Set up, stabalizers before roof up?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Dragonfli032, May 10, 2017.

1. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    hello I am new at this, but am getting conflicting information on set up. I have read that if you put the stabilizers down before putting the roof up you can damage them. But I emailed Rockwood and they say it doesn't really matter but they prefer you put them down before raising the roof. What are your thoughts and experiences?

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I can't see how putting them down first would damage anything. I don't think it matters which comes first. I always put the stabs down first so I wouldn't be surprised with a pop up wheelie when I went to bed after earlier getting side tracked and forgetting the stabilizers.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    rockwood is correct, however there are some manuals of PUs with different lift systems that claim lift system damage may occur! This forum is proof that not unlatching ALL 4 corners before cranking up WILL cause damage [!]

I prefered a solid foundation before cranking, follow your manufacture's directions.

upstate family likes this.
  4. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My manual says to put stabs down first, then lift. I follow that.

5. Dragonfli032

Dragonfli032 Member

Mar 22, 2017
    Reno, NV
    [Guitar]Awesome! Thanks all, my manual actually doesn't address set up, which is why I reached out to them. You have helped make that worry disappear

6. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    We have a Coleman Utah. We have always put the stabilizers down first. However, when I had our manual out the other day looking for how much weight the stepper door would carry, I noticed that the manual had a very clear caution about not lowering the stabilizers prior to lifting the roof. Doing so could cause undue stress on the trailer frame and lift system.

So, we'll try it the manufacturer's way the next time we're out. I just hope we remember that we've changed the order before we step into the camper.

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    My 98 Casa Grande specifies stabs down after raising.

8. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Like MrsSquid, I have a Fleetwood and my manual stresses the up-down-up-down method. On arrival at camp, put the top up, then put the stabilizers down. When leaving, put the stabilizers up, then the top down. Up-down-up-down.

Having said that, I often get it out of sequence and so far, no harm has been done (maybe because I don't crank really hard on the stabs?).

Additionally, you have a Rockwood, so Fleetwood instructions wouldn't apply to you. Since Forest River said "stabs first", go for it. I've done it that way and probably will again.

9. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    We lift top about 3 inches to get stabilizer crank out and set stabs then lift roof reverse procedure when taking down. No issues no problems i feel better thinking the lift posts wont bind as them go up. Just our system that works for us

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Mine too!

11. chefaleslie

chefaleslie Always looking for a great MOD

Feb 9, 2013
    Sisters, OR
    Flagstaff is stab's down, top up.

upstate family likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I would go with what your manual says. Every manufactures apparently are different when it comes to to this. I also have the Utah and it says stabilizers down after roof is up.

BelchFire likes this.
  13. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    My Jayco says Level, Stabilize, Lift.

14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  15. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Active Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    I'm curious as to what factors prompt the various manufacturers in their different procedures for either lifting the top or lowering the stabilizers first. Is it materials used? Is it build processes? Is it some combination thereof? It's just kind of interesting to read the posts from folks with different popups.

16. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I have wondered this myself and as an engineer, I tend to think that it's got to do with the design of the lifting mechanism. Fleetwoods/Colemans have a series of telescoping rectangular tubes that are lifted by a series of short cables working off of one main cable per corner. If you were to flex any corner enough, the telescoping aspect of the tubes might become bound up and add excess stress to the system resulting in a broken cable. From a manufacturing standpoint, you want to use it the same way it's built and I doubt very seriously that the corner tubes are put into place and squared with the stabilizers down (there's a good video on YouTube that shows Fleetwood campers being assembles and they're just sitting on the floor). Having said that, Fleetwoods have the most robust frame that I've personally seen in a p'up, so I kind of doubt that you could get that much flex if you level the way you should and stabilize without a lot of undue force on the stabilizers. Now if you were to try to level with the stabilizers alone, you might very well buy yourself a heap of trouble, but we all know not to do that ... right? :) At any rate, that's the way I've always figured it. As for the opposite sequence for Forest River products (and others), I have no idea their reasoning.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    chefaleslie and MrsSquid like this.
  17. ThePatrams

ThePatrams Member

Jun 18, 2015
    Alberta, CAN
    @#$%&!!!!

Yeah, always unlatch all four corners. I, um, heard from a, uh, friend that leaving even just one closed will pretty much ruin your week.

18. Fless

Fless Active Member

My 2002 Coleman Cheyenne manual says to 1) level; 2) raise the roof; and 3) stabilize. After leveling I typically run the stabs down within an inch or two of the ground; that way if a problem occurs any tipping is minimized. That also allows the frame to flex somewhat while raising the roof. After the roof is up I complete the stabilizer adjustment.

19. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
  20. motorican

motorican Who's lost? just takin' the scenic route

Mar 9, 2011
    check out this video of a rockwood camper

Dragonfli032 likes this.