Sink to Sewer 1/2" to 1-1/2" Drain Conversion Mod (Large Photos & Video)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Dubbya, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
  2. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thank you very much for the recognition even though most of it is yours. However, you might want to look at the gender specification on my profile. [:O] Last time I looked, I still stand at the toilet. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

Shelmily is actually a combination of my kids names, Shelby and Emily. [LOL](still laughing) [LOL]

3. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    [LOL] My apologies for the assumption as to your gender. In all honesty, it really doesn't matter to me whether you sit or stand, just as long you can hit it! *snort!*

4. shelmily

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    [LOL] [LOL] but of course I can. [LOL] [LOL]

5. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    You should be proud! Judging by some of the public restrooms I've seen, it's a rare talent!

No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get the hang of it. Then again, like most guys who eat too much and exercise too little, I' kinda firing blind! [LOL]

I'm thinking that it my aim gets any worse, I might have to use a transmission fluid funnel or get some shoe mirrors!

6. shelmily

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]LMAO![LOL] [LOL] [LOL] I love the shoe mirror idea. That is hillarious.

7. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Using the 1-1/2"x3" bushing at several CG's has proven frustrating, particularly in older CG's with 3" iron pipe at the sewer because iron pipe has a slightly smaller inside diameter than PVC and ABS pipe.

I tried incorporating an RV foam sewer gasket but that didn't work either. While perusing the plumbing aisle at a small hardware store, I stumbled across a toilet tank to bowl gasket that I thought might do the trick so I grabbed a 1-1/2"x2" bushing put on the tank to bowl gasket and tried it out.

Here's the tank to bowl gasket (3" O.D.x1-3/4" ID), the 1-1/2"x2" bushing, the 1-1/2" 90 degree elbow with sewer hose. The 1-1/2"x 3" bushing is not required and is shown here purely for reference. I will hang onto it and the RV sewer gasket in the even that we come across sewer hookups larger than 3".

[​IMG]

Here's the 2" bushing inserted into the tank to bowl gasket:

[​IMG]

Here it's ready to insert into the sewer pipe:

[​IMG]

And here it is in use:

[​IMG]

Yay! No more smelling sewer gas while we're trying to eat dinner!

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Here's what the whole 1-1/2" gray water drain system looks like when we're camping with sewer hookups.

Here's the fanciest of the connections that ties the camper sink to the field sinks and on to the sewer drain connection:

[​IMG]

At the top, the 90 degree elbow's swivel adapter connects to the camper's sink drain:

[​IMG]

At the bottom, a pipe standoff slides into an aluminum bracket screwed to the underside of the camper's frame to support the fitting. On the other side of the camper, a modified standoff with "1 of drop, slides into it's own aluminum bracket to support the 7' incoming ABS pipe from the field sink drain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the trailing section of pipe leading to the sewer gets connected with an ABS swivel adapter.

[​IMG]

The final section of pipe is attached to a section of sump hose which terminates with the 3" sewer adapter described in the previous post.

[​IMG]

Moving to the opposite side of the camper, a 60" section of ABS pipe with sump hose ends is connected to the outgoing drain suspended under the camper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, the other end's swivel adapter connects to the 1-1/2" drain on the field sink.

[​IMG]

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Forgot one photo which shows the drain connections running to the sewer.

[​IMG]

10. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thought I'd update this thread with last year's upgrade. While poking around, I came across an old post by volkster where he mentioned banjo cam lock couplings. As soon as I saw them, I knew they were what I'd been looking for.

Since then, I've seen a few posts where folks have used them but finally bit the bullet, found a local supplier (Princess Auto) and made the switch to more durable and easy-to-use polypropylene camlock hose couplings. You can spend a pretty penny converting a complex external drain system but the conversion is totally worth it IMHO.

These are all 1-1/2" couplings but they're available in various sizes to suit your needs.
    [​IMG]

11. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    X2! I need this on my CT camper too!

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Nice work. I have been casually searching for a 1 1/2 sump hose to sewer site connection. The tank to bowl gasket is clever.
    I have done a similar mod when I added an exterior sink. I permanently installed a drain line under camper, using 2"ips split rings and 3/8 wall plates. I tie them together with a prefabricated connection and fernco couplings. I hate needing a nut driver. I have never seen the "slip joint-half union fitting" in your picture. Awesome, I really want some.

Attached Files:

13. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Oh, so good. A Gas tank can be a cheap holding tank too. Thank you for sharing the picture!

14. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Thank you for posting this. This is the next mod on my Viking. Love to list of parts and tools.

15. ronnie

ronnie Member

Sep 3, 2015
    here is my take on the crappy grey water situation, sorry you have to go thru all the pic's but i did not have time to post the pictures here again.. I did forget to take a pic of the 30 gal tank that hooks direct to the waste pipe.

2 weeks ago we got to try out my upgrades, and boy is it nice to pull the plug and see water disappear down the drain.. [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] :) :)

so feel free to check out what i did..

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=100109.msg1050516#msg1050516