san francisco to new york: total newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by maybc, Aug 7, 2018.

1. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    hi there!
    we just bought a 1996 starcraft and are so excited. we are newbies, i mean NEWbies and have signed up to make a cross country trip. planning to go at the end of august with 2 adults, 2 kids, and dog along the northern route. would appreciate any particularly good routes or stop suggestions. we love camping but have never done this before. *yes, i know that a cross country trip may not be the easiest way to start but sometimes that's what you get. excited for the adventure and very appreciative of any tips, tricks, and suggestions. thank you!!

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    That is a long trip. Would make sure the wheel bearings have been repacked, brakes checked (if camper has them). Tires are in good shape including spare, consider replacing if tires are over 5 years old no matter how good they look. I would suggest you practice on jacking the camper up on changing the tire. Get the proper tools you need to accomplish this. Have fun on your trip!

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I also suggest to get a camp driveway in or two or three to make sure you got everything you need for the camper and that it's in sound shape for such a long trip. I would maintain the lift system before your trip. Making sure the pullys are oiled, wiffletree greased and the cables are in good shape. You Will be putting the lift system through a major workout so you need to make sure it's up to the task. May you have a safe trip an an awesome adventure.

hayyward, maybc and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    x2 on both of these.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Good luck on your awesome trip!

maybc, Sjm9911 and JPBar like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You are a better person then me, good luck on the trip and have fun.

maybc likes this.
  6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Your taking the northern Route? Are you headed up to Oregon/Washington and then heading east from there? Or, are you taking rt 80?

maybc likes this.
  7. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Thanks so much! Those are great tips. We are stopping to see family along the way so have quite a few stops worked out. Any recommendations in Colorado near Breckenridge? Hoping to stop just an hour or two before coming east along the 70. thanks again!

8. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jun 24, 2011
    Northern California
    "The 70" You must be down in the valley. I wouldn't call 70 the northern route but I guess that's further north than 40! Its gonna be hot that far south so take it easy on your TV, especially in the "hills".

Are you in a hurry or are you stopping for a couple nights here and there to see the sites? Is this a one-way trip (moving)? Or are you re-writing Popping Up Across America ;)

maybc likes this.
  9. sallyp

sallyp New Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Fruita, CO
    HI there- I highly I mean above all else recommend you check the Colorado road conditions daily- I-70 is due to be shut down both ways for a few days here in August for preemptive landslide mitigation along Debeque Canyon. its COtrip.org I 70 through Glenwood Canyon is super spectacular but people drive too fast and there is wreck closing lanes all the time. Don't try to go to Hanging Lake if the sign says the lot is full unless you are there at 6 or 7am (no dogs allowed but very famous trail) I don't know the Brek area- the camping near the 70 in Glenwood is limited- but there are little BLM parks along the river near Dotsero that are cheap and easy. There is also a great little distillery there. Costco- is near the Eagle Airport. lol
    If your staying anytime there don't miss the hot springs. If you get to Grand Junction and find the I-70 closed shoot me an email you can camp in my driveway LOL. I'm serious though- it can close at any time- and you have options if you keep on top of it! Have A great time. Sallypal07@gmail.com

maybc likes this.
  10. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Thank you so much! That is really helpful. Yay!! for nice people. I am a little worried about going through CO in general because we have a 2010 Highlander Hybrid (I am good for amusement at least!) and want to not get stuck on the mountains. Wondering if it might not be better to keep going North to S Dakota from Utah?
    We are moving to the east coast, not rewriting a book although -- great idea! ( :
    When we added up the cost of transporting our dog, car, us, and hotels until our place is ready, the PUP adventure was born.
    Really looking forward to it and thank you again for your tips and hospitality!
    All my best,
    Mary

11. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Do not over load the highlander. Make sure you are not alot above the payload.
    New tires for the camper and axles grease packed.
    How many days for this . if long enough you can do this. Most people struggle when you have packup , drive and then setup every day . Even seasoned ones.

12. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    we are thinking of going to Los Angeles, then Saint George (family stays for both, no popping up necessary) then heading north. we can stop anytime to stay in a hotel if we need a break. ( :
    I am concerned about towing with a hybrid through anything too steep. not sure if I should avoid Colorado altogether. the route looks like we could go by Breckenridge but I'm not sure if the mountains will give us a problem?

13. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    that is so kind of you! thank you sally! I will take all of that info to heart and if I get in a bind, absolutely will reach out. so very nice and neighborly of you to offer!

14. maybc

maybc New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    great advice. will be sure to have our tools sharp and ready. we are planning august 22-31 which is pretty speedy. if we get worn out on the camper (or the camper gets worn out on us), we aren't against taking a hotel break. just want to have a fun trip and make some memories --- whatever they may be --- before we transition to a new life in nyc. ( :

silverfz likes this.
  15. hayyward

hayyward Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Packerland
    I'd buy AAA or similar roadside assistance for any vehicle making that trip, towing or not. Good luck to you! Check in periodically, let us know how it's going.

16. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I 70 is a very beautiful route, there are really no issues taking it (closure aside). Midweek, you won't have many issues with camping. IT is a long haul across eastern CO and NE. Just plan your route and days out with google maps and a spreadsheet. Lots of ways to search for campsites and many along 70/ 76/ 80 all the way out to your destination. Again, anything midweek should not be an issue, but will need to book ahead for weekends in many areas.

17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    You are looking at 48hr of pure drive time for around 3k miles. Try to space long days with no driving days. Me and the wife did do 1000 miles in 24hr with our dog when I brought a motorcycle online. But we had a truck and towing a 1000lb trailer with a 600 lb motorcycle.we even stayed at a hotel and slept before heading to the dealership for pickup .
    Get a ez pass. Will save alot of time as u can go through hi speed toll lanes.