Single male camper, camping alone?

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Rkcampers, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    I did this video posing the question single (not single, married but alone camping) is it creepy or not?

Fischymom, Dale1234 and XKPin like this.
  2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Try it when get old like me at 76 years old. The thugs will think you will be a easy target... Used to you would only see other folks a couple of times on a many day off-road trip. Now there is all kinds of folks wandering around the trails. I think some of them live out there now...

Most of the time I take my trusty ole yeller dog with me... He will bark to alert me when someone comes close...

I'm out alone within a 100 miles of here running my Radio Comms Emergency nets sometimes... Just me and my dog...

Yes it does get creepy sometimes... Used to do the same when we lived in AZ. It really got creepy there as the bad boy animals got larger haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

3. Pirate Pup

Pirate Pup New Member

Nov 22, 2015
    Fresno, California
    Answer: not creepy.

Orchid likes this.
  4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I would say as long as your are minding your own business and not pointing that video camera at other campers you will be okay.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

No, you are not creepy at all! I have seen plenty of men camping alone, all of my camping life.

Honestly, if someone thinks it's creepy, it's THEIR problem, not yours. You have as much right to enjoy the serenity of camping as they do. This whole subject kind of makes me sad, because as a female, it would never cross my mind that people would find it creepy if I camped alone. Because nobody would.

We live in a ridiculous world now, unfortunately. Back in the day, men camped alone all the time. Now they have to worry about being considered creepers. I hope you won't let this bother you or impact your relaxation time.

Please don't let paranoid weirdos occupy any space in your mind. Nobody has any right to think anything about you, or anybody else, based on just being alone. When you start hanging out at the playground, taking pictures of strangers' kids, then they can judge you. [LOL] But, just camping and minding your own business, others need to mind theirs too.

6. Rkcampers

Rkcampers Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Thanks for the reply, I had to LOL at the last paragraph. I just relax and not worry about it, but at one point I saw a woman and her young daughter walk buy and I wondered if she thought I was creeping. Although I do put up another outside chair just to have the illusion of at least two there.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It makes me kind of crazy that you have to resort to putting out extra chairs, but I understand.

I have four kids, who are all grown now, but often camp with my young grandchildren. I can tell you that I would never give it a single thought, and I consider myself a cautious person.

We were camped right across from a man camping alone, for days, and I never even noticed until the smoke alarm in his camper kept going off and called attention to him. After that, I glanced over a lot, not worried about him being a creeper, but worried his trailer was going to go up in flames. lol

Myles likes this.
  8. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    -- Whenever I camp with the grandkids we meet strangers EVERYWHERE! People exchange numbers and summer friendships are developed. Even when I camp with my dog I meet and greet new people. . . .but when I camp alone for kayaking and fishing - everyone gives the single guy a pass. Sometimes I think, they think, "If he doesn't even own a dog, he's got to be scary!"
    -- Oh, don't get me wrong. It has its upside! No-one ever cuts through my campsite and it seems my neighbors are always more quiet and respectful when I'm alone, smelling like charcoal and looking like I just came back from trapping through a swamp!
    -- But Orchid is right, not my problem, theirs.
    -- May I offer a suggestion though :rolleyes:? Maybe a different shirt? Maybe one with a cute puppy dog [DOG] or kitty cat [CAT] instead of a skull?

Myles likes this.
  9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Ha! This topic made me laugh because I considered the same question recently.

My wife and I hadn't camped much since we built our vaca home 15 or so years ago. She didn't think she really wanted to camp any more, but I missed camping and decided, what the heck, I'll pick up a little solo camper and occasionally combine it with kayaking, etc...

However I had the same thought as you: would I look like 'the creepy guy' camping alone? I ultimately decided I didn't care and decided to go for it.

Fortunately once my wife saw the little Aliner I was looking at and how easy it was to setup she realized she might like to get back into camping after all. Of course this forced me to buy a bigger version, but she has been (and will be) camping with me for the most part, so that's a win!

Last week my wife had a 'girls week' planned with some female family members, so I decided to head south solo in the camper. I did about 2000 miles, bouncing between state parks, visiting an old friend, etc.

Many folks stopped by to say hello to me at the various parks, so I don't think I came across as the creepy guy at all! ;)

Byrd_Huntr and Myles like this.
  10. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Creeper, IMO no. As my kids are grown I go by myself frequently. Of course for me living out west I boondock a lot and no one else shows up to notice.

Myles likes this.
  11. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    I don't think a single camper is creepy.

But in your video, YOU were creepy. You were talking to yourself (okay, you were recording a video, but that might not have been obvious) and your shirt is very disturbing...

However, as I said above, a single camper is not creepy.

12. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Feb 18, 2008
    I've camped alone on a number of occasions. I never felt anyone cared one way or another. The situations were that I had time to leave a day before DW or stay a day later. Last year DW left early for a 'family emergency' [turned out it wasn't] and I stayed, tore down camp and took a nice long hike.

13. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    I just got back from a solo trip last weekend. DW and the DKs couldn't get away from school. I'm losing vacation time because I'm not using it. I had some personal business out of town. Soooooo, I snooped up a campground near my business and camped alone for two nights. Had a great time. I missed my family, but given the circumstances, it was still a good camping trip. And I don't think I weirded out anyone in the campground. At least no one said anything to me. The neighbor even walked over to spot me while I was hooking up to leave. Nice guy. But he was camping by himself, so I kept him at arms reach. You know, those weird guys that camp alone? ;) (That was tongue-in-cheek sarcasm; it's not creepy to me at all and I agree with the others; if you're camped in a campground that's open to the public, then you should be prepared to meet all kinds of public people; even the guys that like to camp alone if they have to)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    Myles likes this.
  14. Myles

Myles New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Marshall Texas
    I have spent many a night camping alone. Never had a problem. And I will spend more nights at some camp site, somewhere, before I check out of here! Not creepy at all!

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Sorry but it is totally creepy. It has creep potential because it is very unusual. I have never seen anyone in a pop up camper , camping alone. Listening to your video, I do not think that you are creepy but without speaking to you I would assume creepy. I would feel creepy if I camped alone. I would want to camp alone with no other people around. I think that it is safe to assume creepy until proven other wise. You have to go with what little information that you have. You see a guy with a wife and family and you assume not creepy but he might be totally creepy.
    Much less creepy if you are on a motorcycle.

Myles likes this.
  16. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    You know, I think it's good to care a little about what others may think or feel, But to a limited extent. With that said, no, it is not creepy. In my opinion, very few camping type folks would give it a second thought; unless, you ran around talking to yourself, hid in bushes while watching people, or offered candy to people's kids while trying to invite them to your campsite. I think sometimes the attitude of "well that's their problem" shows social disregard and disrespect for the feelings of others. While this is heavily dependent on context, that attitude has carried over to more intrusive behaviors now-a-days. Thanks for the thought provoking question, conscience, and concern for self image. No, not creepy.

Myles likes this.
  17. LisaG

LisaG New Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Absolutely not creepy. I take my dog and love camping alone. So peaceful, and nice to get away from the real world and recharge for a bit. My guy is not a camper and doesn't understand my love of camping. However, he never hassles me about going alone. Just tells me to be careful.

lvmycag, Orchid and Myles like this.
  18. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I never even considered that I camp alone (with two large dogs) as possibly being creepy. I never even considered if I care if others thought it was creepy (which I don't).
    There are a lot of people who camp alone. Some like me, have been divorced for many years and only have two dogs to camp with so that is how I camp, some like to get away from their wives or partners and go camping alone, some like my neighbor camps alone sometimes, and sometimes if he is dating someone that week/month/day, will bring along a woman friend but why would anyone consider it creepy.
    Only thing that has ever worried me a bit when camping alone is a possible medical condition, but I carry a PLB with me so if needed I can summon emergency aid, anywhere, anytime, and if I just up and drop dead in the trailer; I won't care anyway.
    I do not care about other people around me causing me problems since I do have two very large dogs who are overly protective as it is, and there is always a .40 handgun within reach at all times. So what me worry?
    But I will say what is creepy is your video. A four minute video to ask a ten second question? A four minute video of you primarily talking to yourself saying how you like to relax, not bother anyone else, about the weather, about your nap, about not wanting to be creepy, enjoying it, your fire, not wanting to creep on anybody (and yet you are), etc. And what is really creepy, is I actually listened to the darn video.[:D]

19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    So you think any guy camping alone is creepy until proven otherwise? I think that's creepy.

Cndngrl, Orchid and Myles like this.
  20. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    You need to expand your camping area. I see people camping alone almost every time I go camping and it is both sexes. Maybe it is just a western state thing.
    But so long as you think I'm creepy and you stay away I will be happy.[Guitar]

MattF350, Orchid and Myles like this.