stove on side of pop up

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by 3sons, Aug 1, 2012.

1. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Jul 18, 2012
    If you use the stove from the inside of the pop up that mounts on side of the pop up. Does the heat mess up the side of your pop up? [?:~{] Don't want to melt anything or worse.

2. stefbauer

stefbauer New Member

Sep 1, 2009
    VA
    You are fine... (actually probably better off in terms of moisture/heat) to hook the stove up outside.... that is what is designed for.

You will find lots of discussion of High-pressure vs Low-pressure stoves etc on the board... the main reason for the low-pressure is to make the stove useful both inside AND outside the PUP... (without melting anything).

COMPLETELY no issue, use it outside!

3. whartonr

whartonr New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    I just purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Cobalt, is that stove an outdoor stove as well?

4. DelorFamily

DelorFamily New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have never used mine inside. I always hook it up on the side (under the awning) and have never had an issue. This way, any bacon grease splatter, etc doesn't end up all over the inside of my PUP. We don't eat inside either (unless it is raining). I try to keep the inside as nice as possible.

The flame isn't real big, not like a grill or anything. Actually, my Coleman stove produces more heat for cooking...

5. con1air56

con1air56 New Member

Aug 25, 2010
    We use ours all the time outside. In fact, have never used it inside which would worry me more! Mine has a top that opens up and provides 3 sides to the stove for wind control and any grease issues. Love to cook outside while we're at camp, so it gets alot of use.

6. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

We always used the interior stove inside and might have tried it outside just to see if the outside connection worked. For outside use it's a two burner Coleman L/P camp stove, one of those old timers that can be connected to a regular refillable L/P tank (has it's own regulator); and mostly set up on the C/G picnic table. In comparison, that camp stove will blow the wind shields off the interior stove!

The inside stove (called the "inside/outside stove") is regulated for 11" W.C. (water column pressure), commonly referred to as low pressure. That outside camp stove is a high pressure stove, set for something like 9 or 10 psi. And that explains the performance difference ... 1 psi = 27.71 W.C. pressure.

Always considered moving the cook stove in and out a hassle. Like to get up on a chilly morn and get the coffee on with the interior cook stove, which always has a heating effect on the p'up interior. But when it comes to doing some serious cooking, that outside camp stove shines.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Our '10 Cobalt has the rail and gas outlet for an external stove, but the stove that came with ours is not portable, it is definitely installed into the counter, not designed like the moveable ones we've seen. We assumed the inside/outside was an option or add-on, so yours may be either type (do you have a pic?)

8. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Sep 16, 2011
    Our PU came with a stove/grill to hook up on the side as well. Never have used it. It's still in the shed within its case. I use the inside stove to heat up some coffee from time to time. Cooked inside when it was raining and cleaned up real good afterwards. Normally, we cook over the campfire and/or the Camp Chef stove. [:)O]

Campit

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We haven't investigated the outside stove for ours. We prefer to cook outside on our white gas Coleman, but one reason we got a pup was to have an option to cook inside when it was crappy weather or to get a quick cup of tea. We have cooked just outside the pup this year with the Coleman stove, on an aluminum table, when it was too sunny at the picnic table (no way to use the table canopy in that site), but we didn't have it close enough to the pup to worry about damaging it.

10. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Our Evo came with a stove mounted on the inside, which we have yet to use, and a bbq for mounting by the door on the outside, which we do use. The mounting frame holds the bbq nearly a foot away from the wall and the lid acts as a barrier when open. We've had no problems nor have we had any strong odors inside.

11. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Ours has an indoor/outdoor stove. I primarily use it outdoors, though I most frequently just use my stand alone Brinkmann stove. Even if I don't intend to use the p'up stove, I mount it outside; our is such that the entire unit just sits on a countertop inside and I value that space more than I do having the stove sitting in there. When it is removed and hung outside on the rail, that countertop space inside is available to me for whatever. I only cook inside the p'up if I absolutely have to due to weather...and then, it's generally a matter of reheating a soup or stew; I don't do any heavy duty cooking inside the p'up.

In RE to doing damage...well, if they caused damage, they wouldn't make these indoor/outdoor stoves and/or the manufacturers of the campers would have a lot of liability on their hands.

12. 3sons

Jul 18, 2012
    Ok i think i will give it a try hooked on the outside. We are going on our first PUP trip close to home next weekend. Thanks for all the information. I love this site [:D] [:D]

13. TentOnWheelsTX

TentOnWheelsTX New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We've got a Rockwood Freedom with an indoor/outdoor stove.... And always use the stove outside. Like many have already said, we do nearly all of our cooking outside (except for the (electric) coffee pot, that has a timer, and can be set the night before winkwink).

I prefer to cook outsider so that I have more room - I really spread out when I cook, and we have a folding camp table that becomes my prep table, set up beside the stove hooked to the side of the pup.

Either way you do it, you'll find what works best for you! Happy camping and cooking!

14. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    Tex is right on the money, more room, less clutter. I built a chuck box so I don't have to keep going in and out of the PUP to get something also.

15. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    We always use our stove outside. I don't think we've ever used it inside. Just heated up the kettle as I sit under the awning at Deep Creek Lake.

The stainless steel cover pretty much protects the canvas. No issues.

16. jwoodyu

jwoodyu New Member

Jul 2, 2012
    We never cooked in our first popup which we purchased new and when we were shopping for our current used popup one that had been cooked in was a complete non starter for me. The smell is the bloody worst like a short order kitchen once they have been cooked in. The smells seep into all the fabrics and the Lord help you if you fry fish inside.

+1 on the low pressure stove being worthless outside unless the weather is very nice and no wind. The Coleman or other good camp stove is you friend.

I considered trying to convert the low pressure stove in my Coleman to high pressure then using it only outside. The down fall with that program is thing mounts on the outer door so to lock the camper I would have to take the stove down every time. My Coleman came with a counter that replaces the stove when the stove is outside but in my case the counter piece is were the stove goes all the time and the stove is neatly wrapped tucked away in storage.

17. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

May 8, 2012
    We never make more than Coffee inside the pup [8D] all cooking is either out doors or we eat at a restaurant.

18. trav

trav New Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I hang the stove on the outside whether I'm going to use it or not. Frees up room inside and with its lid closed makes a handy shelf outside for setting stuff.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

19. DelorFamily

DelorFamily New Member

Aug 6, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    FYI, it you haven't ever used it outside, it might take a bit longer to purge the gas lines of any air before the gas actually gets to the stove.

20. 3sons

Jul 18, 2012
    ok Thanks i will keep that in mind.