Small Rips and tares in Canvas.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JOSH WEBER, May 16, 2018.

1. JOSH WEBER

JOSH WEBER New Member

May 10, 2018
    Whitby
    I was putting my pop up away for the first time and caused a small rip in the canvas at the back. Just wondering whats the best method of fixing it? Just one of those small tent repair kits? duct tape? Glue?
    What have you guys used? Whats the best method?

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Might try this,
    [​IMG]

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

A picture is worth a thousand words.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    On Amazon I bought a popup patch kit. It came with small piece of canvas and a glue very similar to tearaid. If your hole is smaller, you can probably just get away buying tear aid.

5. JOSH WEBER

JOSH WEBER New Member

May 10, 2018
    Whitby
    picked it up last night.

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I've got a number that are smaller than 1/2 - The 80s were tough on the ol' gal.

Some are patched with clear silicone only. I did a few where I was inside, DW outside, both pushed sealant together with tape. Removed tape once hardened. Some have a stitch or two to stop separation and sealed as above. I have one 4in or longer seam failure, stitched with a sewing awl. Depends what you're into - what you consider fixed.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have done a lot of patching on my pup with vinyl & contact cement. Most were on the small side so I only applied vinyl on the outside and made sure I had fully covered the seems of the patch with the contact cement. If I had known than that a speedy stitcher was so cheap and easy to use I would have used it on all my patches just for good measure. As it is I have only had one of the many patches fail and it was one that the PO had done and was failing when I got it and I just tried to close it up. Good Luck & Camp on.

8. Buckeyes1675

Buckeyes1675 New Member

May 16, 2018
    It was suggested to us by the place that we purchased our pop up at to use the clear flex tape.