Securing medication

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by StealthGeek, Aug 21, 2015.

1. StealthGeek

StealthGeek New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    My husband has a chronic health problem that requires him to take very expensive medication on a daily basis. Unfortunately, this medication also has street value, so I am a bit paranoid about keeping it secure. Any suggestions for storing a 6in bottle safely, or even discretely? I am already in the middle of a major remodel, so I figure it easier to tackle this now while everything is pulled apart.

Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Not sure if this helps. My grandparents were on a number of medications themselves. So they bought a small bag (looked very much like a durable makeup bag). They stored all their medication in this bag and put a small lock on the zipper to prevent their grand kids from accessing the meds. This way if anyone of them had to go to the hospital quick they just grab the bag. Everything is already stored in one place in a discrete looking bag. Grant you the lock can get annoying but it worked for them and all they really needed to remember was the bag and the lock combo.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
  4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Your tow vehicle can also be a good place, providing you put thought and work on how and where to hide it.

Similar to above, if I wanted it in the PUP at all times, I would put it in a fingerprint reader gun safe that is bolted or secured to something substantial. This should be out of sight regardless of what you use as your protective container.

Since you're remodelling, at least build a little fold out drawer on the side of the sink cabinet or something, that has a keyed lock on it. Make sure it is not a lock that is used by the RV industry as too many of those share a common key.

5. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    If you don't advertise the fact that he takes it, no one will be looking for it.

tfischer likes this.
  6. StealthGeek

StealthGeek New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I am probably worrying needlessly, but at 4K a bottle I have always been a little uncomfortable traveling with the stuff. I think a small safe might be the answer. Thanks

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    When you put it in terms like that, you'd better believe I would be locking it up.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    First off, I also have a few "popular" drugs. Please check with your pharmacist. I know MY meds cannot be stored in the TV due to heat buildup. My camper ac is always on and I dare anyone to find them. LOL

Just look at your camper, inside. Think like a thief in a hurry. Anywhere you think of, DON'T put them there!! If I leave my TT, the door's locked, and it has a deadbolt. Anything obvious like a lock box will be a first target, especially if they just toss seat cushions and see it.

I'd be more than happy to PM you with a few secrets if you'd like. [A]

And now that customer knows, you'd better find a good hiding place!! JUST KIDDING!! LOL

PM me if you'd like some ideas!

9. lovejoy

lovejoy New Member

Jan 7, 2015
    I keep two full sets of meds. One in camper and one in TV. A grand total of 12 meds and yes, some of them have an incredible street value.

10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    Velcro up inside a cabinet or under a table

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    A metal junction box (from the electrical section of Home Depot). Mount it near wiring. Attach a blank cover with magnets. For kicks and grins, add a warning sticker.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Same lock box that the pistol stays in.....

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    SSSSHHHHH

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Whatever you do, do not store meds in the tow vehicle. The temperatures inside a vehicle can get too high. The recommended storage temperatures for medications are based on stability studies and storing meds outside the that recommended temperature may be detrimental. It would be unfortunate if you keep taking a medication that has lost its effectiveness because it was not properly stored.

15. StealthGeek

StealthGeek New Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yeah, 4 grand is actually the cost of a 10 day supply, but it is the smallest qty I can bring with me. I would call the cost insane, but it seems like such an understatement. All of our other meds are either completely mundane or easily kept with us.

I hadn't even thought about storage temperature, but it turns out I need to keep it below 86 degrees as well. AC might be less of a luxury than I initially thought.

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Yup. Necessity is, what necessity is.....

Pack extra blankets! [A]

[:D]

17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    That would be my thought, the DW and I both take meds and I place them in my handbag along with my clothes etc. We just do not advertise that we have the meds. Just as we do not advertise that we are carrying any cash..

18. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    On the one hand, nobody's going to be looking for them. Very few of us have ever experienced a camper break-in, and even those that have, it's probably been bored kids looking for walkie-talkies, ipads, etc. A bottle of pills that they can't read is not a likely target.

But the downside is the cost. Wow.

In my line of work we sometimes talk about "Security through obscurity is not security at all." In your case, it's probably worthwhile finding a stronger solution.

How about one of these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Cases-Mounting-Bracket-Cable/dp/B004MC53G8

19. Grakken

Grakken Member

Jul 19, 2015
    Now that I think about it..A lockbox or whatever mounted inside just screams "come jack me". I would find or mod a secret compartment and never advertise it to those you do not trust 100%. Ever.