everyone at bay?? River is only one day

jnc likes this.
  2. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    WEl come to the Pup.....I'm sure you will indeed have your hands full, the older kids will probably be happy wandering the campgrounds. ..take bikes for the younger set.......mostly HAVE FUN!

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains from a former MA resident...have fun

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome from South Carolina. Pick up a used Boy Scout handbook and teach them some outdoor skills- knot tying, fire (small) building, plant identification (look at the poison oak), stars (the Sky Map phone app is a start), etc.

jnc and landon6062 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I sometimes bring a few supplies and games for my little side kick. If you camp where there is an open playground or field a game of kickball can be improvised to work. If you set up small cones to act as bases. Beach ball can be cheap and games invented around that. Easy to pack too. I've brought a tie dye kit so the kiddo could tie dye shirts. I was thinking of making a glow in the dark bowling game I saw on Pinterest. For those campgrounds more limited in space. Cornhole is a fun game but not very portable. I keep a couple battmitton rackets and a Birdy in the camper for an improvised game. I love the idea about the old boy scout guide on knots etc. I don't bring everything I mentioned with me except the small easy to pack stuff. Beach ball I keep in the camper as well.

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal Joanna..

Sounds to me like you are going to need a vacation after the vacation..

WOW I count 9 people?

HI from South Carolina donna

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Welcome from Wisconsin!! I would think at those ages, they will mostly be able to keep themselves entertained, jmkay has some great ideas also!

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I think you will find that the kids will come up with their own games and things to do' it will be up to you to try to keep up with the kids:). You are going to be busy cooking for the whole group. Maybe assign some of the older ones to specific jobs. Good Luck and have a safe trip.

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

With an older group like you have The nights will be the most challenging. We like to use Pie Irons to make Cherry, Blue berry and Apple Pie with canned fruits and Grands Biscuits. This is more fun than Flaming Marshmallows.

11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I wouldn't worry about entertaining everyone. They are all old enough to find things to do. Hiking, exploring, etc. And the 16-19 year olds are close enough in age to get along. To me, the biggest concern will be the 12 and 6 year olds. They are sort of alone in the age breakdown. The older kids probably won't want the younger ones following along everywhere and the younger ones will want to be playing with the big kids.

I would talk to the older kids and ask them to set aside a minimum amount of time that the younger ones can hang with them each day. And guarantee a set time where they can be younger one free. Then you can find activities for the younger ones that is just for them on their "no big kid time" - make it special and something the big kids aren't allowed to do ("you're too old to do that" to make it special for the younger ones).

Some ideas for the younger ones - cameras: have them do a photography scavenger hunt. Things like "take a photo of wood" and let them be imaginative. They make one meal - let them go through campfire recipes, etc., before the trip and pick a meal and then let them make it for everyone.

Make sure everyone participates in set up and take down. Even the younger ones. The 6 year old can hold tent stakes and hand them to an older one to hammer in and so on.

myride likes this.
  13. Sotovoce

Sotovoce Active Member

Jun 27, 2015
    Georgia
    As I write this you have less than 2 weeks to prepare, and preparation is key. Please tell us more and we can be of more help.

Will you be in a private campground with a bunch of amenities or a more primitive area with no electric and water?

You said the river was only one day. Is that activity the only thing planned so far?

You said you were getting your first PUP together. Do you have it? Have you checked everything out? Have you tried camp driveway?

I am guessing this is the future blended family, yours and his plus your assistant, who could be your sister. Do the young people already have established relationships or is this to help them get acquainted?

You have a location and the river activity. What planning have you already done?

A number of years ago our family had a wedding in the DC area and 10 of us chose to camp at a nearby county park for our stay for about the same length of time you are planning. The 5 children were a little younger than your group, from 3 to 11 and only 3 in our group were newbies. We visited the zoo and the Smithsonian, but split the group for the tourist activities. We split our group into three. The two of us had the 3 year old since she was much younger than the rest.

On that trip we had two cabin tents that housed two families plus our pop-up pickup camper. We discovered that something as simple as having the children find their own sticks to toast marshmallows was a fun game for them. The children will find entertainment.

When our children were growing up, our plan when camping was to have a no-cook meal when we set up camp and when we broke camp. We did allow boiling water and any food that needed it. After all, we needed dish washing water. Your older children are capable of being in charge of some of the cooking and everyone should participate in cleanup. If you are an experienced camper, you can help them plan meals or you can plan meals that the the children can prepare. If you can have ground fires, have what we call pocket stew. Each person fills a piece of heavy duty foil with what they want to eat and the foil packets are heated/cooked on the coals. I did this with 6 and 7 year old girls using cooked ham and canned vegetables. They could have eaten everything before we heated it on the coals.

Please post again and give us more information about your planned trip.

14. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    Welcome from central NC. You are one brave woman! Can't wait to hear about your trip.