simple brake controller?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by wjquigs, May 23, 2018.

1. wjquigs

wjquigs New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Are there any brake controllers that simply plug into the 4-way flat connector? I'm borrowing a friend's Subaru to tow my pop-up, and he doesn't need a controller permanently installed.

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Make up your own plug and play harness - probably using a $25 wiring kit from walmart. You'll use it again later. Best not to mess with a buddy's stuff who is willing to loan out more than tools!

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Brake controller is usually installed in the front of the tv. I know of none that plug into the 4 prong flat connector, it simply would not work (as far as I know.) There is a plug that you can buy plugs in under the dash and into the back of the controller. ( Unless you are talking about something else)

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I'd build my own harness. Run on keyed power, brake and trigger from front inside car out the back - temp mount with velro to keep correct angle for controller. I'd make up a 7 way female that accepts the stock 4way for light/stop/tail/ground along with my temp 3 wire brake control harness and I'd be running it today. I don't want to draw it out because if you can't catch what needs to be done, you shouldn't be doing it - you should pay somebody to ensure you did it right and safe for you and the borrowed car's power system. Fuses aren't optional either....

5. wjquigs

wjquigs New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Are the 3 wires for +, ground, and brake?