Sink drain/grey water.

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by LilGinge, Jul 11, 2016.

1. LilGinge

LilGinge Member

My pup doesn't come with a grey water tank and the sink drains directly to outside. I've only camped once with it so far, so I'm not sure what the protocol is for this. Should I have a bucket to catch any water draining from my PUP and see if the CG offers a place to dump grey water?

Last time I barely used it other than for drinking water or rinsing something off. My next vacation will definitely involve using the sink more.

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

A five gallon bucket will work fine, or any other pail etc. in most places they frown on draining the sink water on the ground. I used a piece of old hose for the drain to the bucket and an elbow would work so there is no bend in the hose.

3. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

Same here - i have used it to "put out the campfire" when it got really full. Perhaps not exactly Emily Post, but I didn't have a cover for the bucket, and it seemed like a fair compromise.

PU - 1991 Viking SP175
    TV - 2010 VW TDi Sportswagon STICK
    "I drank What!?!" - Socrates.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Five gallon bucket works great.

5. Coach00

Coach00 New Member

Just got my NTM pup and will be going camping at a full hook up next month. The camper came with one hose in a storage compartment. Not sure if it was for clean water coming in or draining the grey water. I need to buy another hose anyhow so I figured I will just use the new one for clean and the old for grey. Just to be sure Im not drinking out of someone else's grey drain hose. So I started looking online for a new hose. Is there a way to know whether I need a 1/2" or 5/8"?

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

One of the blue 7-gallon water totes work better than a 5 gallon bucket for a couple of reasons: First of all you don't have a big cesspool of water that you have to look at, possibly attract animals, etc. Secondly it's easier to carry and empty, finally, you can unscrew the spigot (leaving the main cap on) and a cut-off garden hose basically fits right in almost perfectly.

In the past I would dump at the dump station, but lately I've just been dumping them down the toilet when full. You really shouldn't use on a campfire as that's no different than just dumping on the ground.

7. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Get an RV drinking water hose like this 25 footer at Walmart for only $10. The only difference in the hose diameter is the rate of flow and cost. The one I linked to is 5/8", I don't recall ever seeing a 1/2" diameter hose FDA approved for drinking water.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My GRAY tanks on my POPUP is two 7.5 gal aqua-tainers totes. When one fills up I swap the drain hose to the other other one...

[​IMG]

Most places allows you to dump this on a tree somewhere... Other have a gray water dump somewhere on the camp site. I too have used this grey water to put out my camp fire....

I also have a fresh water JERI CAN on board and when I take my Cassette Potty tote to the local primitive toilet to dump down their toilet I will bring back some fresh water. They usually have a water spigot at this location...

It was a good idea for me to have one of those folding two wheeled carts for these have containers...

Roy Ken

9. roybraddy

I also carry one of these full hookup sewer adapter where I can use a standard male/female water hose from the sink drain to the adapter when we are are full hookup sites...

[​IMG]

For got to add that to my above post...

Roy Ken

10. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Be careful with that statement. "Most places" are becoming fewer and farther between with each passing day and it's outright illegal in many states (and provinces).

When you check in at the office, be sure to ask where you can dump your gray water. Few places will have a problem with you dumping gray water down the toilet and they may well tell you to spread it out in the surrounding area but when in doubt, err on the side of caution and ask.

11. roybraddy

I agree - Its best to ask when you check-in..

Roy Ken

12. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

true. never assume. some parks are small and don't have the holding capacity to dump all the grey water in with the sewer water. [A] thats what I have been told. think before you dump would you like sitting around in someone else's tooth paist and spit at your fire. I guess it's better not to know. [:(O] sorry sarcasm off. what do you want to do? [?:~{]

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I picked up one of those wheeled totes from someone on Craigslist. I think I paid $50 for a brand new one. It is a little bigger at 25 gal though.

I did just finish making a drain vent and it was a huge difference in how quickly the sink drains. Very happy with it. Mine also has a grey water tank but it is dedicated to the shower only. Nothing else uses it.