Sap removal from vinyl

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by stacksboy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. stacksboy

stacksboy Yeah, well...the Dude abides.

Jun 28, 2016
    Sorry if this has been asked, I searched as well as I could:

Does anyone have recommendations for "tree sap" removal from my outside vinyl?

I just cleaned and protected my vinyl but was unable to get the various tree sap spots off. I used the 303 Multi Surface (and the dollar store "LA Totally Awesome") cleaner but they were no good against caked on goo.

If anyone has dealt with this without damaging the vinyl, I'm all ears.

TIA.

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I would use paint thinner.

3. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    I've used some things in the past that removed the goo, but they always left me with a tannin stain. I haven't found a good way to remove it all, stain included. I've tried an oxi-clean paste, rubbing alcohol (being careful to limit the exposure time and total amount), and some of the 303 products like you mentioned. I have the same tannin stain issue on the metal roof of my camper.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  5. shaune509

shaune509 Member

Aug 13, 2014
    spokane wa
    if the sap is not baked on, try crisco to remove it. not sure it won't stain but it does lift the sap and then any birnal cleaner to clean off the cooking grease. old farmer / logger trick to clean hands of sap.
    Shaune509

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    WD-40 works great to remove all kinds of caked on goo. Should rinse off relatively well with soapy water. Once dry, you can try some whitewall tire cleaner on the vinyl. I used it to clean the white top of my 66 Mustang Convertible. Works great and doesn't take much effort to see results. Just make sure you follow the directions....

cyndib likes this.