Stabilizer blocks

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by Dammitjim, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    I don't know why my search isn't returning anything on this, but why do we put "stuff" under a bare stabilizer foot? I see some people have some round discs that come attached to theirs and some people put wood under them. Isn't it enough to just lower the bare stabilizer foot against the ground? Maybe I don't need that because I have only been to sites where there is concrete?

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    LIGHT TRAILER JACK BASEPADS scroll down

[​IMG]

Model 23035

Provides firm footing on loose ground.

Set of four 6" diameter pads.
    Easy to install; Hardware provided.
    Rubber sleeve prevents rattle during travel.

3. gec66

gec66 New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    It really depends on the stabilizer base and the surface. My old pup had really small "feet", so unless I was on a hard surface I used a wood block to spread out the "footprint". My newer pup has "sand pads" on the stabs which handles pretty much any surface fine so the only reason I need wood blocks sometimes is for un-level ground at the point of stab contact.

4. Dammitjim

Dammitjim New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Ok, then I don't need them since we only camp where there is a concrete pad.
    How hard do you guys crank these down? The moment I feel a good amount of resistance from ground contact, I basically stop.

5. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Limoges, Ontario
    The main reason is to spread the weight of the pressure point of the stab foot over a wider area. As an example, find a large piece of foam and poke your finger into it. Not much pressure required to penetrate into the foam. Now place a square of something solid on the foam and push again. Considerable more force required to penetrate the same distance as before and as you increase the area, more force is required.
    On soft ground this prevents the stabilizers from penetrating into the ground.

The stabilizers should only be snug. Not a very technical term I know. There should only be enough force on them to prevent the trailer from rocking, not enough to put any twist to the frame.

6. jamesmc321

jamesmc321 New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I have the pads shown above... love them... even on wet ground.. they might sink in a little and stop (almost the same as putting wood under them). Well worth the money IMO.

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Gee, I have never camped on a cement pad.

How tight should they be? I give mine another half turn after they make contact with the ground.

8. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I too have the pads shown in this thread. However, if I'm on soft ground especially sandy area then I put 12" square blocks under foot. Feels more stable then. If on a cement pad (like at many state parks) I just use the pad. I crank until I feel resistance then just a nudge more.

9. freenaz

freenaz Member

Jun 7, 2011
    I have the above pads too but since I did an axle flip I have to use blocks now.

10. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

Jun 24, 2011
    Northern California
    Through trial and error -I use blocks to keep the stabilizer as far away from vertical as possible. The more of an angle, the better it seems to halt the shimmies when someone moves in the other bunk. Kind of like putting a support against your fence when a post breaks. If you put the support nearly vertical next to the post, it doesn't do much good. Put it at a low angle (45* or less), and it is really strong.

11. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

What I've found out with stabilizers ... be they the BAL crank down or the stab ... is after having been set into position they will need to be re-adjusted after a day or so, especially if it rains. Having used just some plywood squares under the stabilizers I've found it required less adjustments, i.e., the plywood prevented the metal ends of the stabilizers from settling further into that pea rock graveled sites - really so if it is sand or sod. When setting up at home in the concrete driveway, even the plywood squares have worked better.

12. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Virginia
    I had a fence installed at my home the summer before I got my Pup. There were a few short blocks of 6X6 treated lumber left over. I originally threw them in the garbage, but I couldn't sleep with that and retreived them, thinking that some day they might come in handy. After I got the Pup, I took 4 of the blocks, each just a bit over a foot long I guess, and attached a length of a broken tie down strap on them using roofing nails. Now I have 4 blocks of wood with a carry handle on each.
    When I pop her up, I put one under each stabilizer. Keeps her nice and steady and and in a lot of cases there is very little jacking to have to be done. These blocks take 6 inches out of the equation! Course, there is a down side to all of this... you gotta store them someplace when they arent being used. In my situation, I just slide them back inside the Pup on the floor when Im closing her down and they just lay inside on the floor, ready for use next time I need them.
    I realize that it is costly to go out and buy 6X6 treated material, but it was something I had laying around and just put them to use rather than tossing them. At some point in the future, I may go to something else, but for now, I like using these blocks.

13. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Jul 9, 2011
    :) I use 6 x 6 blocks of wood also. I sanded the edges down and painted them black looks neat. Not just a piece of wood under the pup.
    Keep On Camping !!! [PU]

14. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Virginia
    Darn...you mean now I gotta paint them?!?!?!?!?!?

15. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

16. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Just me being me. I was wrong I use 2x6 not 6x6 sorry.

17. Florida Skies

Florida Skies New Member

Apr 4, 2011
    I use 4 of my Lynx Levelers under the stabilizers... have an 8-pack and have never used so many to level the pup that I don't have at least 4 available. Keeps them square and solid on the dirt or Florida sand...

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Ditto on the Lynx levelers under the stabilizers. They stack nicely in the package, though we have the caps now, too, which are a separate box. (Helps for the leveling side at times, as it gives about half the height of the block.)
    You can see them last week at Grand Canyon here - between rain, show and ice they helped make the stabilizers work better -
    [​IMG]
    Sunshine at last, Grand Canyon Nov 2011 by kitphantom, on Flickr

19. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    I use blocks of wood if I'm really in an unlevel area and my stabs won't touch the ground otherwise. This is also good for very soft ground and sand if you don't have the little saucer pads. If I'm on relatively firm ground and relatively leve, I don't worry about it and just bring the stabs nice a snug.

Hey Kit......are those icicles hanging off your p'up? Sheesh, I thought it was cold when we were there. How was the Trailer Village, or whatever it's called?

20. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Ours has stabilizers that drop down. Biggest problem with them is they are sometimes too long!! I've had to dig a square hole (for the lynx pad to fit) before dropping them!! It just depends on the site, I guess. By the time we go in and out and in and out enough times, it's time to snug them up a tad and they usually stay firm for the while trip. I'm seriously thinking about replacing them since one is now broken anyway. Well, it's not totaled, it just lost it's spring and won't stay UP on it's own. Nothing a bungee cord couldn't handle. [;)] I also carry an odd assortment of wood pieces for different landscapes.
    [:D]