Slow 4th

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by 1380ken, Jul 6, 2018.

1. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Went camping Sunday to yesterday at Green Meadows camping area near Mt Washington in NH. Twenty minutes into the trip my oil pressure went to zero and the low oil pressure alarm was sounding. Pulled over and everything seemed okay, the engine is hot but it is 95 degrees outside. The oil gauge is now pegged at 80 psi but goes to zero when I rev the engine. Make an executive decision that the oil sender must be bad and to continue the trip. The oil gauge stressed me out the whole trip even though I know it must just be a bad sender as the engine ran cool all trip. The campground which is usually jamming during the 4th of July was practically empty. It must of been because of the heat wave. We had the swimming pool all to ourselves several afternoons. No traffic no crowds except for the fireworks in North Conway. The guy at the go cart place said it was the slowest 4th that he has ever seen. Had a bear scratch the side of the TV climbing up to smell my clam shell cargo carrier, looks like a cooler, on the roof. It was parked right next to the camper.

Rik Peery, jnc and kitphantom like this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sounds like you had a great time, unusual for a CG to not be crowded on any holiday, especially July 4th. But you got lucky. I would have fretted if my oil pressure gauge fell to zero.
    But sounds like you made the correct decision. The bear on the vehicle would sort of make me nervous, especially if I was in a PUP. Everything turned out great and ya'll made some great memories. Good Luck and Happy Camping

3. 1380ken

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    The wife is a little nervous about camping again. The campground owner said the bear is a problem bear but it was too hot for the rangers to trap the bear.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Sounds like a very nurve wracking trip. When I went to Mt Washington I was going from Maine to NH and that route had no-one on the road and very few houses and even worse no cell service. If anything like that happened on that road I would have been a nervous wreck. Bad enough my car stalled on me a couple times enroute. At the campground I did hear some wolf howels or cyotes (not sure which) that sounded nearby. I tried to play it that it was just echoing off the hills but I sure was looking out the tent window more than usual. I kept everything in the car so wasn't too concerned. Just hoped that they wouldn't look at the tent and figure out the human burrito was more appitizing. I was never more scared to sleep in my sleeping bag before. Best trip I made and want to go back hopefully in warmer and nicer weather.

5. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I was couple hours east of you at crazy horse campground littleton NH. i had reservations from 4 to 8. then a few days before i called to add 3rd. They had nothing available.
    We actually ended up going to KOA at white river junction vermont. Hiked the gorge and did alot of swimming pool time as the wife visited her brother at the local hospital before heading to littleton. At the koa they had few spots open.

crazy horse does do alot of activities. they had DJ every night and the pool was standing room on the 4th afternoon. I left due the crowd and not being a swimmer.
    Next year i want to the glenn side camping.

6. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Glad your trip went well! I had my oil pressure go to zero once. Took about 3 seconds before I had a piston sticking out of the side of the block! Luckily I was 2 miles from home after a 200 mile trip.

7. 1380ken

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    The campground that I go to is Green Meadow Camping Area. It is an old campground run by a family. They seem to be lazy on their marketing. They don't answer their phone at all from October to the beginning of May. It is still usually busy on the fourth with only a few empty sites. This year the majority of sites were empty.

8. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    i was told that you could listen to the story land roller coasters all day . I never actually camped out on the camper on that side. I usually on my motorcycle and after spend 400 plus miles on the bike i want a pool,ac and beer. Come to think of it i might try a KOA as they have all 3 in most of them.

9. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Last time I had an oil gauge dance like that it was a bad connection at the sender. Tightened it up and never danced again.