So excited I could burst

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Michi Gander, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Michi Gander

Michi Gander New Member

My husband picked up our pop-up today. It's a 1997 Starcraft Spacemaster w/sideout. I can't wait till 5, then I get to go home and see it again. Hubby called me to say that Cheryl (the wife) had sent along a little pop-up warming gift for me.

He didn't quite seem to get it, but I did. While the guys were outside talking tongue weight and wattage, we were inside talking about ways to make your pop-up feel like a home away from home. I knew how much the Starcraft meant to her and she could tell that I would take good care of it.

It's been hard to get the spouse excited about having pop-up but this forum has helped. You are all so generous with your suggestions, mod ideas and help, a super support group. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

2. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Best wishes for miles of great memories!

3. bjjohnstone

bjjohnstone New Member

Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. I was the same way, and after 2 seasons I'm still as excited about camping in our pup.

4. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Good for you! I, on the other hand, was very nervous, mainly over towing a 12 foot box PUP. I knew nothing about trailers. After a few SPUTs and learning how everything works, I feel more confident with all aspects of using and caring for my PUP.
    Many on this forum recommend keeping a list while camping of accessories, supplies of tasks needed for the PUP. Even after 2 years of active camping, I still come home with several items on my list.
    Good luck!

5. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

Congratulations and good luck

6. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

Once you get some pictures, let us see it.

7. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Good for you! I hope you have lots of good camping fun and enjoy the new pup!

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Congratulations! Have lots of fun with it.

9. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

Congratulations! I know exactly how you feel. Have a wonderful time camping and making memories.

10. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

Congrats! Have fun with it

11. Michi Gander

Michi Gander New Member

[:(] Won't be sleeping in the PUP tonight. I can't figure out how to work the scissor poles for the king beds. I've searched the archives and found some instructions for a Viking, but I don't see a break in the box where the large end would go.

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow and call the old owners to walk me through it over the phone. I've waited this long, one more day won't kill me.

12. wardog

wardog Member

Sorry you can't sleep in it tonight. I would be disappointed too but you will have plenty of time. I enjoy my pup a lot more than my DH too. I could camp almost every weekend but him not so much.

13. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

I do not jknow if this will help hard too see exactly:

http://www.rvhunter.com/page-12161.html

14. pony280

pony280 Pony 280

Congratulations! I know just how you feel -- and after a year in the PUP (after years of tenting), I am still thrilled with it. Happy Camping from another "Michi gander"

[PU] [TV]

15. muffyluvscamping

muffyluvscamping New Member

My DH is also not into our PUP. I am the one who takes care of it, and makes repairs. I'm also the one who tows the thing. I love it! Can't wait to go camping a week from tomorrow with my girlfriends and their kids. Kings Canyon National Park here we come!

16. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Just a suggestion - invite the previous owners over for a BBQ/pup set-up party.

Get a couple of racks of ribs, potato salad, sweet corn, and the rest of the fixins, and have them show you how to completely set it up and use it while everything is cooking. If you have a camcorder or access to one, video the complete set up and break down. Ask lots of questions and have them explain how to use everything in the pup - appliances, converters, plumbing system, propane system, and such. Make a whole afternoon/evening out of it.

Not only will you get all the answers to your questions (and have a good time as well as a good meal at the same time,) but you might just also make some camping friends in the process. Heck, for a good BBQ dinner, they should jump at the offer.

17. musicman55

musicman55 New Member

gongrat and goold luck happy camping

18. Michi Gander

Michi Gander New Member

We finally figured out the scissor pole. Didn't have enough time to sleep in it, but we did do an inexpensive mod so that my little dog can't slip underneath the PUP.

We take our first trip this weekend. Only going an hour from home the first time, just in case we run into issues. I'll take pictures and post them.

19. the_baibos_family

the_baibos_family New Member

Hope you have a great trip... I know how excited we were when we bought ours... we found our PUP on craigslist in MI and called my MIL to go and take a look... she gave the thumbs up so we really bought it site unseen in June. We received numerous calls from my MIL and my FIL made telling us all the fun they were having exploring our new purchase and it made the excitement of finally seeing it at the end of June even better. So far I think we have camped 8 nights in Michigan, 1 night @ Cedar Point (way fun a must do!!!), 2 nights @ a KOA in Virginia, and 2 nights in Freeland, MD... and we hope to have many more trips before the season is over--kids sports may damper that but hey we will try!!! I will say I think my best purchase for the PUP so far was the 4" memory foam mattress pad for our bed... sometimes I think we sleep better there than at home :)

Good luck & happy camping :)

20. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR Member

Although Dusty's posts are always valuable and informative, I just want to sell him something so he can invite me over for a cookout complete with Ribs and all the trimmings. [:D]

Anyway, enjoy your new-to-you PUP and have fun getting to know every inch of it!