Shower drains to ??

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by DanDiego, Nov 26, 2018.

1. DanDiego

DanDiego New Member

Jul 23, 2018
    we have a new to us 2005 Viking 2465st - which has more than we could have expected - including a shower. My assumption was that it drained to the same place as the sink water - an outlet on the side of the body. Of course, thinking twice, the shower water would need to be 'lifted' (or pumped) to reach the level of the water outlet. So, how does the shower drain?

Yesterday, I made my first foray under the chassis mostly to look at the mechanics of the lift system, but I noted a large (over 1") diameter drain plugged. But, the tether on the cap was rotted off and there was a hole right in the middle of the cap - which I assume had been plugged with the tether end. So, if that IS the cap from the shower, it would leak as it sits right now (before we unplugged it).

I see nothing in the owner's manual about shower operation.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this model drains the shower? and if this is the drain on the bottom, what is the practical way of capturing the water??

ps, there is also a wooden boxed 'thing' on the curb side rear underneath. The box is about the size of an adult shoebox. Any ideas what that might contain? or protect? or ???

thanks in advance for your answers - or speculation.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Pour some water in the shower drain and see where it comes out. What is in the camper above the "box"? Pictures of the box and drain may help someone answer your questions.

emoney and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    My Flagstaff came with this adapter to put on when using shower.
    [​IMG]
    I bought a Grey Water Tote to catch the shower water since the shower drain is on the right side of camper and use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the sink water from drain that is on the left side of camper.
    upload_2018-11-27_6-27-45.jpeg .
    Not sure what the box is you are talking about. Good luck!

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    760B94F6-184F-4C56-947A-C19F3F1F486E.jpeg Where does one buy these. My shower outlet is 1 1/2”. upload_2018-11-27_7-57-38.jpeg

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Thats low dan! You can also frakinstin something together from pvc. Its a normal pipe thread.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Dan Easiest way is to use the shower at the CG. If you shower in the unit you will have to empty the tote after a shower (assuming it is a 5 gal. tote,) there are bigger totes available also the shower in a PUP leaves a mess to clean up, I had one awhile back and we used the shower once you also probably have a wet bath meaning the toilet and shower are together so everything in the shower gets wet and you have wipe everything down also remember to remove the tp etc. or it gets wet too. Good Luck and happy Camping

7. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Unless you get a full hook up campground! I liked the shower for my 7yo , easly to clean the grime off every night before bed. What works well for one might not work well for others.

8. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Does that verticle pipe tie directly to the shower drain? If so, you need a hose/tote hooked up to it when showering. What does the horizontal pipe connect to? I used my PUP shower all the time. My PUP shower had it's own gray tank that would hold 5-6 gallons of water. There was a gate valve that I would open when I was somewhere where I could drain the shower gray tank.

9. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I don't know your model pup, but the best advice above is to run water through the shower and see where it goes, lol.

10. DanDiego

DanDiego New Member

Jul 23, 2018

Thanks, JPBar. Maybe that's what is missing - though, being a tall guy, I don't relish crawling under the trailer each time to hook up a drain. The good news is that we were expecting a 'tent on wheels' and with all the features of this rig, we are very pleasantly surprised. The heater worked very well on our first outing (last month), and the ac and dc power worked great. We haven't tried the refrigerator or the plumbing (fresh and brown) yet. And, after two nights of midnight walks to the restroom, my wife is ready to use the cassette toilet next time.

With the rig in our (sloped) driveway, we can't open it at will, so it will be our next prep or outing before I can run water through the drain. We have zero on board holding tanks (no gate valves) so I suspect it is the shower drain - but a shower is not something we would use very often anyway in the rig.

I will take another look at the 'mysterious box' and possibly open it up one way or another. I don't think that a photo of the box itself will help.

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Everything on mine comes to the low drain area... I have to capture the waste water and haul off somewhere...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

the white hose is tapped into the sink drain. You can see the shower drain for the cassette pottie shower just above the first blue water tote...

We most often camp off grid so the waste water goes up under a tree somewhere. If near a bath room house it goes down the pot in the bath room... Some camp sites have a waste gray water drain in the camp rolls...

Have used an hose adapter to the sewer drain if the camp site has one…

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Mine has a dedicated 20gal tank that only the shower drains to. Sink drains out the side of the trailer. It would be pretty obvious if yours had a tank when you get underneath it. From what you describe it sounds like it drains straight down, so you would need to hook up some sort of hose drain assembly to pipe the water to a tote.

13. DanDiego

DanDiego New Member

Jul 23, 2018

back underneath again - and I am pretty sure that the drain pipe is from the shower. The box protects a cutout in the flooring where a trap was added to the pipe - before it continues to thru the floor to the outlet.

I was wondering whether to run a pipe from the door side current outlet to the drain/hookup side so all the drains would be on one side. It would run above the piping for the lift system so it would not be the lowest item on the undercarriage. But, if my wife never intends to use the shower, it's not worth modifying. Still, it seems that the shower would be a good feature to have in order to rinse off grandkids or beach sand - but, it would need its own catch tank.

14. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I used pool flex pipes on mine, then conected them together, it hase to be done each time i set up, but it was eaisier then permenetly pipeing it in. My drains are on opposit sides of the pup.

15. DanDiego

DanDiego New Member

Jul 23, 2018

Does anyone make a pair of drain jugs that automatically overflow into the second? seems to me that it would be a great 'failsafe' rather than having a single jug twice as big.

16. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
  17. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I made my drain to exit on the left side of camper.
    Parts were: 10 feet 1 1/2 PVC pipe, 3- 90 elbows, 1- Valterra T1029-1 termination adapter-3"bayonet X 3 " spigot, 1- 3 " X 1 1/2" PVC reducing Coupling, 1- Valterra T1020-1 waste valve cap. 1- 1 1/2" plastic double slip joint connector. Took about 2 hours for me to complete, but I am an Old Fart. Good luck in your project!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Thats what i did, if you can get the idea. One hose on each side, then to the drain. Made more for full hook up sites.

Attached Files:

19. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Here is what the final outcome was

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.