Sink drain slow, any ideas to fix?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Mintyman, May 11, 2015.

1. Mintyman

Mintyman I sell propane and propane accessories.

Apr 28, 2015
    The drain for the sink exits behind the frame rail in the floor under the sink. There not enough room to fit a 5 gallon bucket so i drilled a hole in the lid and used a short piece of hose. I thought it would drain but not so! How do I fix this? :)

2. AlcHemIE

AlcHemIE New Member

May 5, 2015
    Without a vent, its going to drain slowly. Do a search for sink drains, there are a few very well written mods that may alleviate your issue.

3. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Yep, you need to vent it. An easy MOD is to get a garden hose splitter which allows you to hook two garden hoses up at once. connect a small piece of hose to one side and use the other side as the drain. When you connect the splitter to your system just make sure it is in an up and down position with the small piece of hose facing up. This will allow the system to breath and the water should drain a lot quicker.

Attached Files:

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Are you sure the hose isn't partially blocked? If you've washed/rinsed dishes in the sink and it's only got a 1/2" drain hose, that might be the case. I'd check that before I did anything else. You might also want to open up the sink trap and clean the gunk out of it.

Adding a vent will help but still won't do the trick if your drain hose is longer than a couple of feet. As much as possible, you need to maintain slope to the sewer. If you're set on keeping the 1/2" drain, adding a couple of sections of rigid PVC or ABS pipe with some fittings makes that an easy task.

I used to fight with slow-draining garden hoses before I upgraded the sink drain to 1-1/2" pipe. It's easy enough to do and solves the vast majority of any drain issues you might come across.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my sink to sewer drain mod thread: http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=61205.msg519467

5. Mintyman

Apr 28, 2015
    The pup has a hose connection that's in the floor under the sink for a drain. I dug out Alitalia and wedged the bucket under the pup for now. It drains slow but does drain. The hose I was using was a cut piece of 5/8 Id garden hose 5' long. I thought it would drain slow but it won't drain at all if I hook it under the pup and run it into the bucket. I can get it to go and fast too if I break the vacuum. I'm gunna halfta mess with this at home. If it exited the side of the pup it'd be easier. I may have to drill a hole. [:D]

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    It sounds like a vent would be helpful.

Yep, it takes guts to drill a hole in a perfectly good wall panel but if you'd rather, you can always plumb it to the side and mount something more accessible to the underside of the frame where it's a little more reachable.

7. Mintyman

Apr 28, 2015
    It's just a hose connection under the frame rail.. I did notice the big loop of line in the cabinet for the fold down stove/sink. Some of my problem is there too. Anyone with a similar Coleman /Fleetwood have any fixes?
    Thanks for the ideas and help so far!

Attached Files:

8. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

Mar 5, 2006
    Tacoma WA.
    No wonder it won't drain it's going up hill. [:D] [:D]

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Hah! Yeah, I had to look twice too![:D] If you click the thumbnail, the full sized pic comes out right side up.

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I do this as well, cheap and works much better draining than with out.

11. Mintyman

Apr 28, 2015
    There's some weird gravity here in the Catskills. Lol [:D]

12. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I made a vent system out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe, I bought a hose connector, a 1/2in tee and some 1/2 inch PVC pipe and glue. I cane off the single side of the tee with about 3 inches of PVC added the hose connector to that, on the bottom of the tee I came off with about 3" and added a hose connector there and cut off a hose end that will fit into my tank, On the top I came up with a piece of pipe about 8" long this is the vent. Foe using I screw the hose adapter into the single side t and dd the long piece standing straight up ( I did not glue this so I can take it apart for storage, The bottom of the tee I screw the piece of cut off hose and then insert this into my tank, I have used this on several PUP's and made several for friends it works great. You can also use 3/4 " PVC. I just had 1/2" laying around the shop.

13. starfan72

starfan72 New Member

Jun 22, 2015
    I'm curious about the drain vent thing. Some places, like Arizona, require sewer lines to be airtight. So I would assume that means you are not allowed to add a vent pipe? Or do they just mean the hose connected to the sewer itself must be airtight? Seems to be the vent would not make it airtight and thus, illegal there and other states that have similar laws.

14. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    An externally visible vent shouldn't be much of a problem but it might get the rangers and environmentalists looking. You could always install a cheater vent just inside the wall at the end of the sink drain inside the camper. They're available just about everywhere, only cost $8 and it's a pretty simple fix with some fittings and glue.

[​IMG]

The EPA is more concerned with leakage in the sewer line to the point where some CG's won't even let you connect unless the sewer hose is suspended above the grade with a sewer hose support. I quit wrestling with hoses and switched to 7' sections of 1-1/2" ABS pipe with a flexible hose end so that I can position them as needed and so that maintaining slope is simple. I do add a length of sump pump hose at the end just to get to the sewer inlet but they're not as fussy here in Manitoba as they are elsewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]