Separated window zipper

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Pit 4 Brains, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    Ok, so what's the best way to get a zipper back together on a bunk side window? I'm thinking about cutting a short section off one end and trying to get the pull restarted.
    I did a search but didn't come up with anything.

-Pete

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Did the slider come off, or is the zipper not staying shut behund the slider?

3. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    The slider is on one half but has departed the other. I can't find an end to back it up to and restart.

4. Fless

Fless Active Member

@Pit 4 Brains,

It sounds like the slider opened up a little or is worn. After aligning the slider as close to the correct teeth as possible, metal sliders can be bent back together. Plastic sliders will break if you try that.

Here's another possible solution:

JoAnn Fabrics, Amazon, etc. have new zipper sliders, but you'll need to know what size and type the zipper and teeth are.
    _

5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Do you have a photo? There are repair kits and tricks, but it will depend on type of sipper and how the zipper tape is sewn into the fabric. For example, instead of cutting the tap, you may be able to unpick a seam, put the slider back on (snugging it up so it doesn't come off again) and resew the seam. Then you wouldn't be left with a free end to keep from raveling and having to bat tack or similar to keep the pull on it.

6. mrkrag

mrkrag New Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    You could try to pry the zipper stop off at the starting end of the zipper (on the flat side of the pull) to get the pull all the way past where the zipper begins and then restart it. If the stopper stays intact, reapply it. Or sew across the zipper to do the job. Or get another Vuslon zipper pull online for under $1.
    That would be my method

7. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    I'll get a pic posted today. I was busy cleaning canvas yesterday.

8. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    Any idea what size are on a '99 coleman bunk window? How are these things measured?
    I'm looking at some repair kits on Amazon that might be handy to have in the pup while on the road.

9. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It really depends, there are several types of zippers that have been used in outdoor applications.
    Metal or nylon/plastic. If the latter, toothed or coil. To add to the confusion, at some point YKK changed the slider slightly.
    The size is measured across the teeth/coil, I can't find the chart I saw in the past.
    May be some help, thegreenpepper PDF catalog has some info on measuring zippers etc. on the related pages:
    https://www.therainshed.com/zipper-tips--tricks.htm
    https://www.therainshed.com/structure-and-tips-for-zippers.htm
    http://www.thegreenpepper.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/catalog-118.pdf
    The zipper repair kits, such as the one from Gear Aid and others on Amazon, may be helpful. They have a pretty good assortment of zipper pulls and should have installation instructions.

10. Pit 4 Brains

Pit 4 Brains New Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Mesa Az
    Thanks for the info. I did a little e-learning before I took my son to the museum and found out some info, but not what I needed to order anything specific. i do know that the zipper is nylon and was made by Talon. They are still in business so I'm going to try and contact them to see if they have a fix.
    The zippers in my pup tenting have no beginning or end, they are just sewn in as one piece so restarting looks to be difficult at best. I tried to open up one side and get it back on but when I went to crimp it back on, the slide busted apart.