settings on new brake controller?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by lkc, May 3, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all--Had a new Tekonsha P3 controller installed on my 2016 Frontier 4x4---it came with a tow package as part of the vehicle. My trailer is @ 1,500 empty.

Instructions state that per the weight of my vehicle & trailer I should set the controller to the P1 level, (TV is heavier than the trailer)---then set the boost to my braking preference. My question is: how would I know where to even start with the boost preference?

Anyone have this brake controller & a comparable TV?

Thank you for any info

2. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've bought a break controller for my truck that I need to have installed along with the wiring for the 7-way connector. How much did they charge for the installation?

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I tested mine on a country back road going 25 mph and adjusted so when I put on the electric brakes it would not slide the trailer wheels. On my P2 my setting was a 6 for my 4200 lbs loaded POPUP trailer.

Roy Ken

4. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hi Mamie---I took mine to an aftermarket place that does trailer hitches, fancy bumpers, etc, etc for trucks--was referred to me by an auto dealer. You can go to an RV dealer, but it usually takes them forever to find time to book you an appointment or they have to keep it for a ridiculous amount of time.

You can also check around at some of the auto sound places that install stereos & after market cameras & in-dash GPS/entertainment units---they already know where all that stuff under the dash is & they can tell you whether they will have to run wires or if you have a plug & play already under your vehicle's dash.

No need to have new wiring run & all that splicing if your vehicle already has a factory installed plug. Most newer vehicles that come with a tow package already have the plug there & it is in the wiring bundle under the dash. If you go to an auto sound place you will probably need to bring in your own brake controller & vehicle specific wiring harness (if applicable for your vehicle)--I purchased these from e-trailer.com.

I paid $125.00 for just the install and they were fast.

5. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Roy--so if I understand you correctly, you set it so it was just before it would lock up the trailer tires? Thanks

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    IKE - DO THIS ON A BACK ROAD SOMEWHERE...

This is what GOOGLE SAYS on how to set your BRAKE CONTROLLER...

"Turn the power control knob on the brake controller to its mid-point setting.

Drive the rig up to a speed of approximately 25 mph and release the accelerator.

Slide the 'manual control lever' on the front of the brake controller all the way over to its maximum limit. (NOT THE TRUCK BRAKE PEDAL)

Note the braking action of the trailer. If the trailer wheels locked up or skidded on the pavement, turn the power lever down to the next setting. If trailer braking was not sufficient to slow down the entire rig, turn up the power knob to its next setting.

Repeat the driving and braking test and make adjustments as necessary. Continue to make adjustments until trailer wheel-skid has been eliminated and there is sufficient trailer brakes to slow the entire rig down noticeably."

ETRAILER.com will have some UTUBE VIDEO on this setting procedure as well...

Hope this helps

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Don't have a power control knob---settings are done from the onboard screen with up/down arrows.

Thank you

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Get up to about 25 and manually apply the trailer brakes via the controller. If you want more braking push the up arrow. If you want less, push the down arrow.

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    My truck has a 4-way trailer connector and I need a 7-way. I've already bought my connectors and brake controller. Expressway Oil is just down the street and I have my car and truck serviced there. I didn't have any idea what it could cost, but at least $125 gives me some idea.

10. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    YMMV---If you're going to need new connectors wired in that will definitely be more costly if you need to have new wiring from the front of your TV to the hitch. Mine came with a tow package & an extra plug under the dash specifically wired for a brake controller.

11. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Thank you for the responses-----yes, I have read the manual & understand how to get to the settings

---was just trying to get an idea of what others may have their boost set at & how aggressive they like their brakes to function.

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Good question, we do not know what you store in your popup. the empty weight is worthless information. look at the max weight only.

13. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I'll take it in and get an estimate.