sloping bunk ends

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by Jenkamus, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

I have a few questions, our bunks slope outwards when they are pulled out, quite a bit actually, it feels like you're going to roll out. We are planning our first camping trip 4/20 so I want to get the beds ready for the trip and make sure they are safe and no one rolls out or the bunks fail in the middle of the night.

Most of this is our full size bunk, the PUP is in the garage and I cant extend out the queen size bunk but when we first got the PUP i remember it sloping. Also, the PO gutted the POP, I only have a partial lower cabinet on the queen bunk side, the side walls on the door side have more movement in them, would the missing cabinets affect the level of the bunks when extended? The track that is mounted to the wall is pretty level, the bunk ends when extended are not.

Full Size Bunk End:
    Slopes down pretty bad but is level where it is connected to the wall. One of the PO's replaced the bed supports with a homemade version, which are a couple inches shorter it seems, I tested it out with the longer queen size supports and it leveled it out some but it still slopes quite a bit. I can replace the supports but it is still not level.

The bed rail track that is connected to the interior wall is level. The bed rail track also has 1 rusted screw it in that just spins, doesn't seem to be connected to anything. Missing 1 other screw on the track. What is the purpose of these screws?

Queen size bunk end:
    Slopes just like the other side. One track is missing all (3) screws. Other side only has 1.

This trip is our one test trip, after that we plan on tearing it down to the frame and rebuilding it, so I just want to see what would cause this and how to correct it (1) for safety and comfort this trip and (2) so I can be sure to fix it right when it's rebuilt.

Photos in the album show the issues i'm talking about.

https://goo.gl/photos/oyqUCMWch45g4GUBA

2. JWeible

JWeible Member

What make/model/year is your camper? Every camper is going to be slightly different. Do your bunk ends have exterior support?
    We have an '88 Jayco King Deluxe. There are two poles that attach under the bunk once it's slid out and mount to the exterior of the camper. The beds would definitely slope without those.

3. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

It is a 1990 Flagstaff by Cobra 619-ST. Yes, it has the two poles that connect under the bunk to the frame.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would suspect it must be that the home made bed supports are too short.

5. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

I replaced them with the originals from the queen bed that were longer and it still sloped. Even the queen bed with the original supports slope. If i make longer ones (longer them original) would that throw off the weight distribution or support for the beds if they were too long?

6. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I would make them long enough to make the bunk level

Orchid likes this.
  7. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

If i go longer, should I go with a bigger diameter EMT conduit to add more strength so the extra length doesn't bend the poles?

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I am not sure what your supports hook to, but they still have to fit securely in those. Not sure if this would allow you to go bigger or not. On mine, that would not be possible.

9. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

yeah, good point Orchid, I dont think i have room for a thicker support.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just curious...If you were to lay on the bed is the sag worse than you measured without the weight? I ask because you mentioned something about the cabinets not being in place. I know that some cabinets do provide wall support needed and if those cabinets are on a corner I wonder if that is part of the problem. Not saying this is your problem, but if you have a camper with the storage trunk. This has been known to leak into the wall between the camper and trunk and if rot was to form in the wood that could sure cause a problem with a bed sagging.

11. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

I'll have to get on there tonight and measure with some weight on it. I am hesitant since they slope without extra weight. I may just get some of the cargo support bars i've seen mentioned on here to help with support the ends for this trip.

The corners and infront of the door does have some water damage, reason we are taking it down to the frame and rebuilding it. I thought about adding some wood support on those walls under the track and screwing it to the subfloor for a little extra support...

Does anyone have any idea with the screws are for in the track? the screws that are there are rusted and loose, but i dont see that they actually attach to anything and no clue what they are actually for.

12. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Either the poles are too short, the end walls are not vertical, or the stops are allowing the bunk ends to pull out too far. Just figure out which of these it is. 3/4" EMT tubing (standard) is not going to buckle, it is rather stout.

13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

The cabinets are major structural support for the side and end walls. Without them all you have is 1x2 framing stapled together. I hope you got a good price. I would not camp in this pop up without reinforcing the walls.

14. Stephen Rosenbaum

Stephen Rosenbaum New Member

Personally I have taken mine to the frame and reworked everything. I can push on the outside and watch the door opening move. It has no rot and im confused. Any idea to fix it

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal. This is an old thread, and you will probably have better luck with answers if you start your own thread, with an informative subject line. Adding details, such as make, model, and year of your pup will help. (You can put them in your signature line and they're always visible.)
    Good sections to start a thread would be(pick the one closest to your issue and what you've done so far):
    http://www.popupportal.com/forums/camper-restoration-projects.160/
    http://www.popupportal.com/forums/my-favorite-mods-tips-tricks-and-blunders.15/
    http://www.popupportal.com/forums/roof-floor-repair-maintenance.53/

have you done reconstruction and still have movement? Where on the outside are your pushing to effect the door frame?