Securing awning while driving

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by GreenEnvy22, Jun 2, 2016.

1. GreenEnvy22

GreenEnvy22 Member

Our awning (9 ft) is in good shape, but the bag is torn up so I can't drive with it attached or it will fall out. The bag attaches to the normal c Channel strip. Bag is fine in that area, just around the zipper its torn up (and zipper has chunks missing).

Other than getting the bag replaced, what are some other options people have done? I was thinking of attaching some metal buckles and straps to keep it up against the camper while driving so it doesn't unroll or bang around. Ratchet straps seem too bulky.

Thoughts?

2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Buckles/straps would work as a band-aid. Ultimately you should probably replace the bag though. I don't know if they sell replacement bags so it would probably be a custom job. A whole new awning will run you about $200-$250 which might be worth it in the long run if you can't repair it.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Many people have found auto upholstery / sail repair / canvas repair shops, and had them sew new zippers, or replace the bag itself for less than $50.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If you want to limp through the season, you can use duct tape to tape the bag shut for travel. We had to do that toward the end of last season. Not the most glamorous solution but it works.

Alternatively, another approach might be to use bungee ball cords to hold it shut.

We took our awning to a local commercial tent and residential awning shop and had them make a new bag and fix a few tears in the old awning fabric for $75.

5. Raven27

Raven27 Member

We just bought our pup and the original owners said the bag started sliding out of the track, a lot, while driving, so they store it inside, but it takes up a lot of room I read you can drill a few self tapping screws through the channel and into the awning "tab" that goes into the channel to prevent it from sliding out.....anyone tried this?

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We had our bag replaced at a boat canvas place. Very happy. Larger bag with a bigger zipper makes packing up much easier. $80.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I use to "flip" our bag awning onto the roof and used a strap wrapped around the trailer to hold it in place..

8. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Good idea

9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Most have a screw in the ends to prevent it sliding out.

10. Raven27

Raven27 Member

I think I'll add a screw to each end rather than try and screw into bead. I'll also flip it up and ratchet strap it down to roof thanks all for your input Theres a lot more to upgrading to a pop up than we thought. Lol

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I did what SNOW says for a couple of seasons. Then I finally just took off the awning and started using a quick put-up 10x10 patio awning from WALMART ($60)... The problem here tho however is the straight legs are not high enough to clear you opening your door... I think I am going to rig up some side mounts next to my trailer wall so I can open my door under it and then have a couple of extended leg on the outside legs... Kinda neat to walk out under the patio awning haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Raven27

Raven27 Member

I lack the room to bring a pop up canopy. I'm towing with a Chevy Traverse with 3 grown kids not much room.in vehicle a.d camper is pretty unlimited with essentials I did buy a roof top Cartier for the car. I suppose strapping a pop up canopy to roof of pup wouldn't hurt anything

13. roybraddy

I don't have that problem here... My OFF-ROAD POPUP has a 5X8 front deck and my F150 truck has a big bed on it which is covered and locked...

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]

The downside to all of this is the more room you the more you carry haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 and Raven27 like this.
  14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No one likes a show off roy!
    I have a pop up screen room. Still havent fixed my awning, maybe this year. Only reason to do so is to use the outside room i have. Going to disney in October for 2 weeks , figured the extra room might come in handy.
    If you have a good roof it should be able to take the weight easily. Just make sure your riof is in good shape and not sagging or rotted in any way.

15. Raven27

Raven27 Member

Camper is like new. Can't imagine the awning weighs much.

16. roybraddy

Not wanting to be a show off.... It always amazes me how I can come up with a pretty good plan B....

Several years back I ran into my POPUP raised roof having a very big sway side to side in the wind movement for me. It was very good with no sway end to end... I could stand in the doorway of my POPUP an push out from the inside at the top of door jam and move the whole roof out about a foot or so... This was so bad when it got windy outside it started knocking things off my cabinets. When my microwave and small TV set went crashing to the floor it was time for action haha...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

This prompted me to install heavy eyelets with large washers on both sides of the wall in the four corners of the roof on my POPUP on all four sides... This eliminates all of the side sway of my POPUP trailer...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Then I purchased a four pack of 15-foot 1/2-inch ratchet straps with hooks on both ends (WALMART) and ran them to the ground on the four sides to a set of these 18-inch EARTH AUGERs (AMAZON)...

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Google images

These Earth Augers easily screws into the dirt around the trailer and leaves no marks when removed...

I haven't done this yet but the 1-inch hooks mounted on the four corners of my POPUP would be perfect to use the ratchet straps going criss-cross over the top of the trailer roof to hold down things for travel... I love the ratchet straps method verses tieing things down with rope.

We still do a lot of tent camping and changed over to ratchet straps to tie down my tents as well... In the old days using rope there was no easy way to save your rope tie downs with numerous knots and one ends up just cutting the rope and discarding it...

With me it is just all about having a good PLAN B haha... I work hard at it...

RoyKen
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  17. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Old thread but maybe someone new might see this.

On my previous pup (1994 palomino) the awning bag material at the zipper edge completely disintegrated into uselessness. I didn’t want to be driving on the highway one day watching the awning flapping in the wind. Having a grommet kit, I installed metal grommets every 24 inches on both sides of the zipper where I had good bag material left. Then used little flexible gear ties to tie the two sides together through the grommets. This lasted several seasons. Until water damage in the storage bin finally took its toll. Relevant links below.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/General-...hguid=b978037c-898-16b2cf929f2ff9&athena=true

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nite-Ize...hguid=54ee7ccc-707-16b2cfa847ae52&athena=true