Still Cranking a pop-up?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by clay, Mar 10, 2010.

How many PUP owners are over 50 years old?

1. Over 50

170 vote(s)
    51.5%
  2. Under 50

160 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Both DW and I were over 50 when be bought out pup. We were over 50 and still tent camping.

2. KateTheKamper

KateTheKamper Member

Same here SmilinBeard. Tent camped til I was 54 (last year) and finally bought the PUP. I'd say it was a good move, wouldn't you?!

3. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Finally got to use the 18 volt drill I bought 2 weeks ago. Made my own attachment for the crank system and stabs. Man does that thing work great [;)]. Put the drill in low gear and up it went, A/C and all. The wife is a happy camper and that is all that counts. When she is happy, I'm safe.. [:D].....AZ [8D]

4. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

9 years on, I'm 63, had cancer plus a heart attack but would rather have the pup than a caravan or tent. Mind you, put a add a room on and the stress level go sky high.

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We are both over the hill mark. (who's poll?? :)) Our 1st camper was a Forest river (some model) and it cranked up but we sold after seeing its wood was beginning to suffer. It had 2 beds but only used the 2nd one a few times during our ownership. The new one simply flips over and just has one bed. It can remain hooked up to sleep in it and has no wood. It weighs 2/3rds what the Forest river did. We've owned it about 5 years now and very happy with it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  6. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

68 and a piece of cake.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Things have changed for me since I first replied to this thread, back in 2010. The tiny popup we had just renovated then did well for us for 2 years - with external lifters, no cranking required, though I had to use tricks so I could fold it down. Two years of two us us in less floor space than our tent got old and we moved to an 8' pup, which did require cranking. Three years after that, at almost 60, my deteriorating back and other bad joints made us realize that our goal was to get out and explore enjoyably, so we moved to small TT - it's smaller than may pups and HTTs. Almost 4 years later, no regrets at the move, though I don't like towing it as well as the pup - ice cream and the ability to pull over and access refrigerator, sink, and toilet balance that out.

8. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

The irony of an age poll on an old thread isn’t lost on me. We are 53, well 106 together, and the pup will suit us fine. Course two grandkids under age 3 helps keep us more spry

9. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Well, we did the dark side when I was 51...all for the same reasons...now we just back in, level off, deploy the stabilizers. Push the button for the rear bed slide and for the awning, put up the dinette, pop the sofa up, roll out the RV mat and set up the chairs. All in about 10 minutes instead if 45 minutes. We plan for exit the night before and can be completely ready to roll out in 10 minutes. Only draw back is emptying the tanks at the sani station...but worth it for having the on board bathroom. It is also great for when we are driving long distance or for those times getting stuck when there is a highway closure due to a car accident. Kitchen and washroom are available to us if needed.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. gatorbait

gatorbait Upstate, SC

Ha ha! I would be interested to see how many of the original posters feel now! I am creeping towards that 50 mark. Nowadays I have to take a break midway (to attach the awning I tell the kids). But 10 min out of a trip is nothing. I'll crank it until the kids can do it!

11. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

63 here. Go solo all the time. No problem with physically handling pop up chores. Thinking of heading cross country to Colorado on a solo trip. Hope I am not chewing off more than I can bite.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We use a drill with a socket genie. I'm 54 and DH is 57.

13. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

My partner will be 64 next week. He's never expressed having any trouble using the crank. Putting down the stabs is another story...

14. Nick Nichols

Nick Nichols New Member

Still cranking! Tent camped in my 30's and 40's. Purchased my first popup last August, a few months before my 70th birthday. I have taken 6 outings so far, heading out in a few weeks again. Love the outdoors!

Orchid likes this.
  15. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

We just moved to the dark side. We also were just out this last weekend with our son (who we gave the pup to). We had setting the pup up down to a science and my wife did things and I did things and it was pretty quick to setup. Now we are learning the process all over again with the trailer. I am a bit OCD when it comes to things and when my wife tries to help I get a bit anxious about the order I have in my mind of how the TT should be setup or taken down. For instance I usually leave the chocks in until the trailer is connected to the TV. I don't care if the trailer is on level ground or not it could roll. This weekend as we were breaking camp I was doing another task and my wife was trying to help and she removed the chocks and I did not have the trailer hooked up. I had the stabs up and the tongue jack still down but the TV was not hooked up. I could see the trailer move a bit as the chocks were removed and quickly ran around the other side to see what was up. Only to find my wife and son had pulled them. MY wife and I both realized what happened and we both almost at the same time said that we were still figuring out the process for this new trailer.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I'm 54 and my wife just turned 55. Each year it's taking a little longer to setup. That's why we are discussing either a TT or class "C" motor-home. Personally, I would like the class "C" as someone pointed out about getting stuck in traffic and you realize you really need to pee!!!! (Murphys Law) All we would have to do is switch drivers!

We really do love our pup and lots of great memories in it! But, cranking it up and getting the bunks out and supported is getting to be harder as kneeling down and getting back up is getting a little more difficult.

The other issue is we do a lot of cross country trips with one night stop overs. Having the ability to just pull in a site without unhitching would be great. Just leveling, put stabs down and plug in would be great!!

17. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

We bought our pup 2 1/2 years ago after my wife had the 1st of her 2 knee replacements. Up until then we tent camped, although getting off the ground every morning was becoming more and more of a chore for both of us. I'm now 63 and she's 67 and neither of us can ever see the day where we'll want to move up (or down) to a hard side. Now that we have established who does what during set-up and tear-down, we get along pretty well. I just read a story on one of the Facebook camping groups about a woman who lost her partner and she was clueless as to hooking up, towing, and setting up their rig. She has now resigned herself that her camping days are over. This prompted a conversation between my wife and I about whether she could carry on without me. Her only issues, as she sees it, are backing up the pup and cranking it up. We're both confident that she can learn the former, concerned that she doesn't have the physical strength for the latter. I'm going to start researching converting the crank to work with a cordless drill, in the event that one or both of us may need it one day.

18. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

I'm 50 with 10 & 8 year old kids, late starter with family. Between the Cub Scouts and school... maybe life will slow down in my 60's? Not counting on that though :)

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I’m 43 on tenth year of two pups, hybrid, kids, marriage fail yadda yadda life goes on. I don’t plan on stopping camping anytime soon but single dad camping is a nightmare not worth continuing in a pup. I’d get a trailer with min 80 gallons of fresh water. I camp at state parks and boondock in state and national forest. Pups tank empty in 24 hours of hand washing.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  20. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

I am 64, and the DW 61. We still are pop
    -up but not cranking. We are happy Aframe camper.
    DSC_3046.JPG

silvermickey2002 likes this.