simple brake controller?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by wjquigs, May 23, 2018.

1. wjquigs

wjquigs New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Are there any brake controllers that simply plug into the 4-way flat connector? I'm borrowing a friend's Subaru to tow my pop-up, and he doesn't need a controller permanently installed.

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Make up your own plug and play harness - probably using a $25 wiring kit from walmart. You'll use it again later. Best not to mess with a buddy's stuff who is willing to loan out more than tools!

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Brake controller is usually installed in the front of the tv. I know of none that plug into the 4 prong flat connector, it simply would not work (as far as I know.) There is a plug that you can buy plugs in under the dash and into the back of the controller. ( Unless you are talking about something else)

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I'd build my own harness. Run on keyed power, brake and trigger from front inside car out the back - temp mount with velro to keep correct angle for controller. I'd make up a 7 way female that accepts the stock 4way for light/stop/tail/ground along with my temp 3 wire brake control harness and I'd be running it today. I don't want to draw it out because if you can't catch what needs to be done, you shouldn't be doing it - you should pay somebody to ensure you did it right and safe for you and the borrowed car's power system. Fuses aren't optional either....

5. wjquigs

wjquigs New Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Are the 3 wires for +, ground, and brake?

6. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    I haven't tried this, but I think it would be worth a try: on the trailer, splice a short red wire into the brake light wire, and crimp a female spade connector. Splice a short blue wire into the trailer brake wire with male spade connector. Then run matching long blue and red wires up into the car/cab, to the controller. 12 gauge or thicker wire is recommended. Get a self-levelling controller (Hayes Genesis is $35 on ebay), tape it in place with painters tape, and power it from the cigarette lighter (be sure the lighter can give 10amps).

Normally, the brake controller taps into the brake pedal switch, which has variable output. The trailer brake light is just "off or on". I'm not sure whether the brake controller cares, because it has its own Mercury switch to determine how hard to brake. Maybe some controllers care.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The flat four connector at the bumper should not work. When turning and the turn signals are on the brakes would be also going on and off.

jnc likes this.
  8. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Good point. You could use a relay, which is on only when both left and right "turn" signals are on. (And then NOT use the hazards while in motion, as the controller would think you have the brakes on slightly).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    tombiasi likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Really? Do it right. They are brakes.

jnc likes this.
  10. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    No the 4 wires are, white-ground, brown-park lights, yellow--left turn/brake, green-right turn/brake. J Starsky was on the right path. You can get an adapter like this. Then all you need is wire, fuse holder and a controller. The only wire you should have to tap/ splice into would be the brake light. Everything else could be done as a temporary setup.

11. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen New Member

Jul 5, 2018
    The OP's question was: is it possible to drive trailer brakes from a 4-way connector. One answer is: there could be a way to do that, provided that you build the controller logic yourself. Another answer is "you can't possibly do that safely." Both answers could be right.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    tombiasi likes this.
  12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The correct answer is Keep It Stupid Simple. It's just as hard if not harder to screw around with this and that and maybe something else as it is to do it right the first time.

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Aug 8, 2013
    The simplest is to use a surge brake actuator on the PUP. Install and call it a day. Its his suburu unless he is okay with you splicing around and creating electrical issues for him to troubleshoot and fix. If you do he will never lend you anything for sure.

14. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
  15. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    That's a good find, and I may actually think about it if I ever replace my Silvey. I had thought about using two of these Delay off relays and a brake controller mounted in the pup, powered off of the pup battery. But with a Primus IQ controller and the two relays you're already close to $200.
    The controller posted by ezakoske is self contained, weatherproof, easier to adjust and probably more reliable.