Shelves in the pup.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Sjm9911, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ok , so has anyone did this mod? Since i will be going to Disney in October, im thinking i need some more space in the pup. I was thinking of adding shelves to both bunk ends for clothing. And a shelf rack over the sink for food. So mod 1 that i want to try is this vid.
    Anyone try this or have problems with it?
    The second one will be the pressure shower rods to hold up 2 wire shelves over the sink, for food and dry goods?

Anyone try or have theses mods? likes and dislikes about the ideas? Thanks....

HappyTraveler and Wild Poppy like this.
  2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I'm anti-extra setup and the fact that those pop themselves into position is pretty cool. I'd like to see what extra effort it adds to tucking in the canvas though. A cargo net would be more my style. :)

I did break down and get a shelf for the kitchen area. I mostly just wanted a place for paper towels...but I didn't want to add a lot of effort so just got a shelf that fit on the counter and sits on the floor for travel. This one, or similar. It's not massive but it helps, and no campsite assembly: https://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Micr...crowave+shelf&qid=1551329283&s=gateway&sr=8-5

3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We sleep parallel with the camper so my head would be under that shelf. Coleman had a 6in narrow shelf in the same place in some models. I haven't added it but may in the future. I don't think the big wire shelf would work for us.

Here's the Beckley's overpriced OEM part:

https://colemanpopupparts.com/products/tip-out-shelf

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like Tzmartin I sleep with my feet inside and my head would be under that shelf. I pictured one too many banged heads. Especially if I heard a noise outside and spring awake. I can see where it could work if you sleep with the head in or on the side. I personally just kept it simple and cut up a over the door shoe organizer added Velcro and hang it from the back bar. Perfect place for keys, books, glasses etc. I also added a bathroom curtain rod in front of each bunk and hung a sweater organizer from that. Although a little tacky it collapses on its own and no extra effort, or setup is needed. I’m the type that like to keep things simple. I saw someone who had a pressure mounted shelf system. They did need to add blocks on the roof to seat the rod because if it was windy the shelf system could slip and fall.

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have added that shelf. I really like it. I used Paracord and some cord cinchers instead. However you have to be careful on packing. Since I have a mattress topper it is pretty tight and the shelf ended up wearing a small hole through the top of my canvas. I started playing a bath towel over it to help but this year I am going to put a piece of split rubber tubing over the length and hope that helps. The problem area is the upturned lip of the shelf.

I also added the galley shelves. I absolutely love having the extra storage space but it does add significantly to set up and tear down. You really need to screw in the cups for the rods though. I tried the industrial Velcro which worked for a session but the bottom ones kept popping off when I was closing the bunks. I removed the Velcro and used a wood screw to secure and no more issues. Then last year the top ones started sliding off while under a moderate to heavy load so I will be anchoring them this spring as well.

For an extended trip the shelving is awesome but it is not so helpful on a one to two night camp due to the extra time. However it is probably one of my most favorite mods I have made to my camper.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I added a couple of CLOSET SHELVES kits (LOWES) to the top of one of my floor cabinets... Get to set my microwave and TV on top and get the use of several small places to store some things.

Of course all of this has to sit in the middle of the trailer when we bring the top down for transport...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image...

This is an older picture - have newer TV now hehe... I added peg board backs to the shelves so nothing would fall out the back... Everything fits in the middle area when we break down for travel...

Here is the other side of the trailer with our light in the window sitting on that cabinet top...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Behind the wrap around lounge is the second tent bed area and this is our catch all area since normally only two of us the on our outings sleeping in the front tent bed… Like having my POPUP Trailer front deck under the tent bed. Since the rear tent bed is open under it who knows what will wander under it when you are asleep hehe...

Sometimes it becomes a challenge getting everything in the floor area when sliding in the tent bed ends for travel hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Sjm9911

Cool , good feedback so far. I did wonder about the canvas and the shelf. I agree it needs something to protect the canvas. Better safe then sorry. Yea, i dont want the extra set up time, but 10 days or so in disney, i think ill need it.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My son used to attend camp halfblood in Austin. This is a week long day camp so someone has to be there to drop off and pick up after a full day of quests and swordfighting. This was the main reason I bought the pup. Last summer we spent 11 days I think at the state park. The shelves make a huge difference for an extended trip like that. I kept all my dry food up there along with some supplies. We would bring only what we needed for the first night or two and hit a supermarket for the rest. I usually would plan to restock every couple days as the fridges would only hold so much.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Sjm9911

Thats the plan , hit the supermarket on day one. And bring a dorm type fridge and leave it under the pop up room. Hopefully the electric hook ups at disney will be good.

10. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

You'll love Disney. We go there about twice a year. I recommend enjoying the resort by pacing yourself with the parks.

11. Sjm9911

Also have to say i miss orchard, without her all of this would not be possible. The whole disney thing. Now im bummed that she will not see it done or atually meet us there. ( or will she?!?!) Praying for you my girl! Hope you are ok! Even if she dosent see this or go , i will set up a tribute night, for her.

12. mydogteaser

mydogteaser New Member

We have the bunk end shelves in our pup. We love them. They fold flat when putting the pup down. We use Caghlon sleeping bag straps to secure them. They add maybe a minute to set up and take down. They were very simple for my husband to make and it didn't take long for him to do the project. They are very handy for reading material, flashlights, glasses cases, etc.

13. Sjm9911

20190417_091251-2016x980.jpg 20190417_091234-980x2016.jpg

Done, i like the shelves over the cabinites better, not sure how i feel about the bunk end ones yet.

14. Wild Poppy

Wild Poppy New Member

I'm planning on following this for bunk end shelves, this way it will lay flat when closed.
    http://www.oakscastle.com/trailer-shelf.php
    But that video is great, thanks! Have fun at Disney! Don't forget your ears!!
    20180508_165409.jpg

15. Sjm9911

I might reverse them thats why the straps are long, i havent decided what works best yet!
    Lol, yes i got them for my kid already. Trip is still a long way out!

16. p

p Active Member

My modification....
    -2 wire shelves 3 feet long each
    -4 chains
    -4 caribiner hooks

Chains hanging from roof to shelves. Two shelves...one on top of the other. Easy to put away.