Single male camper, camping alone?

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by Rkcampers, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Myles

Myles New Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Marshall Texas
    I'm a people person! Never meet a stranger, although some I meet are strange! Just strike up a polite conversation, and if they will talk, let em! You just might learn something, and everyone likes to feel that they are the center of attention!

2. Cndngrl

Cndngrl New Member

May 22, 2017
    I don't think it's a western state thing. I live in Ontario, and DH worked and lived out of town for almost 6 years. Sometimes I camped with the kids, sometimes with friends, and sometimes I just went on my own. I've met tons of single campers. And not once did I think any of them were creepy or weird.

3. Mamie

Mamie Member

Sep 11, 2017
    A friend of mine's husband worked out the country and when he came home he went on a lot of motorcycle trips alone camping. Super nice guy and I don't find him creepy at all.
    If I ever get my camper up and going, I'll be making trips alone and along the way, setting up camp. I don't like to travel because I don't like hotels. The thought of being considered creepy never crossed my mind, but I think there probably is a difference between male/female - I or other females don't pose a threat. The suggestion of setting up 2 chairs is something I will remember. All that aside, if a man came up to me in a campground, I would probably feel threatened just like I am if they come to my door and try to be friendly. I think a taser is a good thing to have and now that I think about it, I need to get one to go to the door.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    My wife is almost always with me when camping, but I do go on a couple of solo trips a year. I have not felt that anyone was creeped out by my presence, but as someone else stated, that's not my problem anyway. I don't generally approach people, but I don't discourage contact either. If someone walks by and comments or makes eye contact, or I run into someone on a trail, I will wave or greet them with a 'good morning'. This has resulted in friendly exchanges and interesting conversations. About the only concession I make to irrational fears is that I position my lawn chair so that I don't appear to be staring into someones campsite.

Mamie likes this.
  5. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Wow an old thread; @1380ken I caught the humor, nicely done.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

The original poster hasn't been back since the day they dropped the video here. Methinks this was a sly ploy to get more clicks on their YouTube channel.

Haybale, Fbird and BelchFire like this.
  7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Happens all the time but that didn't stop us from getting some use out of it did it?

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Well, if "use" means we gave him a lot of answers that he never bothered to come back and read, then I guess so :)

PointyCamper likes this.
  9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    By "use" I mean that a lot of useful information was exchanged among us regardless of whether the OP read them or not.

XKPin likes this.