Senior Dogs and Kitties

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by cztardust, Apr 11, 2018.

1. cztardust

cztardust Member

May 29, 2013
    As pets get older, they have a lot of the same aches and pains we do.
    We've had two camping buddies that were brought up together.
    A rescue dog and rescue cat, brought home the same day and raised
    together. Our dog passed a couple years back, but we still have the cat and take her with us camping. Age has got her rear hips tender and you can see she struggles to get up and down making small hops onto the sofa. Once there, she sleeps virtually all day and all night.
    That being said, she absolutely loves camping. Sitting on the bed end, watching the birds and activity outside and getting all the fresh air is good for her. She's never misbehaved... Once I explained she was not allowed to put paws on the screens, she was amazingly good about it. You can actually see a spark of life back in her eye by the time she gets home. I did not want to take that away from her.
    I built her graduated steps last year to get up into one of the bed ends and this year I brought her steps in our house and added foam to the tops of the steps.
    Folks, I can't tell you how much she has improved. The foam absorbs the shock of her weight and gives the hips a chance to heal. She's done really well over the last few months now. I have to say, if she had the foam steps to her favorite spots in the house to begin with, she may have even done better all along.
    I can see where after this year she will have to retire from camping, but just wanted to share that with you all. Maybe it will make a difference for your pets :)

Jorja, BelchFire and Katskamper like this.
  2. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    ive never tried to take my cats camping. none of them like riding in the truck!

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I made steps so 2 of our aging dogs could get up on the bed, we also have them in the house for the same reason. Our cats do not like to go camping. I also made ramps for the steps at home for the same reason it makes it a lot easier for them.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Have you tried fish oil? Started giving it to my older dog a few months ago and I've seen a noticable improvement. No more limping after a long walk. She loves the taste.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have a senior dog and cat myself both 15 years. My cat does have some aches and pains but incontanance is her biggest problem. So sadly because I don't want cat pee all over my camper which I could never get out, she has to stay at home. I give her walks in her stroller during the warmer days of the year so she can get some fresh air and see the sites which she loves. The dog has caterats, going deaf, and also some bathroom issues but I take him camping all the time and he loves it. I do keep him in a crate at night to prevent accidents at night which is common for him, in his age but workable. I do have to help him up on the beds/couch as his shoulder and knees are not up to the task anymore but he has ways to let me know he needs the elevator. :).

myride likes this.
  6. Jorja

Jorja Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Delaware
    Also Glucosamine for dogs. Our two seniors are on it (I have it in the horse powder form - equine cosequin - and know the dosage to add to their food mixed with Nupro - a vitamin gravy supplement - and fish oil)

I have found the equine cosequin much cheaper than the dog glucosamine in powder or liquid form. Just have to calculate your dosage.