safety prop

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by extenter, Apr 5, 2012.

1. extenter

extenter New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Picked up my new to me 2010 Jayco 806.have still to put it up for the first time.When the previous owner gave us a quick run through I commented that there were no safety props. I have not had a PUP before but the two others that I had seen had some sort of safety prop.Is it a Jayco thing not to have them or are they missing?

2. gec66

gec66 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    The only place I have seen them discussed is here, but I have never seen a pup with one in person. My 1994 Jayco did not have one. Some puppers here have mentioned making one as they feel more comfortable with it. It could be as simple as a 2x2 cut to the proper length. I have owned 4 pups over the last 25 years and never used one.

3. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

My brother in laws Colemen has a lock next to the winch and did not have props. My viking has 2 poles you put in place next to two opposite support tubes.

fyi

FL Bill

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Jayco doesn't use them. The winch does a good job of holding up the roof.

5. extenter

extenter New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Ok good to know, I thought that they were missing.

6. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Feb 1, 2007
    They came standard with my pup from the factory....I bought mine used, and they were missing, I bought 2 from forest river directly. Cheap insurance seeing how the only thing holding up that roof is one cable...

7. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I wouldn't trust ANY lift system on ANY brand p'up camper. I know the Goshen lift system provides the C-chanel braces for their system - for any other type I would cut me two 2 X 2 lengths just a tad less for when the roof is up at the proper level and place next to the lifters at opposite corners. If on the outside the 2 X 2's could be attached with a plastic zip ties ... just snip it loose when time to pack up.

8. Laoch

Laoch New Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Katskamper likes this.
  9. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

Feb 10, 2012
    My starcraft has 2 metal props that wrap the lift post on the 2 opposite corners. It also helps stiffen the the roof up in wind.

You could probably make a couple very easily , just get a couple of metal drywall studs of appropriate width, or as others have suggested wood. Pvc pipe with a notch in it would also be cheap and easy to do.

Cheers
    A

10. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Mar 21, 2004
    Adamsville, MI
    ditto - get yourself some peace of mind. a winch will not hold a broken cable.

11. Xpress25

Xpress25 New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    My Rockwood came with two that cover the lift poles. I ordered two more and use all four everytime I set it up.

Just feel safer that way [:D]

12. vik-king

vik-king New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I made 2 safety props out of 1 inch white PVC pipe, I opened pup when all leveled measured the height and I slide them under roof and on bottom ledge Ii notched out a small piece so it stays in place. they are super light weight and store easy in the canopy post compartment on my pup. I always prop the post closest to the door and this helps my door operate very well, while giving me piece of mind that the roof cannot colapse on me or family.

Katskamper likes this.
  13. dpedpedpe

dpedpedpe New Member

Sep 23, 2012

My 2010 Jayco 806 came with two C-chanel safety props.

14. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    I've dismissed it in the past when I had my Jayco but am sort of glad that my Fleetwood has a welded aluminum door frame designed to carry the weight of the roof if the cables give.

15. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    The roof won't completely collapse if one cable snaps and the door frame will always hold it up at the back. Nonetheless, if you're worried about it, lift post supports are easy enough to fabricate using 1 1/2" ABS or PVC pipe.

I cut four pipes around 44 3/4" to 46" long, (measure your roof height to see what you need). Then cut a 1/2" slot in the top end (which the top edge trim slides into) so that it won't kick out, then placed the bottom of each pipe atop the wall trim.

I also use these when replacing or adjusting the lift cables so that the roof is straight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Mr_Custom

Mr_Custom Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Antigonish, Nova Scotia
    I was thinking like Dubbya, the door seems pretty solid, if the roof came down crooked it would also bind. After doing maintenance on the wiffletree and lubing the shaft it seems pretty darn solid - a cable likely to fail first but not all of them.

17. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Aug 9, 2011
    Central WI
    I found a good use for some scrapped Graber G-71 headrail (vertical blinds). The aluminum channel just fits over the lower post (square) on our Goshen lift!
    It's light, non-rusting and protects the plated-steel lifting post! [8D]