Stove suggestion to hook up outside of camper?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Carey L Bradfield, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Carey L Bradfield

Carey L Bradfield New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Hello,
    We just bought a popup camper (Camplite Damon 1996) and the previous owner removed the stove. We want to buy one that will work with the hook up to the propane outside. Looking at regular Coleman propane stoves, they all come with small propane tanks. Does anyone know if there is an adapter or a special stove you can get that would easily hookup to that outdoor propane line?

Thank you!!

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Is the outside propane fitting on the trailer is it threaded, like those small propane tanks or is it a quick disconnect like an air compressor fitting ?

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Yes they do.
    [​IMG]
    I like this one because you can hook up a light a stove and a buddy heater all on one tank.
    [​IMG]

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    How is that going o connect to the existing outside connection ?

5. jnc

The only problem with hooping up to the one on the outside of the camper is those are usually High Pressure and Little Coleman stoves are low pressure and will melt.

6. jnc

Fixed

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Depends on the outside connection..
    If its a hp connection then all they need is the hose to connect to the trailer and the stove (those little green tanks are hp) ..

Problems is when the connection is lp..

8. Carey L Bradfield

Carey L Bradfield New Member

Jun 15, 2018
    The outside connection is a quick disconnect. Hoping to hear suggestions on a stove that works out there that was bought separately from the camper.

9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Camp Chef makes several low pressure stoves. I used a Weekender for years. They also sell a hose that will connect the weekender directly to your low pressure disconnect. The stoves are available almost anywhere but for the connection hose your best bet is probably Amazon.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I am fairly certain your 1996 vintage disconnect is the older style. I have the same one on my 99 Jayco. The regular quick connect hoses you can buy (Camp Chef, Camco, generic on Amazon) are for the newer style introduced in 2003/4 I believe. Externally they are the same, but the internal diameter of the male end is different - wider for the older stuff. My solution to make it work since I already bought the hoses before finding out the difference, was to cut the end cap off a Papermate stick pen. It was the perfect size to sleeve into the male connection and allow it to trigger the valve once inserted.

As Steve mentioned above, the Weekender is a good choice. I have one myself and enjoy it. Good power, wide cooking surface and decent wind protection. It is heavy though. I have also converted a Coleman Roadtrip grill and a Weber Q-series BBQ to run off the quick connect. Both are regulated down to low pressure, so they run fine once you pull the stock regulator off. The Coleman required a spare regulator assembly and I had to cut off the regulator, then attach my original stove hose and it has worked fine for a couple years now. The Weber needed a couple fittings from Lowes, and also gave me the ability to use a replacement bulk tank adapter as well. On mine the stock regulator died anyway so it made sense to convert it.

Most of the Coleman style camp stoves are high pressure though so they won't work off your quick disconnect.

11. Spaceace5150

Spaceace5150 Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Are there any low pressure stoves that are made to hang on the existing outside rail? I'm having issues with the original Suburban two burner stove and looking at options.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My OFF-ROAD 2008 Starcraft RT14 has the outside rail to mount an outside grill setup. I have opted to never use a grill this close to the side of my trailer. The window fabrics are only inches above the rail mounted stove kit... I rigged a table top to use the rail mounting and that works out great for us having an extra outside tabletop.

We don't like using the inside STOVE SETUP for all of the grease fumes etc to deal with... Any of that type cooking is done outside on our grill setup... I could live with removing our inside stove setup from our OFF-ROAD POPUP setup as well hehe...

I use a COLEMAN ROADTRIP grill which has the 1LB Propane Canister and I use it usually at a right angle to the trailer. We also have a couple of other heater or lamps that uses the 1lB propane canisters so it doesn't bother me that much having to carry two or three of those 2-pack 1LB propane canisters on our trips...

These are just my concerns as I see alot of folks using their side panel rail stoves burning away...

Just something to think about I reckon...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    32B89A9F-CE81-4F55-9143-FB9E8C0E091C.jpeg i just got the camp chef stove/oven and a ladder/step to make a table. the oven is designed for a green can.
    i got the hose that is the same as the green can one end, pointy snap in quickconnect for the camper end. i may be double regulatored, but it works. i have second hose that connects to big tank if i want to cook at picnic table. (like what jnc posted).
    pics on another device, hang on.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    C20687D2-99A7-4F6E-87F5-52BDBA0F41DD.png