Said Goodbye to my F350

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Apr 21, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    My 2002 F350 with the 7.3L diesel was a heck of a truck, but it started showing its age. While I JUST bought a new trailer, and I figured it would pull it with ease, it was giving me some warning signs and I took it to the local diesel shop that specializes in Powerstroke engines.

The news was shocking... all new injectors, all four ball joints, high pressure oil pump cover, exhaust up pipe cracked, steering box leaking. All in all, $6,500 in repairs. PLUS it was still on the factory transmission, at 173,000 miles.

So, the financial review didn't warrant investing $6,500 in a vehicle that was 16 years old, and the transmission was a ticking time bomb. So, we got something else.

I wanted another Super Duty truck, but I went to Ford, and we went over the numbers for about 45 minutes, and believe it or not, for conventional towing, the F150 with the max tow package gets me only 3,000 lbs LESS than a Super Duty for a LOT less money and a LOT less fuel for a daily driver. So, this is the new TV...
    20180420_090952.jpg

We took the rig for a test tow today, and it did nicely. Not as "ho hum" as behind an F350, but I'm glad to be out from under my old truck knowing it needed some serious maintenance.

Orchid and NiteRider like this.
  2. Fless

Fless Active Member

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Awesome color choice!

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Nice ride....We run 6 7.3 F350's with upwards to 300K miles and have never replaced an injector...yet. These trucks experience up to 14 hours a day idle time.
    Again a nice ride, enjoy it

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yep, the new F150 trucks, particularly the 3.5EB models, are impressive tow rigs. The biggest drawback is the low'ish payload, especially on loaded up crew cab models.

Nice truck.

Unless your old truck was rusted badly and in poor condition, I bet some lucky guy will get it, spend far less than 6500 bucks on repairs and ride it another 173k miles.

Ductape likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have a 2004 F 150 with big V8 and tow package, it has a little over 100K and is going strong, I get about 19 in town and 17 when pulling the TT. You will love it...Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I have a F150 with Ford's biggest V8 ever. I get about 12 in town and about 9 pulling the TT....I still love it...lol

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I wanted an F150 when I found this F350 with the V10 Gasser. Ya its more trunk than I need but it never complains about the work load and it gets 13 loaded.

9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Good Luck with the new ride!

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    See the trucks on my signature, went from a 7.3 6-speed to a 3.5 ecoboost. The Maxtow ecoboost actually has more power on the highway, and doesn't have the large gap between direct and OD (same gap on the 4R100 auto and ZF6 manual) My 7.3 might have been getting tired but had it to the floor in 5th (direct) pulling grades @ 60 MPH with my TT that the ecoboost is in 4th (close to direct ) and hardly pushing the gas pedal.

generok likes this.
  11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I was absolutely skeptical at the dealer about the Ecoboost... I walked in the door to buy another Superduty with a 6.4 or 6.7 Powerstroke... The numbers don't lie. It pulls like a horse. I just couldn't wrap my head around how a 1/2 ton truck came so close to a 1 ton with a 7.3L in it. I like it so far, and I think I'm going to like it better as a daily driver.

BelchFire likes this.
  12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I can actually accelerate up hills towing the TT that I just held speed with the 7.3. Way better DD, not beat to pieces and not as much physical effort to driving. Stop and go traffic was slow, running the 6-speed through all the gears was fun but ultimately it wasn't a sports car transmission so slow accelerating. Ecoboost, step on it and stay with traffic off the green.

You've got the FX4 so you've got the console shift, I have the stupid column shift, but at least the +/- buttons are easy to reach. Max tow comes with LSD and with the power these things have stepping on it is enough to break traction, something the 7.3 couldn't do on pavement just by flooring it. I've had the eco sideways a few times.....

13. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Thanks for the info generous I am thinking of buying a new TV and was wondering if the f150 was enough if I up graded to a TT

14. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    For the most out of a new Gen F150 for towing, look for one with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. They are a heavier built truck. The payload is considerably higher on a HDPP F150.

15. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Only 500 lb more, Easy way to tell is the 7 lug wheels. The fact it is a "unicorn" truck, good luck finding a HDPP F150 that isn't a Extended cab 8 foot box fleet special. Keep in mind Max Tow is 3.5 ecoboost and you can get a 5.0 HDPP that therefore isn't Max Tow.

While the HDPP truck in theory can handle more on the box for 5th wheel, it isn't rated to tow any heavier trailer. My Maxtow sits perfectly level with TT on the hitch.

16. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    HDPP trucks used to have 7 lug wheels. I believe that is no longer the case.

No doubt a HDPP is a unicorn on the lot, but ordering one is no trouble.

I considered ordering one, but need an 8 ft bed and want a crew cab. A Super Duty is now on my list.

jnc likes this.
  17. jnc

You said that like an 8' bed with a Extended Cab is a bad thing? I would own to other.

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Not so much of a bad thing unless you are more than a couple. Suicide door ex cabs are a pain to put people in and out.

I actually started looking for 8 foot extended cab trucks years ago, but once I got a crew cab I stuck with that.

My point on the HDPP was more it was likely going to be an XL with basic options, which most buyers don't care for. Personally I don't like a bunch or garbage electronics and stuff.

jnc likes this.
  19. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    If you really need the capacity Super Duty is the way, the F150 is quite dainty underneath compared to F250. I've had loads in my F250 that I would never consider putting on my Maxtow..

20. jnc

I get that the suicide doors are a bit of a PITA but they dont make extended cabs without the doors anymore and I not need a crew cab. The rear of the cab is for gear & tools. It is very rare that I have a 3rd passenger.