Staying home for the Holiday

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by kcsa75, May 20, 2019.

1. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Mary and I decided this morning that we're staying home for Memorial Day. I made a reservation back in November at one of our favorite spots at Pomona Lake. Oldest son and three grandsons were going to join us. But our campsite is under about three feet of water.

Those of you in the Midwest are likely feeling our pain. For the others, the weatherman said last night we've received 17 inches of rain in 2019, which is about 10-12 inches above normal. There are several federal reservoirs in east and central Kansas. All of them are several feet above normal, including one that is 40-feet above normal pool. Pomona, where we were planning to go, is up 20-feet.

We were officially notified a week ago of the cancellation but we saw it coming when we got all the rain the first part of May. I had been scrambling looking for an alternate site, but now the weather bimbo is talking about rain all this week and into the weekend.

We're going to try and get some things done around the house this weekend. Hopefully, these May showers will give way to June sunshine so we can get back out there. [​IMG]

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

This year's weather seems to have been interesting across a large part of the continent.
    We still plan to take our Memorial Day week trip to North Rim of Grand Canyon. We're going to have to play it by ear even more than we usually do, since they had a high snow season. Part of the scenic drive (to Point Imperial and Cape Royal) was listed as closed last week due to winter damage (Cape Royal end), and saturated repair materials. With new snow and rain, I'm not counting on it being open. Some of the dirt roads are closed because they are wet, muddy,and have many downed trees - so Courtenay isn't taking his bicycle, the road he'd planned to do is closed. If the weather stays cool and he can get a permit, he may be able to do one of his bucket list backpack trips - assuming he can get to the trail head.
    They got more snow yesterday, there was notice on FB last night to not enter or leave North Rim yesterday or today - I assume once the snowplow runs that will be lifted. They also had some power outages at the Lodge, and were coping with some Rim-to-Rim hikers not prepared for winter weather. Haven't seen an update from North Rim this morning.

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Seems that we'll get out for the Mem holiday and hope that everyone else can as well. We tried getting out over this past weekend but rain moved in and it did that, for entire weekend.... Good news is on Thursday this week, we're heading to the Porkies for a few days of hikes and staying in there remote and rustic cabins. We normally do this twice a year, but dearest wasn't hip on that idea when a certain puppy hadn't mastered the listening thing. He has improved much this spring.

this park in MI

https://www.michigan.org/property/porcupine-mountains-wilderness-state-park

Our past adventures there.

https://trailmuttreports.blogspot.com/search?q=porkies

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

We'll be staying close to home this weekend....with this being the first 'big' camping weekend, everybody & their dog will be out. Rather than hassle with all the people, we'll stay close to home & have a BBQ with our kids & their kids, but we have a campsite reserved for the following weekend.

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  5. Nancy Anne

Nancy Anne New Member

We were hoping to go out tomorrow to a campground in a national forest with a nice lake full of trout , but there has been more snow in Colorado again. Being retired we will try for the Tue after memorial day. Camper packed and ready, just have to wait on the weather.

6. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I have reserved 3 days on the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountains for this three day weekend. It will be the first trip out for the new camper, I've got the camping Jone's really bad. I can't wait to figure out what I have forgotten to bring with us. But a day camping is still better than a day at home when the weather is fine.

7. Arlyn Aronson

Glad to hear you're getting that new camper out.

HappyTraveler and Ken Lane like this.
  8. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

I share your pain. Our pup is still in its winter hibernation shed. We had a very snowy winter followed by a very wet spring. Living in the high desert, one doesn't expect to see a 10 day forecast with rain everyday. The mountains are still getting snow, which means that the roads up there are iffy.

On the plus side.....normally our irrigation system would have been running for a month now, but it's off. I just have to water in the greenhouse.

9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I'll be working. But when the crowds are gone I get the State Parks to myself.

HappyTraveler, BillyMc and kcsa75 like this.
  10. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

As I was getting dressed for work this morning I was thinking about playing a joke on the wife saying I heard that snow was heading our way in TN this weekend (we are going camping after all) and when I saw the weather forecast this morning I saw that snow is heading into to New England and around Denver. My joke wan't a joke anymore.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Every time we try to plan anything for Memorial Day or July 4th something goes wrong. We now leave those for everyone else.

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I never camp on the holidays. I wait and go on other weekends or better weekdays.

May do a local campout in July but I'll just play it by ear.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We're heading out for a week starting Friday. I have a mandatory furlough day Friday, and then I'm taking all next week off. Heading to Seward to fish for red salmon until Thursday, then home, reset and boondock Fri-Sun to bear hunt.

The weather says 100% chance of Seward, which means clouds and rain. But, that's what Seward is, so we just embrace it, don the Gore-tex and fish on.

Sorry to hear about all the severe weather. Alaska has three major campgrounds closed most of the summer. One from earthquake damage and two big ones due to spruce bark beetle infestation. That is going to put a crimp in campground availability all summer up here.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is my first time I got off of both jobs for the holiday (I have a volunteer job as well as a career). I really considered camping, but you know just staying home sounds absolutely fantastic right now. I really don’t get a chance to just chill much At home any more. Haven’t been able to kayak for two years as I just didn’t have half a day to give. Sadly my foster dog has GI issues, so I really wouldn’t want to deal with that anywhere else but home anyway .

15. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@jmkay1 - sometimes just relaxing at home is great, holiday or not. When I canceled my 10-day solo last month, having crammed too many trips into a short span, I partly acted as though I just wasn't home. It allowed me to keep spending time with my friend recovering from foot surgery, driving her around, etc.
    We won't be camping for 4th of July this year, but have plans for both Memorial and Labor Day weeks.

16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

"No place like home for the holidays"...I generally expand that Christmas tune into most of the major gatherings of the seething masses of humanity that hit the highways & byways between Memorial Day & Thanksgiving, although we will on occasion do a 4 day on Labor Day...prefer off weeks/weekends w/out the crowds...

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We avoid holiday travel as well with the exception of Labor Day, our anniversary is 9-1. We usually alternate between the beach and the mountains. Last year was the mountains[:D] guess I'm going to have to suck it up and go to the beach this year[:(O].

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  18. Arlyn Aronson

We are getting packed tonight and be heading out in the am. This is the 1st time for many things for this young fellow Wally. He's got 7lbs of dog food in his pack.
    P1050446.jpg P10504477.jpg

19. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Bat-dog isn't allowed to pack food - she will have it eaten before we go 10 feet.

My prior Dog used to carry both of our snacks. Until the day she decided to take the short cut. Instead of going over the hill with us, she jumped in the lake and swam to the beach...

BillyMc, HappyTraveler and jmkay1 like this.
  20. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I had to cancel plans this weekend due to snow in the high country of Colorado. While the snow may melt by Friday, it's going to be very muddy and wet. Not my idea of a fun weekend...