Stink Shower and Shave. Camper with no dedicated bathroom...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Dec 13, 2018.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Sep 19, 2018
    League City, Texas USA.
    Okay so I used a polite euphamism but you get the idea...

While the Texas State Parks campgrounds, have many with good, clean bathroom facilities and hot showers, not all do. And many private campgrounds, or primitive sites like beach camping, just don't have those ammenities.

Very often pop ups don't have sanitation facilities. So how do you add them to your rig?

Very often, you will need some basic components to get it together. First and foremost to answer natures call, a portable toilet.

I initially started off with a Luggable Loo, with Double Doodie bags, and a 5 gallon bucket. It works great, except, well the lack of ability to flush grossed my wife out to no end so....

After some research, and oddly enough what brought me here to this forum, was a search for a good quality 5 gallon flushable portable toilet. The Best Choice Products unit on Amazon is a great price, is rated for well past my weight, works exactly as expected, and stows neatly out of the way! Not to mention no worries about potential spalshing and sloshing...

Now getting clean is a bit harder of a concept. You can set up in a privy tent, or get real creative inside the camper. Your choice. For me, even with the "shower" that is included in some campers, they are often too small. So we pick a heavy duty storage tote, big enough to stand in, like something the toilet could stash in. (Sorry no link, couldn't find the ones we use).

You are going to need a shower curtain, and a way to hold it up. For that I suggest you check out Slim Potatoheads Youtube video on adding a shower to his Aliner.

If you are like me, you want a HOT shower, not a cold one. A water tank, like a 7 gallon AquaTainer, and a propane heated shower like a Zodi Instant Hot Shower. (I have an old one that came without the bucket. If you've got the one with the bucket, no need for a separate tank, just fill the bucket from your onboard tank...

I have been working on a heat exchanger coil to attach a Zodi pump and shower head rig to... That way I can run a shower heating it from a stove...

So... am I the only one that is wanting to rig something inside the trailer for taking care of business as it were? If not, what are you doing / planning?

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I camp at campground with good bathrooms. I have a portable toilet for pee at night. If I was boon docking or at a nasty campground I would have a toilet and shower in a tent or tents outside. I would not poop in the pop up camper. I would even rather go poop in the woods.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    My current pup has no built in facilities. It was fine 10 years ago, but now my midnight trips to the washhouse are way more frequent. We have a porta-pottie that the wife and I use when it's just us camping, but if we take the grandkids, we're back to the midnight runs. Our proposed fix is to buy a different pup with a shoilet, but it's highly unlikely that we would use it for anything other than urine. We would take care of the other in the wash house.

4. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Sep 19, 2018
    League City, Texas USA.
    Do you have a preferred tent? Like I said, MOST of the Texas State Park campground we use have really nice facilities, however when we go to places like New Braunfels, the private campgrounds there, well.... We've found needles on the floors. No thanks!

Our current privy tent is a 15 year old Cabelas Deluxe Shower shelter. It works great, but isn't something I can recommend people go out and get since they have been discontinued... The new model looks pretty good too...

I don't know if they are still like this, but I remember a lot of the federal campgrounds out west when I was growing up used pit toilets. I'd rather go behind a tree!

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I use one (new version). Since it is an EZup, sets up in just a couple of minutes.
    2018 Grand Portage 01.JPG

dbhost likes this.
  6. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Sep 19, 2018
    League City, Texas USA.
    Okay I MUST ask now...

I see the foam square behind the privy tent... What are those for? I have thought about using a couple under my privy tent to keep from having mud weep up through the screened part of the floor.. **EDIT** I just saw the cable running under the foam block. Looks like you are using them as a quiet box / enclosure for a generator...

My original version has all steel poles, and weighs in at around 25lbs. However it will likely survive a nuclear blast... I never see the new ones set up in store, and have wondered if they are built as well as the old one. Not that I want to get rid of the old one, but if it's not obvious, I am all about making setup / teardown simpler...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    We use one section of mat in the shower tent. The mats propped up next to the shower tent are hiding the generator. I temporarily leaned them up against the genny to deflect exhaust noise (we were boondocking and using the genny to charge three pup batteries). Before the mats were leaned onto the generator, my daughter (camped next door) was using them for her exercise routine. Those mats have a lot of uses while camping.

dbhost likes this.
  8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    We don’t use campgrounds and our pup has no toilet or shower. We do have a portable toilet I’m wondering if folks out there need a shower for a weekend trip? We also have a TT with a full bathroom and never use the shower. Living in a place with almost no humidity certainly helps but we just get dirty and shower when we return to civilization. I guess with our backpacking background we just expect not to. Limited water is an issue as well

10. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    A1F820BB-5F1B-434C-A5F3-67ADF63249A6.jpeg 22D3050F-C241-44E8-8F18-93F7E722FCB1.jpeg

all you really need is a bucket with a shower head and shower tent. depending on how high your counter is, bucket could sit on counter.
    or make this. gravity fed shower.
    as long as you have apot to boil water...multiple people can use.

https://krazykatsmeow.wordpress.com/2015/12/04/ultimate-shower-rig/

a gallon of near boiling, plus 2 gallons cold makes good hot shower.

admin steves tent is big enough to put the largest tote tub in for a bathtub, & a chair to set clothes on/ get dressed & a portapotty! DELUXE bathroom.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I'm glad i bought a pop up ,with, toilet, shower, hotwater heater ,etc. Sorry no help from me........

Turfit and neighbormike like this.
  12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We have a privacy pull curtain that runs from the edge of the outside door across the front half of our popup trailer...

Google image
    [​IMG]
    Too bad the kitchen sink is not on the same side of this privacy curtain but using a wash up pan sitting on top of the storage cabinet along with having the cassette potty available and the front tent bed works out pretty washing up in private for us... Our cassette potty shower seems to want you to sit down on the pot to take a shower and that just seems to be out of place for us... It has the hand wand for shower water but not really enough length on it to stand up in the shower stall on our setup...

You can see the two curtain tracks in the ceiling of our POPUP in this photo..
    [​IMG]
    Google image

One across the trailer and the other on around the cassette potty setup...

We do just fine using the privacy curtain that runs across the front end of the popup trailer...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

dbhost likes this.
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We had a folding toilet in both pups, and now have a wet bath in our small TT. On longer stays, the stove inside the pups allowed us to do basin baths much easier than in tent days, when not close to shower facilities. The hot water tank and having a gray water waste tank makes that even easier in the TT. Short of absolute desperation, we will never use the shower in our TT - too small, and the 30 gallon capacity of the gray water tank is just sufficient for our 6-8 night stays. We can, and do, top off the 20 gallon fresh tank on longer stays, so the waste tanks are usually a more limiting factor than fresh water.
    We have a potty/shower tent, but ended up not using it on any trip. For my solo trips, or for both my husband and me, using the potty inside wasn't an issue. Falling back asleep after a middle of the night potty trip - no matter how short or long - in rain, cold, and/or wind has become a big issue for me. If it's a nice night, we still sometimes venture to the nearest toilet, though.

14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    In my tent camping days, baby wipes was more than sufficient for me to clean up with. When i had my old camper it wasn't much more than a tent on wheels, but did sponge baths by warming up water on the stove. Also used a small porta potty for night time use. I never stayed where there was water readily available so sponge baths was the best. My NTM camper has far more amenities and includes an outside shower I never use. I still either use campground facilitys or resort to sponge baths. It's sufficient enough to get "camping clean". If I really need to wash my hair leaning over a bucket rinsing with a cup is sufficient. Then again I'm used to keeping things simple and don't freak out over dirt. Growing up we were used to taking a hose bath outside anyway when we came back from our adventures. We never came back clean ;)

15. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I have a dry bath (toilet and separate shower) in the clipper. 20gallon black water tank. During the day, I'll use the campground facilities as convenient. During the night, and when the campground facilities are inconvenient, I use the clipper toilet. I do not limit my deposit type. Just lay some TP across the bottom of the toilet bowl and there is no mess. Dumping is no big deal.

In the FnR, I have a wt bath with a cassette toilet. Again, I use the campground facilities during the day when convenient. At night I use the cassette toilet. I don't limit my deposit type. Dumping the cassette toilet is no big deal.

I have not used either shower. I use baby wipes for general cleaning up and the campground shower if available and I feel real grungy. I have used the lake/creek/river for washing.

16. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    This is why I bought a trailer that has a dedicated bathroom... I do what I need to do without thinking about it or hiking to do so. At the end of my stay, I visit the dump station and am on my merry way.

kcsa75, JPBar, generok and 2 others like this.
  17. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    One reason we bought a small TT was the complete bathroom, we used a porta potty
    prior to this. I had to build a stand for the potty to sit on to raise it up as too much trouble trying to get up and down without it,. The Coleman throne is about the right height and the shower works fine too and saves on the midnight (and frequent trips) to the campground rest room, most times I do not dump until I get home as I have full hook ups there and can wash and flush the tanks.

generok and neighbormike like this.
  18. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    20 yrs ago for our 2000 Santa Fe I designed and installed my own in-dinette seat shower, a series of pics start here ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

For a toilet I installed an electric flush porta potti and modified the cabinet it sits in so it slides out easily for use but is accessible for service even when the roof is down. Next spring I plan to buy another electric flush porta potti for our next popup and because the shower worked so well may duplicate it for this camper as well. Without a water heater this project would be more complicated as you'd either have to also install one or work out how to use something like a Zodi for providing hot water for shower use.

19. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Do you poop in it?

20. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Atually i did , i thought it was going to smell bad after reading through some of the posts here. Not at all the chemical toilet was an A plus. No smells, easy to dump. Filled it up 2x in a week. Pooping was as a last resort, but after the trial run ,i would easlilly do it again. And it was needed for my 7 year old. How many times did we pass the bathrooms and i asked " do you need to go" i got "nope"". Only to arrive back at the campsite to hear , daddy daddy i need to go potty.