School me on hitches and what I need

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by ItsJustJer, May 7, 2018.

1. ItsJustJer

ItsJustJer New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    I know nothing about hitches. Just from reading around here I've read about things like weight distribution hitches and sway bars, but I need a lot of help on this.

My wife and I just purchased our first pop up (great!) except we're still searching for a tow vehicle (not great). We absolutely want a suburban/yukon xl, but we just haven't seen the right one for the right price yet.

In the mean time we need to get this pop up off the guy's property and tow it home sometime this week. It is a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara. It's about 3k lbs as it sits right now and will be about 3700 lbs typically.

We have a friend with a newer (2015?) Dodge Ram that has 5k lb towing capacity that will let us borrow his truck to go pick it up, EXCEPT he does not have a ball mount hitch, just a receiver on the truck.

If we buy a hitch and put it on his truck, will I still be able to take it off and install it on the suburban we end up buying? How specific are they to a vehicle?

Can anyone recommend a good one to buy?

2. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    The ball mount *might* be the same, but it is more a function of how high the hitch is. The ball whould work just fine on the Suburban. A ball mount does not cost much at all, so I would definitely buy one that works on the Ram and get the trailer home. You would need to know how high off the ground the trailer needs to be so it runs level, then but the right drop for the RAM truck.

kitphantom likes this.
  3. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    There are a couple different sizes but a Yukon type truck and Ram are probably (?) going to have the same 2" receiver so the hitch will technically be interchangeable. Like Mike says, the "drop" will probably be different. They aren't that expensive, though.

If it doesn't work for your new TV, you can always present it to your friend as a thank you for the truck loan. :)

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Should be same 2" receiver.
    I would think a standard 2" drop hitch with a 2" ball would work on both the Yukon and the Ram.

Drawbars are cheap anyways, if it's too low or too high on the yukon, just buy a different one.

When I bought my PUP I only had a 6" drop, worked to tow it home, ended up getting a 3 1/4 drop to tow with.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I Think the OP is saying that the Ram has a Ball on the Bumper. If the Ram does not have a receiver dont use it as a Tow Vehicle. You need a TV with at least 1 of these receivers The first pic is a 2" than a 1.1/4". Than you need the Hitch to fit the reciever and set the ride height. Than you need the correct ball to fit the TV receiver & trailer coupler.

The TV you buy will need to have the 2" receiver because the 1.1/4 is only rated for 3500#.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. ItsJustJer

ItsJustJer New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Thanks for the helpful info, everyone! I did confirm his truck has the 2" receiver. The first picture in jnc's post (thanks for posting those images). So I'll buy a 2" drop hitch with a 2" ball to get it home. If it doesn't sit right when I get my TV, then yeah I'm going to just give it to my friend and buy the appropriate height.

I've got a another question that is kind of related, but not specifically to hitches. It's about the plugs and the connections.

I haven't seen the actual connections on the Ram, but I'm told there is a 4 pin in-line connection and then another "round plug". Is that round plug most likely a 7 pin connection that would work with the pop up?

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Yes. [:)C]

8. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Typically most newer trucks are wired from the factory with both a 4 pin and a 7 pin. (The round Plug).

The camper, based on it's vintage, could have either. You should be fine. You can stop reading here.

If you want more info.....

Typically, campers of that vintage, had a 6 pin OUTLET mounted on the tongue, like this:
    [​IMG]

Into that outlet, you would put the correct Pigtail. Either a 4 pin, or a 7 pin

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some people just cut wires and splice whereever they like.

But the important part is the RAM has both on it, so your are almost always going to be covered.

jnc likes this.
  9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    You probably don't want to give it away. I have three different drop hitches (2", 3.5" and 5"). I have three because I have used many vehicles over the years to tow with and the drop hitches have accumulated as the vehicles changed.

When I tow an empty pup or boat, I use the 3.5" drop. When I tow a loaded boat or pup, I use the 2" drop. Your vehicle "sag" will vary depending on the load. If you want to keep a level load, you should keep several drop hitches or get an adjustable drop hitch.

10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    So...does the Ram have an integrated brake controller? That trailer is big enough to want brakes if you're going to be on busy roads, or highways, or hills....

theseus likes this.