Safari Campground, NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by Tomminny, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

Hi,
    Years ago, in the late'1970's, my dad took us to a place called The Safari Campground somewhere in NY....I would assume upstate. I cannot find anything about it on the internet and my dad has since passed away so I cannot ask him. Has anyone ever heard of this campground ? No big deal, just a bit of history for me... We camped there in our soft sided Apache Mesa. Good times...

Tom

2. ADK_Ben

ADK_Ben ADK_Ben

OK... I'm going to take a stab at this one. Old Forge, NY is home to the Enchanted Forest Water Safari theme / water park. While I don't see a camground by that name now, I would focus your search there.
    http://oldforgecamping.com/#

3. lighting Up

lighting Up New Member

I remember one being in Canada or Niagara falls or Ontario maybe Buffalo side... not sure. I think it may be still open... not sure about camping anymore.
    md [{:)]

4. wantingapup

wantingapup New Member

There is African Lion Safari in Ontario- just outside Hamilton so not far from Buffalo/Niagara Falls. They have group camping there now, not sure if they have had family camping in the past. The attraction here is to drive through the various areas to see the animals from your car, and to try to get the monkeys to jump on your car. The younger kids love this place and it was an annual day trip for us from Waterloo.

5. Bbrawn

Bbrawn New Member

Hey Tomminny, I think the campground you are thinking of was on Rt 14 near the NYS Thruway exit #42 Phelps/Lyons/Geneva. I also camped there with my family 72,73,74. I remember it most because we were able to bring trail bikes and ride trails and nearby rail road tracks and gravel pits. It was a great place for me, it still exists under the name "Cheerful Valley Campgrounds"

Thanks,
    Bill