Sienna or Odyssey

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by TNDawg, Mar 22, 2018.

1. TNDawg

TNDawg New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Not just for towing, but for everyday life with 3 early/pre teen boys.

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Both good. I used to have a sienna. I think the odyssey is more stylish and drives better while the sienna has a more conservative appearance and a cushier ride. Both are very low in the back end when you add a tow hitch and put a pup on it so neither works well if you have a steep driveway. Both have limited towing and weight capacities. Either one you choose, make sure it has the factory tow hitch which includes needed cooling components. Consider a Honda Pilot instead?

3. TNDawg

TNDawg New Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thanks Giadiep. Current TV is an 06 Pilot with 230K. DW is looking for an upgrade & more space for those non-camping trips. Pilot will remain in the family, but once she gets spoiled I doubt she'll go slumming.

4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Nothing beats a minivan for family space as a daily driver. I’d lean towards odyssey if I had to have a minivan. The sienna I had was good (2011), but interior felt cheap even though it was an xle.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Oh boy... the great Ford vs. Chevy debate revised! [:D] My vote (my opinion, fwiw) is for the Sienna, only because in MY EXPERIENCE (I'm not looking to get hung) they seem to be, overall, more trouble free.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    We have a town and country and love it. Ours is a 2014. The stow and go seating is a game changer for us. I do a lot of scout campouts and the ability to fold both rows into a flat load floor is awesome. The stowable roof rack is pretty cool as well. My Yakima cargo pod fits the stock bars and it comes in super handy on road trips so we are not cramped inside. A couple of our friends have siennas and odysseys and they all stated they prefer ours and wish they looked at the Chrysler when they were getting theirs.

arge likes this.
  7. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Sep 27, 2012
    We own a 2011 Chrysler t+c and a 2013 Odyssey. When we bought the Odyssey we also considered a Sienna. Most people I know that have the Toyota like them, but I thought the interior was very cheesy and couldn't get over that. The Odyssey is a solid van with a very smooth engine and good handling. Outside of an early transmission failure it's been trouble free.
    The Chrysler is our tow vehicle and handles that well. It isn't as nice but cost so much less than the Honda. Reliability has actually been good as well. I'd buy either one before I'd get a sienna from that timeframe just because I don't like the interior. I have heard Toyota has improved the interior in recent years so when we replace a van it will probably make the short list again.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    As shown in my signature, we went with the Sienna. We didn’t bite, but if AWD would be advantageous, the Sienna is the only minivan to offer it.

You won’t find a single new Sienna on the lot with a hitch. Toyota doesn’t make a hitch for it. Rather, almost all Siennas come standard with the Towing Prep Package (some AWD may not). All you have to add is a hitch and wiring and it’s good for 3,500 lbs towing.

Another plus of the Sienna is that it has a nice high GCWR. On our 2016, there is almost enough GCWR overhead to tow a full 3,500 lbs and still load up almost 1,000 lbs of payload (minus tongue weight of course). Plus, I think the 2018 Odyssey’s are only 3,000 lbs towing unless you get the high end trims.

With either, you’ll probably want to add something to stiffen up the rear suspension. I went with airbags on ours and they are great.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I might be out of my mind but I only buy American. Can't bring myself to buying a foreign car. I try to buy everything American but it is almost impossible.

Fbird and kcsa75 like this.
  10. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    2018 Chrysler Pacifica (new minivan name) is made in Windsor Ontario.
    2018 Honda Odyssey is made in Alabama.
    2018 Toyota Sienna is made in Indiana.

Tough to figure out the definition of "made in America" nowadays.

I drive a Dodge Durango - made in Detroit. My wife drives a Toyota Tundra - made in San Antonio. As far as I'm concerned, they are both American made and support American labor.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    You can keep believing that until there is no more American companies making cars or planes or anything else.

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Look, I'm not trying to start a fight with you. I was agreeing with you that the lines are so blurred now that it is not a simple answer.
    My 2014 Dodge Durango was made in Detroit. My 2014 Toyota Tundra was made in San Antonio. Both were made in the US, but neither is a US company (Chrysler is owned by FIAT). Therefore, I try to buy cars that are at least built in a plant located in the US. Merely pointing out that the Chrysler Pacifica is thought of as a US vehicle, but manufactured in Canada and owned by FIAT.

13. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    A bit off topic, but an interesting discussion nonetheless.

Unfortunately there isn’t really much of an option in the minivan market. Ford and GM dropped out of the market years ago which leaves just a few models available.

Chrysler Pacifica/Dodge Grand Caravan: both built in Ontario, owned by a French company (Fiat)
    Toyota Sienna: built in Indiana
    Honda Odyssey: built in Alabama
    Nissan Quest: built in Japan
    Kia Sedona: built in South Korea

I guess the question is, what is more American? A traditional domestic brand that has been owned by foreign companies for decades and built in Canada, or a foreign owned company that builds in America? With today’s global economy, foreign vs domestic isn’t very clear cut.

Edit: looks like I was beat to the punch

crackerJack, shuang2 and giadiep like this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Also keep in mind the Pacifica and Caravan are not the same. Chrysler dropped the town and country for the Pacifica and Dodge kept the caravan. I have been in both and still prefer the caravan.

15. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    A couple of years ago I was on the market for a minivan. Gently used, not new, but not older than 5y
    The prefered order was:
    1 sienna. Good quality for some sort of premium price
    2 odyssey. Better reliability than sienna they said, but more expensive
    3 caravan. The bottom of the barrel. Cheap interior, nothing to write home about engine or transmission. But half price.

By the end I decided the caravan is the care that offers me what I need in terms of functionality and the others are coming way down on the list. I have three kids too.
    Stow and go is just brilliant.
    Two years later and are frequent situations when I am happy that I choose dodge.
    No issues with the car.
    Is not that comfortable as sienna, it may not be that poshy as honda, but has better use of the interior space and was less than half price for the same year (I end up buying a 2y old van)

16. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    To the OP. Each have positive and negative attributes. If you are looking new check all the bells and whistles and pick the one that has more that you like or the one that doesn't have what you dislike. As for used pick the one that is a better bang for the buck. Both are quality vehicles. I will admit Toyota went through a few years of uncomfortable interior options.

As someone who has benefited tremendously and been employed by Japanese companies for most of my adult life, the idea that Japanese vehicles made in America aren't supporting Americans is something I heavily disagree with. The amount of families that are employed by these companies is far reaching. The big three aren't going away unless they make poor business decisions. Subaru, Honda, and Toyota were all customers of mine in Indiana. You'd be hard pressed to find someone working in those plants to say the vehicles they produce aren't American made. The big three moved operations to mexico that left communities devistated here.

I'm not trying to convince anyone who believes our money should go to Detroit instead of Tokyo otherwise. I always speak up when it's brought up though as I feel that thought process undermines the work of many middle class people who are proud of what they do.

giadiep likes this.
  17. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    @JustRelax thanks for your perspective. By the way, how do you like the Expedition? I was thinking about getting a 2016 or 2017. My kids keep growing and I find my Durango a little tight when they bring a friend or two. Anything to watch out for with the Expedition?

18. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I love the Expedition. I would recommend the el as there is not much room behind the third row in the standard length. I've replaced the wiper relay, rear hatch switch, and the passenger exhaust manifold so maintenance has been a bit more than I'm used to but all relatively minor things. The ride is fantastic. We just took a trip to the smokys with 8 people comfortablely. It is quieter and smoother than the suburban that I had but this is 2wd and that was a z71 4wd. The other thing I like is the 3rd row is a 60/40 split that folds flat so I can put one down and still have 2 kids in the back. The chevy was a 50/50 split that had to pull out out or stay in the way but I think the last couple years chevy has made the seats like the ford. Overall I will likely replace with another expedition. It is my wife's daily.

19. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Thanks for the review.

20. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I completely admire this! I wish I could totally stand behind it... I get to work on pretty much every vehicle made and "unfortunately" I typically recommend Toyota to customers, friends and family... I really hate the path US manufacturers are taking (and I drive a GM!)....

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    Tylers88 likes this.