Seized gas control knob, Dometic 2193

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Dave Brick, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Family is heading out dry camping in the Adirondacks after the 4th. I got a new propane tank for the trip, connected it, and tried a dry run in the driveway. When I tried to turn the gas control knob to High, it was very stiff. I pulled off the plastic knob and found out I had mostly stripped it! Tried to turn the brass part under the plastic knob with channel locks and couldn't move it. It wouldn't push down for lighting either.

Broke out the PB blaster, sprayed it on, tapped it a little, and then tried the vice grips. Got it unstuck with some difficulty. Sprayed more, tapped more, turned it more, and eventually it got unstuck, and even pushed down properly. Lit the fridge without difficulty, let it run for several hours, fridge got nice and cold.

I guess the vice grips now need to be in my camping toolbox. Otherwise, a happy ending.

Has anyone else gotten this knob seized?

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

It sounds like the valve needs to be disassembled and cleaned and new gas valve grease applied.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  3. northpoletim

northpoletim New Member

I have this exact issue of a seized gas control knob, and wondering how to fix it. I can move it, but it's really stiff. And when depressing it to light, it won't spring back without me pulling it back up.

Wondering:
    1. Does the knob just pull off if I lift it with enough pressure?
    2. What's involved in dissembling the valve and applying new gas valve grease? I'm somewhat handy, but gas lines scare me :)

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I'm not sure. I think they are all different.

5. northpoletim

northpoletim New Member

Quick followup in case it helps others...

I wasn't able to easily remove the gas control knob, so tried squirting some 3-in-1 Lock Dry Lube under it. To my surprise, it immediately starting rotating and depressing normally. I couldn't believe it ended up being that simple, at least in this case. Hope this helps someone!