Starcraft 1701 2006

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Petet, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Petet

Petet New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Hello! Brand new to the forum, brand new to the Pop up world. I have a 2006 starcraft on craigslist, seller is asking $2200.00. I only know that it is in "good working condition, with two small pin holes in the canvas". I've asked to look at it, and thats ALL I know! Opinions please?

Pete

2. tls2971

tls2971 Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Lexington, KY
    Definitely look it over inside and out. Make sure there is no water damage or rot to the floors and roof, additional holes or tears in the canvas and that the tires are in good enough condition to at least tow it home. Cosmetic issues can be fixed cheap enough, but structural or canvas issues are costly.

3. Petet

Petet New Member

Mar 19, 2017
    Update....bought it! Got the price down to $1800. Needs new canvas on one end. Little mold inside and LOTS of cleaning, but overall in good shape! Suggestions on where I can find new mattress pads?

Pete

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    New cushions? I went to a local fabric and foam place, one that carries upholstery supplies as well as vehicle fabric, etc. While more expensive than the foam available at places such as JoAnn fabrics, I had a much better choice of thickness and resiliency. They were still in great shape when we sold that pup after 3 seasons. We did end up using a 1" memory foam on the bunk end cushion.
    When we needed to replace the original mattress in our TT (the original mattress was just plain weird and we oculd not make it work for us) last year, I went back. They had about a dozen foams to choose from, and a bench to test a sample.
    You'll find lots of reports of repairs and cleaning in the "In the Garage" and "At the Campground" sections. Once you have all the mold cleaned up, you'll have to re-waterproof the canvas with the recommended product for the type of canvas.
    Since there was mold, you need to determine why - roof leak, closed up wet, etc. You may find a repair or two to do to prevent it happening again.
    For the new canvas, Bear Creek Canvas and Canvas Replacements are the two main sources, unless you can buy original from a dealer. Check with both, giving them your make, model, year, and VIN (that helps them confirm the model). Prices are usually about the same, reputations similar, one may have it in stock and the other not, etc.