Sink water line replacement?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Dan from Troup, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    840B1896-07D3-4B83-AC26-55AA87E8D9C3.jpeg 81899C3A-3A1B-4EDD-ABF7-6826BC59543D.jpeg 81899C3A-3A1B-4EDD-ABF7-6826BC59543D.jpeg My 2004 Starcraft is leaking at the waterline to faucet connection. Tried teflon and pipe joint compound. It appears to be leaking though at the flared end of the plastic pipe. Since this is a fold down galley, those lines are subjected to allot of stress when folding/unfolding the galley. Two questions; where does one find the replacement line for this sink/faucet and is there a better alternative such as a braided or soft vinyl line?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    If you have enough slack you might be able to just cut and replace the connector. You can get a new line at your local hardware or big box store and use Shark Bite connectors. (You can get plastic Shark Bite instead of brass.) As the current line has lasted 14 years, I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money looking for bigger faster better more.
    Good luck!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    When I replaced the sink faucet I also purchased the stainless steel braided supply lines. I installed the faucet, but haven't had a chance to replace the pex lines with what I purchased. We have a flip over galley and the pex lines to me take a little abuse whenever I flip up or down the galley. I figure the braided lines are a bit more flexible.

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I also would use SS braided lines.
    Just to add sealant is only used on tapered pipe threads not on sealing surfaces.

5. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Thanks guys, I was thinking same thing; SS braided supply lines. Think I’ll do both even though only one leaks.

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    What is the connection on the none sink end of the supply line? Can you get an off the shelf faucet supply line?

If not, I would look into the brass furrell insert into each end of the plastic supply line. There was an issue with plastic faucet supply lines leaking back in the early 90's. HUD flaged it. I think one of the issues was the supply line fitting would compress over time and leak One solution was the brass insert. But that became the end of the plastic supply lines. Now you buy a supply line with copper or brass in the ends and a ruber washer.

7. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    The other end appears to be flared poly also, just like the sink end. The poly concerns me with the movement of the galley which is what I’m going to go with SS braided. Just called my plumber and he’s going to do the upgrade.

8. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    ^ Nice!!!

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    great sounds like you got it. My only concern is the stiffness of the braided lines with a swing sink. Without seeing the swing sink movement have no idea if its a concern. You/plumber will have to figure out if there will be too much strain on the fittings you connect to. The strain may be why the manufacture installed that lightweight tubing.

10. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The braided SS lines are more flexible then the pex lines. Also, I have a short section of rubber hose to go around the SS line where it would rub against the wood of the flip over galley. Just some extra protection.

That lightweight tubing is much cheaper ($$) then the SS lines.

11. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I think as long as the braided supply line in not binding up from being a little short it may be more flexible than stiff 3/8 poly. And further, a good recommendation to wrap it with a rubber boot where it may rub where it passes through the galley.

12. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Steel braided supply lines are superior. Manufacturers don’t use them because they are expensive.

Current poly supply lines are typically PEX which is a very good as well.
    The early 90’s poly supply lines were PB. That was a terrible product that became brittle and broke with age.

*If using poly supply lines always use a poly ferrule. The brass ferrule is for metal supply lines.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  13. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    My plumber is re-plumbing with 60” SS braided supply lines.

crackerJack likes this.
  14. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    8B99801F-8A0A-4561-B073-A02AB642CCE7.jpeg Got r dun.

Katskamper and Sjm9911 like this.