Shepards Pole and Bunk end Support Poles Needed - Where do I go/Can I make them?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by MaxwellBV, May 29, 2019.

1. MaxwellBV

MaxwellBV New Member

Hi Everyone! I have been a stalker for a while now - just trying to absorb all of the vast knowledge on this site. Today I need some advice more than ever. My 1993 Palomino MXL Pop Up camper (that was in mint condition) was broken in to - vandalized and a lot was stolen from her (yes, it's a "her") lol..I have replaced the A/C unit and had the wood that was damaged replaced. Now I need your help with either buying these or making these items:
    A Shepards Pole (They did leave me one ;) and all support poles for each bunkend, there are 4 total.
    Question is (and please forgive me if a Dumb question) how do you know how long the support Poles are supposed to be?
    Can I just pull the beds out and measure from the bottom of the bed where the bracket is to the hole at the bottom of the camper?
    Wondering how hard it is and how expensive it is to make these items. I did see that the local Home Depot carries Conduit (5 ft, 10 ft) - how hard and exactly how do you cut this and flatten one end? (I saw you guys told one fellow Pop-UP member to use Conduit)-

I am in Georgia - Lawrenceville City / Gwinnett County to be exact -
    If anyone can help I would very much appreciate it.[:D]
    Much Thanks,
    Vanessa
    P.S. - Also (not an urgent thing - but I need to replace the fridge and the slide inside outside stove that was stolen as well) - any thoughts on that?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If you can give a picture or at least tell what material they are.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I remember someone using conduit for the supports with the flat end. Hopefully they see this and chime in. The shepherds pole can be bent, others have done it.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

CarlaCB and MaxwellBV like this.
  5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I used to live in Auburn, right outside Lawrenceville. I would call Forrest River and ask them if they have replacement parts. Also call Campers Inn in Tucker. They used to be a Coleman dealer, but they now carry Forrest River. I always found their parts department quite helpful, though they might have totally new ownership now.

6. MaxwellBV

MaxwellBV New Member

InkedShepard Pole_LI.jpg Inked1996 palomino_LI.jpg PALOMINO like mine.jpg

7. MaxwellBV

MaxwellBV New Member

Here are some pictures that I found online. The camper looks like mine. Hope this makes it more clear as to what I am asking about. Thanks again!

8. MaxwellBV

MaxwellBV New Member

Thank you so much Bruce. Campers Inn does have a whole new management team. Not helpful at all. I actually bought the camper from that location when it was PECO. But the Parts Department has really sucked since those days. They sent me to Coleman popupparts.com (thanks #tfischer) and unfortunately I do not have more money than time - Skill maybe..but I am determined and a thrifty person... and I did try Forrest River - no luck.
    I do know where Auburn is as well - My Mom lived there for a long time. It has really built up over the years.

Vanessa

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Most likely 3/4 EMT. Can be made easily. I can assist you in how to do it if you go that route.

10. MaxwellBV

MaxwellBV New Member

That would be great and very much appreciated! Thank you! Thank you!

11. tim kinser

tim kinser New Member

I think I would flatten one end of metal conduit with a hammer the Jack the bunk up where itis supposed to and take the best measurement to the lock end and hack it off with a sawzall and file the burrs off. You may have to sacrifice a piece of conduit till you get close enough to get an exact measurement. As far as the Shepard's hook maybe you could use the one you still have to get an accurate measurement of how much more or less you need then call around to commercial electrical contractors and ask if they have a bender. Most do and maybe a generous one will bend it according to the old one and length according to your measurements

MaxwellBV likes this.
  12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I used half inch conduit and home Depot cut it for me. I used a 4lb sledge to flatten one end. Unfortunately, I was too short on one end.

MaxwellBV likes this.
  13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Too bad you can't find the same camper somewhere and get the measurements from that...

I know in my case all of these pole sections are stowed in the foot or so of empty space between the two tent beds when they are pushed in. They are all just laid in there and I have often thought what happens if I loose just one... I need to get a long pouch of some sort and keep all of the poles in that...

Since your model has hard sides I guess you don't need the Lifter Arm Safety Posts to put in place between the raised top and the trailer frame walls to keep the top from failing down on you while sleeping...

I am referring to these..
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image from manual

I did make up two addition safety posts from rain gutter stock from LOWES. I like to have one in each corner and after I get setup I can back off on the crank up to relieve pressure on the raise cable...

I too went to look in the COLEMAN PARTS link above and notice the have different lengths of these poles... Who really knows how long yours are... You need to borrow some from another like trailer and then measure them I guess... All in total I have at least 10 or 12 of these poles... I need to put all of these in a bag of some sort when I take down my popup trailer. Gonna catch me one of these days when I loose one of them...

Love your hard walls on your trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

MaxwellBV likes this.
  14. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Roy, try an old camp chair bag.

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I think I have Coleman tent bag in the garage not being used anymore... I know I can get the smaller length in it... The Shepard hook pipes will just lay on top on the pile...

I keep adding things to that 12-15 inch wide spot I have haha... The last thing that got put in there was my BATWING Antenna and its support poles that go up the side of my POPUP...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I'm going to run out of room one of these days hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]