Starting on my list of noob questions

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by ItsJustJer, May 17, 2018.

1. ItsJustJer

ItsJustJer New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    These are just some questions I've been thinking about recently. I had a lot more, but I was able to find the answers to those questions by searching around on here. These are things I'm just not entirely clear on, or can't seem to find the right way to search for it. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
    1. Will my 2003 Suburban charge the battery on my 2006 Fleetwood Niagara while it's hooked up with the 7 pin connector? I've not seen a clear answer on this, so maybe it depends on some factors?
    2. Using propane at the campsite -- once we set up, do I open the valve at the propane tanks on the tongue and leave the valve open the whole time we're camping? Or do I open and close the propane valve as needed while we're camping?
    3. Do I have a pilot light for the hot water heater as well as the fridge? Anywhere else?
    4. How much force do I put on the stabilizer jacks? I know you're not supposed to lift the frame with them, but I also want to make sure they're not just barely touching the block of wood I'm using for the base. Does it take a lot more effort than I realize to make the stabilizer lift the frame -- or is it easy to do if I'm not careful?
    5. If we want to load the fridge a day early and have it cold when we get there, what is the best way to do that? Plug into the house and run off AC, then when we leave switch to 12V, then when we get there we switch to either propane if boondocking or AC if available?
    6. I'm getting a 50 ft white water hose, a pressure regulator, and a water filter. I hook that up, turn on the water pump, and we should be good to go? Anything else involved in that process?
    I'm going to try to remember some more questions I've had come to mind. Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

1. Yes it depends on if your #7 pin is wired with a 10 Gage wire or not.

2. You can leave the Propane Tank open while you are setup and will need to leave it open if you are going to use the water heater or Furnace.

3. ? I think your pilots may light automatically.

4. Yes it is easy to lift the frame. You will see the trailer lift while you are setting the Stab's. All you want is to have firm contact with the ground.

5. Yes

6. You dont need the water pump when Hooked up the City water only when you are using the stored water from the holding tank.

Good Luck send us some pic,s of your setup.

kcsa75 and Sotovoce like this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    2. Leave it open.

3. Probably not on a Niagra, need make and model number of fridge and wh to know for sure.

4. I give it about a half turn after it makes solid contact with the ground, still leaves it a little wobbly, but I wouldn't do more than a full turn.

5. That's it.

6. "I'm getting a 50 ft white water hose, a pressure regulator, and a water filter. I hook that up," that's all you need for a city water connection, don't turn on the pump. When dry camping just fill the fresh water tank and turn on the pump.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    #5 kind of depends. My PUP fridge ran best on LP, so I always just precooled on LP. If yours cools well on AC power, then that's a good way to precool, sure. Running the fridge on "stay cool" in 12V mode is a great way to test if your tow vehicle (TV) is charging your PUP battery too! If you get to the site, and your battery is pretty discharged, then, it's not. The 12V element on the fridge draws a few amps.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    just a note as I discovered this on my car. You may have to check your fuses on you car if you find it's not charging. I discovered the fuse on my car for battery charging was dead so had to replace the fuse before it could work.
    As far as propane you can leave it on. However I once left camp all day and discovered I had a propane leak. Actually I don't know exactly what happened but found the propane line was extremely loose and propane was hissing out. It wasn't hissing before I left. Its just very fortunate I had nothing on to cause a spark and forgot the battery at home that day. Too close for comfort for me. So now if I'm going to be going on long adventures away from camp I turn the valve off. I haven't used my fridge on propane yet as I either don't bother or keep it on power.

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    if it has the trailer tow package, it is wired. However, the wire may not connected at the fuse box, it needs to connected to stud #1(google to confirm). And have a 40 amp fuse installed in the correct slot, as found on the top of the fuse box.

7. Hvacman83

Hvacman83 New Member

May 9, 2018
    North Georgia
    1. I just went through this with my 04 suburban with tow package. Seven pin is wired, but no power. I had to get a 40 amp fuse, a square, tall one, and install it in the fuse box under the hood.

Garrity likes this.
  8. ItsJustJer

ItsJustJer New Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Thanks so much for the replies! I'm thankful to have this forum to come to with these kinds of things. I appreciate all the tips and tricks I find here. Always learning something new to make the experience that much better. Thanks again!

9. Jeff Westbrook

Jeff Westbrook New Member

May 19, 2018
    Thanks for asking these questions. I too am a noob, and they have been very helpful. Nice to know I use my fridge when boon docking, because that is the first camping we are doing.