So, what did you do for your camper, April 2015

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Apr 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertGreenlee

RobertGreenlee Member

I got the separate posting up for replacing our lift posts today. That was quite the job.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=93600.0

I also tested out the fridge while I was working on the lift system. That checked out ok. Still holding off on dewinterizing. It is only April in Colorado. Another few weeks and we should be safe.

2. KINGNOTHIN6

KINGNOTHIN6 New Member

My wife had me had me outside replacing the fence that is next to the pup. So I moved it into the driveway to get it out of my way. While waiting for the concrete to set gave it a good wash and put the battery back in. Also took a peek inside and thankfully didn't see any animal or water damage. Saw a little rust on the tounge, completely unacceptable lol, I will take care of that tomorrow.

3. StageLover

StageLover Member

So far, just charging the batteries regularly and looking at it every time I go to the garage. I also have my workshop at the garage and am doing a couple of projects for the boat so I visit almost every day. :)

Today, we took some friends up to Sayre's Lake to check out the newish Forestry Campsite. We walked around the sites we like and made the decision that that will be our destination for our first outing in May.

4. SR20DEN

SR20DEN New Member

Today I replaced the broken (fried) converter box with an upgraded model.

Post is here http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=93376.0

Tomorrow I am going to work on the rear view camera for the fourth time since I installed it mid last year. Apparently those cheap wireless transmitters don't have enough range to reach from the rear of the PUP to the receiver inside the vehicle. I plan to move the transmitter to inside the propane tank shroud.

5. onemilmhz

onemilmhz New Member

So far this month I've repaired a dry rotted awning bag, sealed a cracked roof and, although not technically on the pup itself, I installed a new brake controller. Still to come is a new smart charger/converter and possibly removing the interior stovetop.

6. dcbain

dcbain New Member

SR20DEN wrote : Apparently those cheap wireless transmitters don't have enough range to reach from the rear of the PUP to the receiver inside the vehicle.

Thank you for that. I'm going to get one and you've saved me some aggravation!

7. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Just recently picked up a Jayco Eagle 12 UDST from a guy that didn't want to "replace the roof due to water leakage." The roof was fine, but some of the seams had 1/4in gaps. Got the seams sealed up with some 3M 4000 fast-cure. I've used their 5200 on boats for years, so if this stuff is half as good, then I won't need to re-seal ever again. I also had a chance to test the converter and was pleased to find that its also a charger, so now my battery is fully charged. Tested the fridge on 12v (don't have a p.tank for it yet) and it made ice in <12hrs. Very happy about that. Now I just need to build a new step and its ready for use!

8. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Finally got the propane line fixed and hooked up.. did a test with the soapy water and yeah no leaks at the connection points. I did hear a hissing and upon checking it out found that the water heater thing, I don't know what it's called has leaks.. Not sure if it can or should be fixed .. Debating just taking it out altogether. After pricing it out.. It's looking like it will be removed and the propane and water connection will be capped off.

9. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe 2002 Colman Niagara

Got a picture of the water heater thing?

Help out the family's that these heroes left behind fighting for YOUR Freedom.
    http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=840845
    Donate now!

Yukon Joe
    Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
    www.runraptorrun.com

10. Yukon Joe

Looking forward to more pics of your project. If I keep my pup for a few more years I'll eventually have to do this as well.

Did you have any cabinet pieces that you had to replace?

Yukon Joe

11. Yukon Joe

So what does a DO table get you?
    Do you cook on it? Or just a place to set the DO after you pull it from the fire?

Did you get the optional sides?

12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Yes i plan to cook right on the DO table. Big enough to set two 12 inch pots next to each other I always cooked before at ground level so this should make it easier on my broke down back. . I did not order the optional side panels which gives you more prep room. Dont really need it as i plan on just using it to cook on

13. Unkle Spike

Unkle Spike New Member

Have not done anything for the PUP, except buying it a New Tow Vehicle......

2010 Ford F150 with a 4.6 V8. The old vehicle was a 1994 F150 with a straight 6 and 5 speed tranny. The Engine was fine for pulling, but only got 14 mpg [:O]. The new one is a Auto Trans which should make me backing the camper into a tight spot less of a circus.

So here is the list of Tow Vehicle Mods:
    Put Curt Class 4 hitch on truck (yes I know overkill, but I got a good deal on it)
    Replaced 4 pin wiring with Ford Factory 7 Pin wiring, which involved replacing the short factory wiring adapter at the tail of the truck. All wiring was done with NO splices and a spot of di-electric grease for good measure. The trailer already had a pig tail for 7 pin, when I pulled the 7 pin apart it was rusted inside so I opted to replace that. I also found a spare one on craigslist that was brand new and near me for $15 so I grabbed that one up. This gives me "road charging" for the on board camper battery, and trailer brake wiring for a new camper when needed.
    Put a tonneau cover on the truck. I always hated the limited visibility of the cap on the old one.
    Bought an adapter and adapter stub to use my bike rack on the back of the truck. Added bonus is I can get the tailgate down with no interference of the trailer jack. It does however cut towing capacity down to 4000lbs, however I am well under this. Will need to put longer chains on the camper, and I made a "chain up" type holder for the longer chains.

So far for camper "pre-work"
    Removed and washed all mattress and cushion covers.
    Cushion Covers went in the washer with Gain Detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheets in a sent I like.
    I washed the cushion foam in the shower at the house. I used a mix of Gain Detergent, and some Gain Fabric softener rinse in a spray bottle. I bought a hand held sprayer for rinsing them that attaches to the shower head, like a vegetable sprayer in the kitchen sink, but bigger, using HOT water makes for easier cleaning. I have a 1997 camper and I think it was smoked in at one point. YUK [:(O] It was kind of a pain to stand up the mattresses in the shower, but they are clean. Cushions are airing in the guest room and will be put back together soon.
    Clean up weekend work:
    Bought new Tail Lights to be installed.
    New 12v water pump and switch, we are dry camping 2 times this year.
    12v digital voltmeter and switch for monitoring battery state.
    Bought LED bulbs for all the clearance lights. Will do interior and porch light when I can get to them and verify what I need.
    New Digital Remote Temp gauge for Refrigerator, so I don't have to open to look up the temp.
    Digital Thermostat as soon as I can get to the size that fits, I need to check the camper when I get it open.
    I thoroughly washed and cleaned the camper last fall, but I may give the exterior a coat of wax to start this year.

I have learned so much here on this site, and some of the tips and tricks are going to be implemented this year in my camp.

14. dreshambrc

dreshambrc New Member

The only thing that looks like it needs to be replaced is the board that was on the cabinet under the sink when the galley is flipped down. It is really warped and bowed.

15. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

No mods (yet) but opened her up to clean and pack for first trip of the year in three weeks.

I had her packed for a trip last Fall but cracked a rib in a fall a week before the trip s I had to cancel. Never got around to taking my can goods out before Winter so now I have to trash about $20 worth of provisions. Thankfully nothing exploded. That would have made a mess. It all looks fine but I don't want to risk it, so in the trash it goes.

So a quick vacuum, restock, wash the bed clothes, check the tiers, and she's ready to go.

Attached Files:

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@PopUpSteve
    'bout time you get a chance to get out camping!

17. opie232

opie232 Member

Just venting while I replace the roof AC gasket which is my second project on the pup for April. It really sucks when the po didn't replace the original gasket and just used some kind of funky adhesive caulk. The stuff is a bear to get off and the aluminum tore in a few places. The stuff looks like putty but is really sticky like it never cured. Luckily I have extra elastibond tape from the center seam. I'm going to completely surround the opening with that and cover the tore sections before installing the AC again. [emoji51][emoji49][emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Seanwain

Seanwain New Member

Built a new battery Box and added two 100 ah batteries! [MOD]

Attached Files:

19. dreshambrc

dreshambrc New Member

Got a lot done today as it was another gorgeous day! Dh put the second coat of paint on the cabinets and the first coat on the doors and drawers. Also laid over half of the vinyl.

20. BarmanBean

BarmanBean Member

Went to town on the area around the fan/vent that we removed. Removing old caulk is the pits, but it's nice and clean now both on the camper and the fan. Put a temporary patch over the hole just to give things a little bit longer to dry out before reinstalling.

Now I just need to decide if 3m 5200 marine sealant is total overkill for reinstalling the fan or not... [?:~{]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.