Smelly pup

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Muller 5, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    My NTU pup smells. I think they smoked in it. I want to freshen it up, but we will be going through With or Montana this summer. Would Fabreze or Lavender attract unwanted visitors? We already plan on no eating or cooking in the pup.

2. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Through Wyoming. My phone is acting up.

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    No eating inside? Why?

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Airing it out, and washing what soft goods you can will do the most for getting rid of the stale smoke. Febreeze basically just covers things up, at last for a while, then leaves its own smell. (We just had to replace the unfinished wood backing, along with the foam and fabric, on a foot stool brought back from my MIL's. She smoked, but loved Febreeze, etc. It had soaked into the wood which is similar to what's on the bunk ends in a pup. Our hands reeked of Febreeze after handling the original wood. I planned to replace the foam and fabric when we decided to take the footstool hadn't planned on needing to replace that piece of wood; the finished wood cleaned up fine.) It also never did anything for the used truck we bought years ago, which turned out to have been owned by a smoker. (& now all those type of products cause issues for both of us, since we have asthma.)
    You'll probably be wanting to re-waterproof the canvas anyway, depending on the type, so you might as well wash it beforehand. Cushion covers can usually be washed, carefully, and hug to dry.

kcsa75 likes this.
  5. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I would was everything with diluted bleach.

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    So, without the long story I quit smoking after thanksgiving. My car, however, smelled really bad as my 80mile commute consisted of many smokes. I'll say I smoked in all our cars, never ever in the campers and never in the house.

I opened a bag of the cheapest charcoal up and let it sit in a paint tray for the first few weeks. One tray on the front floor, one in the back. I tossed them into the firepit when I was done - don't waste Kingstone money and charcoal! I was very surprised on how much that did to get the ciggy smell out of my car. For less than a back a smokes, I'd surely try that! [:D]

7. Muller 5

Muller 5 Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    Thanks. Charcoal sounds like a great first step. Not sure how to remove, wash, or waterproof the canvas. I have a lot to learn!

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Airing the popup out on a couple nice sunny days will help a lot as well. Take cushion covers off and throw them in the wash and bring the foam outside to air out as well . Wash with a diluted bleach solution every hard surface including the ceiling. The canvas is a differant story and I'm not sure how well cigarette smoke will come out with a good airing out. If camping in bear country I would not use fabrieeze or other sweet smelling fresheners. Wouldnt want to attract critters of either the big or small variety.

9. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Smelly pup, Smelly pup...it's not your fault!

* Apologies for the poorly added Friends joke, but I'll be there for you...

Muller 5, JWeible and neighbormike like this.
  10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Congratulations! Some day maybe I will be able to say the same!

Muller 5 and J Starsky like this.
  11. Fless

Fless Active Member

Use an ozone generator.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  12. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

Sep 1, 2018
    +1 on the ozone generator.

I bought one a year ago whe. I was trying to get rid of s terrible smell in my house from using “rotten” paint. It was really bad, and I was trying to sell the house, so the smell had to go! I bought an ozone generator on Amazon for $80 (?) and I was thrilled with how well it worked.

This fall when I bought my pop up, I used the ozone generator again (cigar smoke, I think). I ran it for about 4-6 hours, and it got rid of 90% of the smell.

Just don’t let anyone breathe the ozone while the machine is running.

Dan from Troup likes this.
  13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Febreeze works for light odor issues. Just remember that whatever you use, during the first few rains you may find the odor seems to regenerate. This will dissipate in time, but just remember it.

You can also try nature's remedy - it can help a bit.

Wash anything you can. Let your mattresses sit out in the sun for several days (use a light spraying of unscented febreeze or nature's remedy on them). You might try removing the canvase if you can and setting it out in the sun for several days - reverse it so both sides see the sun.

14. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    If you go to your local sporting goods store, go to the hunting area and you will find a plethora of scent control products to spray on. They have NO ODOR at all, and usually do a nice job on soft and hard surfaces. I had a diesel can leak in my cab, and sprayed some on it for a few days and it worked well. There's "Scent Away" which is pretty popular (probably at most Wal-Marts). It DOES leave a whitish residue on hard surfaces, but on soft stuff I've never seen it too bad.

Baking soda and charcoal might work well too.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Ozone generator... Car lots use them all the time. They will get smoke odors out of a vehicle

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you use an ozone generator, use care to keep the output away from hard plastics. We bought one to use in the stinky Colorado. I ended up using the ozone machine every couple of weeks, as the odor kept returning. (It may have been related to the oil use issue - a year and half and we couldn't keep the floral smell out of the truck, even though we parked it with the windows slightly open, had it detailed, etc. etc. Eventually we traded it for the Silverado; the dealer was tired of trying to fix it too.) One time, I ran the machine with it sitting on the console instead of on the floor. The map light covers clouded up. (There are warnings about plastic damage.)

17. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    One can also rent an ozone generator from your local tool rental store. We got smoke in our house from faulty venting with our wood burning stove. The smoke permeated everything and 6 hrs. later the odor was totally gone.

18. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    An old pup we had stunk so bad our neighbors across the street would close thier windows.

We put fans inside and sprayed a combo of Lemon grass and tea tree essentials oils every day for a week. It got rid f a lot but we still threw out the cushions.