So freakin' ANGRY!

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by DJS12354, May 23, 2018.

1. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Such a positive response from Snow......

2. DanLee

DanLee Member

I don't get it. Is it standard procedure now to throw old shingles every which way, including onto neighboring property, when doing a roof job? Give me a break.

crackerJack likes this.
  3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Spoke with my neighbor and the contractor. Neighbor is telling roofer he will not be paid until I am taken care of. Roofer promised to make good for damage. After examination, it looks we may have dodged a bullet regarding major damage. it appears that the lid was trashed, but the internal parts are not. Gave roofer called RV place and was arranging purchase of replacement part. Waiting for him to return.

jnc, BelchFire, Orchid and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

You have a good neighbor!

5. lkc

lkc Active Member

I think you have a good neighbor who is trying to do the right thing, but I would still be mad at the contractor/roofers and would hold their feet to the fire. They could care less about where they throw their roofing materials or what they could damage. They were told to cover your unit, but then just threw a sheet of plywood on your vent cover.

My neighbor was selling his house recently and the roofers just threw the shingles off the roof as they were ripping the roof off, along with all the shingle wrappers, etc. All over my driveway, in the bushes, on the front lawn and threw the gutters up against my fence. That is until I gave the super the what-for, then they were over on my property picking up every last piece of trash and getting their gutters off my fence, that day.

I get it when I hear/see other people get angry that their property being abused and disrespected, cause I know how it feels when it's happening to me.

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I also agree with Snow on this one. As the saying goes, 'don't sweat the small stuff'. Nobody was killed, no bones were broken, you didn't lose your house in a tornado, it's a roof vent on a Pup. At my age I have learned to be calm in situations as this to avoid a stroke, or worse. It will get fixed, and it won't cost you any money, and it will be done right. If it isn't done right, you will play around with it until it's to your satisfaction. Take a deep breath, sit back, and pop yourself a cold one. Much worse things in life can happen than this. Give them a chance to fix things up.

BelchFire likes this.
  7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

I'd look for paint damage too. I'm sure it was slid on and not placed gently. I would be absolutely livid. That did nothing to protect your camper. Your permission should have been requested prior to doing it.

Glad it's going to work out but make sure it's not scratched up...

8. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Wait a minute. These guys put on roofs for a living. So they must have been in at least hundreds of different situations where they had to protect property while doing their work. So are these guys pros or just some kind of fly by nights that don't know what they're doing? If they had been working on your roof then I can see how you might have had the need to take some extra measures. You owe it to their NEXT customer to raise hell. Take it easy? Hell no. They would have fixed my camper immediately if not sooner.

Phoodieman

9. DJS12354

New cover is finally in place. Not 100% finished though. The gasket had more damage than I thought and needs to be replaced. Had a little drama, when I hit the cover with a hose and had some water. I think the guy thought I was trying to put something over on him. Showed him what I meant and he calmed down. I agreed with him having the gasket shipped to me and I will handle the install. Glad all the aggravation is basically over.

BelchFire likes this.
  10. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

They either didn’t know (stupid) or didn’t care (@$$hole). I’m leaning towards didn’t care.
    Either way I would be upset.

11. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

You sprayed it with a hose when the gasket was damaged? open her back up and dry her out.

12. DJS12354

Had it open while checking. It's dry.

13. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Lots of good advice here on staying calm, but.....

This kind of thing drives me absolutely insane - it's carelessness at its best. While it's true that it's not worth having a stroke over, the carelessness shown to you and your property is inexcusable. Having the roofing company fix it is not the point - the point is that it shouldn't have happened to begin with. My 10 year old nephew could tell you that chucking a sheet of plywood on top of a camper is not the way to go about this. The roofing supervisor wouldn't be very happy if his truck was parked in front of your house and, in an attempt to protect it from your sprinklers, you threw a cinder block through the window.

How about this? When you're flinging stuff off the roof, pay attention to where you're flinging it - then there's no need for you to throw lumber on top of a camper to protect it from you throwing shingles on top of it. If that's not common sense then why not just bring a wood chipper up on the roof and feed all the shingles, tar paper and everything else into it and spray it all over the neighborhood? Hey, you'll only have to deal with the people that complain, right?

Personally, I would MUCH rather have had a friendly, concerned supervisor knock on my door and say "We're replacing the roof next door. We do our best to be careful, but there's a chance some debris might end up on your driveway. We'd hate for that to cause any damage to your camper, so do you think you could move it for a day or two?" - I'd be more than happy to and thanks so much for the heads up sir.

I don't blame you at all for getting mad about it - truthfully it may have caused damage that you won't even know about for months or years, at which point the roofing company will take the position of "Popup Camper? No, we don't remember that." Not to mention all this headache and hassle for something that could have been very easily avoided.

/rant

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we had our roof done the roofer placed plywood over things to protect them. they also laid tarps all around the house. They were no just flinging stuff off the roof but were trying to drop it in piles on the tarps. I asked the roofer why the plywood if they are careful about dropping it in piles. He said accidents do happen and if something slipped off the roof the plywood protected it. In this case our A/C unit.

Now I can understand if you had no where to move your pup to while they were doing the roof. But, they should of payed more attention to how/where they placed the plywood on the pup roof.

15. DJS12354

I had no alternate storage available for the pup based on short notice (evening before they were starting the job) and did not want to park on the street.
    I was angry because the roofer was told, he subbed out to low cost jobbers and did not have someone responsible for ensuring it was done correctly. Also because they did not take a moment to knock on my door and say "we are going to cover your camper now".

Nearest RV sales and service to me is 45 minutes (one way) from us.

As I posted earlier, the cover is replaced and I am waiting on a replacement gasket, since I think the old one was buggered up from being crushed and leaned on as we were changing out the broken cover. Just want to get that done and put this incident behind me.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Sounds like your are just about up and water tight again. Good Luck and Happy Camping

DJS12354 likes this.