Stripping and reseasoning cast iron.

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by Dusty road, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

I've had good results stripping ci with a lye bath but now I'm considering putting together an electrolysis tank because it also removes rust as well as old seasoning. Does anyone have some tips/tricks or suggestions? Also going to try using Crisbee to season my ci with. Has anyone used it before?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Get evapor rust. Safer , eaisier, and less complex. In the past i just used salt and made a paste, scrubbed it real good then a good coating of oil ( forgot what i used) . Ot didnt season great, so i cooked a lot of bacon in it. That did the trick. My pans were badly rusted, but came out great. Found them in a house sale, cost was free.

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have always used the method that was taught to me by my Dad and Grandfather , I start a fire with oak or other hard wood, then put the cast iron into the fire, when it cools down I then re season the pan in an oven.

Dusty road likes this.
  4. Overland

Overland Active Member

There's a guy on another forum who's a cast iron junkie.. he links this video for cleaning often. The guy has several video's on differing steps to cast iron restoration.. perhaps it helps?

I have some I need to reseason, a newer Lodge I originally did with vegetable oil before I knew better. I'll be using Crisco paste.. but collectors recommend flakseed oil.

Here's another source of info some might find useful.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

PointyCamper, Dusty road and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I have done several. When I did I had access to a bead blaster that took them down to bare cast iron. I’m not sure what I would do now to get the old stuff off but the seasoning procedure would be the same.

6. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

I’m with SJM9911, Evapo-rust . I use it to clean rust off rusty lantern parts. It’s nontoxic and just takes the rust off and leaves the good metal alone.

Dusty road likes this.