Shore water system?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Grandpa Don, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    I've got a question. I have a 2003 Viking 1906 PUP. I'm not having any problems with it, but today I was doing some routine maintainence on the inside. I noticed that my shore (City) water input line is not connercterd to anything. There is a port on the outside of the camper with a tube running inside and under my cabinet near the fresh water tank. But it is not connected to anything. It is manually plugged so no water would come out if I did connect it. I have never used City water, so I never noticed it before. What is it supposed to be connected to?

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Thank you for moving my thread to the proper one.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    It should be connected to the water piping just after the water pump outlet.

4. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Actually I don't have a water pump. My faucet is a hand pump system with one water line running to the main supply tank. The manual says that if I connect to shore water all I have to do is move the faucet handle all the way forward and I will have shore water. But there is no place to connect the shore water line to the faucet. Is it missing something?

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If you post a photo of your pump you have now, maybe we can figure something out. Usually a hand pump should have 2 inlets.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Here is a photo of my pump. I would have expected to see two ports on it, but there is only one. That's why I was asking if there was some component missing on mine. Maybe at some time in the distant past someone changed out the original pump. I am the third owner of the PUP. To me it is not worth adding a Shore water system. But I am very glad I discovered this before I ever tried to hook it up. That could have been a mess!

Attached Files:

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Don how about the other side ...... please

8. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Good idea! Here it the top side of the faucet, and the hose coming from the Shore Water port on the outside of the PUP. It does appear as though someone has removed the original faucet at some point. I'm sure glad I decided to check this out. Can you imagine what would have happened to the inside of the PUP if I would have connected it to Shore Water. I would have needed a Life Jacket!

Attached Files:

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    You have me stumped. I have looked and looked. This pump to me seems to only pump for a tank. You pull the lever toward you to pump. And back all the way to shut it off. This seems to me the dumbest pump ever. It like a top of a hand lotion bottle. There is a kit to repair it ...... but why bother.
    To use city water you would need another faucet. This would drive me crazy.
    A "lowboy 2 way " pump would do both ...... pump from the tank and city water.
    Google Leisure Components #131-5 2 way pump.
    If you really want to do a nice job ....... install an on-demand water pump. You can then tee the city water at the output of the pump and run one line to a single faucet ......... Or don't tee and have city to one side of the faucet and the on demand to the other.

There is one other thing you could try. Take the pump out of the camper and hook a garden hose to it and see if it would control the water. If it does you maybe able to tee into your tank line but you need a check valve to prevent the city water from overfilling your water tank. You would also have to put a good sealing cap on the city water inlet when not using city water. The pump would want to shuck air thru it.

10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Many years ago I had a full-size hard side camper trailer. It had the on-demand pump system. So I'm familiar with the options. But at this point, I really don't think I'm going to do anything or make any changes. I camp by myself and rearly go to a campground where I can hook up anyway. Most of my camping is off the grid and out in the sticks. I'm just glad I checked this out before hand. This little hand pump puts out quite a stream of water as it is.

11. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Raycfe,

Why did you have to go and show me that new system? Damn! Now I'm going to have to spend money and convert my PUP to the new faucet, pump and strainer. I guess I will also have to get a pressure regulator.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The pressure regulator goes on the garden hose connection on the outside of the camper. Get a brass one. You will need a faucet, on-demand pump and an on/off switch. I'm thinking it can be done for around $100.00.
    You will thank me the first time you turn on the faucet and have nice easy water.

13. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Yes, I've already checked pricing. About $100.00 is correct.