Screen Enclosure to attach to an Awning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by paepae805, Nov 28, 2018.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Jun 5, 2018
    I joined the PUP world last year by purchasing a 2018 Rockwood 2280BHESP. Comes standard with an awning like most PUPs. My question, does any company make an enclosure(screen) that would connect to the awning to create like a screen patio area at all? I thought I seen one on an facebook ad/post but didn't put much thought into it till much later.

I think it would be very useful if your traditional citranela candles or whatever aren't doing a good job keeping bugs away.

There is an RV show next month in Green Bay so I am sure there will be a lot of vendors that may have something available.

Thanks everyone

2. paepae805

paepae805 Member

Jun 5, 2018
    AS I finished typing this post, I actually found a few items online as options. I am going through withdrawals having the PUP garaged till atleast April. Trying to keep sane during the long winter months. Thanks everyone!

kcsa75 and jmkay1 like this.
  3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    I know what you mean about withdrawals. When I lived in Superior & Duluth I thought spring would never come.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I hardest thing to seal is the side against the camper, the tire wheel-well and step/door opening. My vote is for a cheaper stand alone unit.

Sjm9911, PopUpSteve and kcsa75 like this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I agree. When we bought our NTU Pup there was a screen room for the awning. We tried to put it up once but gave up about half-way through. It was a real PIA and I'm not confident it would have done much good anyway.

I've seen folks with screen rooms that look to me like a much better option. They're easy to set up and provide a "fully-enclosed" area with room for a picnic table or chairs. [:)C]

7. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    hmmm. i have an old tent i might cut aprt to make one.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I had a Dometic add a room. It was more trouble to put up than it was worth.

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    That "standard" Dometic awning on your new Rockwood may differ somewhat from the generic Dometic version in the way a screen room attaches to the awning - to confirm ask your Rockwood dealer. That link provided by PopUpSteve is for a travel trailer screen room and isn't suitable for use with your Dometic bag awning. Having owned an Add-a-Room with our previous Fleetwood Santa Fe I'd agree they're way too much work to set up, the simple solution being an inexpensive stand alone canopy, with walls if you prefer. I've got an inexpensive Ozark Trail 10' x 10' straight leg canopy and made my own tarp walls for those times it may be cold, windy, and raining - bought mine here in Canada at WalMart but it's also sold at WM in the USA as well ...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-10-x-10-Instant-Gazebo/213624779

To make this canopy even more useful Ozark Trail now offers tent assemblies that can be attached to the sides, offering additional dry space that could be used for storing chairs, bikes, etc, or even as a porta potti privacy room - very slick. [A]

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tr...hguid=46fe1a9c-8e9-1675f6e222d080&athena=true

Although more costly the new style of instant up screen rooms such as those by Clam and Gazelle are especially easy to set up and provide complete protection.

https://www.productexpert.com/best-camping-screen-houses-for-sale/

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    I have one for my awning and have it all set up with the skirt that goes along the camper and seals up the whole area. Other than getting it all set up, we have never used it. It takes some time to set up and we simply don't spend much time camping where it would be useful (even though I am in MN and the mosquito is the state bird). It is all packed away now on the shelf in the garage. I do have another separate screen room with panels, and we rarely take that with us now. But, most of our longer trips are out West and there simply aren't enough bugs to worry about out there.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have a factory screen room for mine. Check with Rockwood - they might offer it as an option if you have the factory awning, although it will probably be expensive. Mine has roll up solid panels for rain/privacy when needed, and a skirt that snaps to the bottom of the trailer, sealing most of it.

I really liked the Dometic Cabana rooms though. If I could find a good deal on a larger one that would fit mine I would consider getting it as an upgrade.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    I don't find the Dometic screen room with privacy curtains a PIA at all, except the first time we used it. First time we put it on after the camper was fully setup. Now when we start the roof raise we stop with the awning rail shoulder height to head height and unroll the awning. Then zip on the room, attach the clip to the roof, and continue raising the roof. It only adds 10-15 minutes to total setup including the under camper skirt. We are vertically challenged so we carry a couple step stools that double as seats for the boys. We got both of ours at Ollie's for less than that one. These come in handy when wrapping the ends around the roof supports. We setup kitchen in screen room and can come in and out in the rain. If the wind is blowing we lower curtains as needed to keep the wind off the stove. We also have an ez up and 12'X12' stand alone screen room in the tent camping stuff. We usually bring the EZ up, but never the stand alone screen room when PUP camping. Those step stools are the only travel seats the boys haven't managed to break. The biggest drawback to me is lighting with the curtains down. If you lower all the curtains you will need lighting to be able to cook even in the middle of the day. A clamp light with LED bulb (for low heat) clamped to the roof lip over the stove works well. I clamp it where I can reach the switch from the doorway. If off grid a battery powered lantern hung over the stove should work fine.