Should I add electric brakes to Ranger 12?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by razcob, May 11, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sway control bar can help also. As well as inflated tires and not going 80!

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

if your axle has the backing plate mounting flanges for electric brakes - the brakes themselves are easy to add, though its a few $ for the hardware and new hubs with drums. Getting a full 7 wire harness with Plus 12V Minus 12V & Brake up to the front of your TV is the harder part. My 7 wire OEM harness is still sitting in its box as I work up enough gumption to install it (already done the under-car wire route twice, once for 4-wire trailer, once for backup camera).

3. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

My 2018 Ranger 12 came equipped with electric brakes. My tv is a Toyota Tacoma with a tow package that can handle up to 6500lbs. I often camp in the Blue Ridge mountains and having the electric brakes makes the whole experience much safer and worry free.

4. mark/wi

mark/wi New Member

My 2019 Aliner Scout Park came with brakes and glad it did. In Wisconsin 3000lb.and above need brakes, so by law I do not need them,
    but I think it is a good investment for many reasons. I tow with a 2016 Dodge Caravan. Mark

5. kennedyma

kennedyma Member

As somebody who added brakes to their 2005 Jayco 10z last weekend I say go for it! I don’t have a lot of miles on them yet, but around town they have worked very well.

TV: 2017 JKU
    Camper: 1,850 dry weight.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. jadmt

jadmt Member

according to my 2014 brochure all Aliners come standard with electric brakes and break away switch.

Rik Peery and PointyCamper like this.
  7. razcob

razcob Member

Since, i installed a new 3500 lbs axle, with electric brakes to my Aliner, I can say it gives me greater confidence when making abrupt stops.

supersaiyan93 and kennedyma like this.
  8. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

I just got back from a 6,000 mile round trip trek from South Louisiana to San Francisco and back. We went through some twisty canyon and mountain roads, some incredibly gusty winds, and more trucks flying past me than I can count and never felt like I was under-braked with my 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5. Also never felt any appreciable sway. I think the particular TV makes the difference, so YMMV. Glad to hear it helped for you.

However, since I saw it in an earlier post, be careful with those Carlyle radials. Had a blowout on TX 287 just outside of Witchita Falls, TX while going a bit over 70 mph on a cool evening. I was only going that speed for a few hours since it was getting late and I was pushing to my next destination.

I’m very fortunate that there wasn’t any other damage except to the rim.

I would recommend a more heavy duty tire with a good speed rating if you ever head west to the land of 80mph speed limits (not that we should tow that fast, but still...)

I’m still trying to determine what I want that tire to be for me as well. Made it home on the spare and I’m still mulling it over.

9. supersaiyan93

supersaiyan93 Member

[​IMG]