Suburban Furnace/Thermostat Question

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by robs_seven, Oct 1, 2010.

1. robs_seven

robs_seven New Member

I just purchased a 02' Starcraft 2107. We set it up at home to test it all out on our own and I found a issue that I have been searching and still have not found a straight forward answer and just wondering if some one could help me out. First off thanks for the service manual links in some of the older post. The camper came with manuals for the fridge and AC but not for the furnace. At first I could not get the furnace to do anything at all. But after reading some links and post I then found the kill switch under the sink was broken and not closing all the way. Once I found this I was able to get the furnace to kick the fan on and the propane to ignite but Im a little confused on the thermostat. While tracking down the problem I took the plastic cover off the thermostat and saw the anticipator was pointing straight down. I read some about this but not sure where exactly my model should be set? The furnace model is NT16SE. If some one could help me out it would be appreciated. I am not sure what this actually does or what will happen if improperly set. Thanks for the help

2. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I have the same furnace and probably thermostat , the anticipator (pointer)will be set at one of a series of numbers representing the current rating of the primary control in your furnace ex: .2, .4, .8 etc. apparently there should be a current rating( adjustable from 0.15amps to 1.2amps) stamped on your main heating control. Move the pointer counter clockwise to lengthen the heating system cycles and clockwise to shorten the cycle. Adjustments shouldn't be more then 1/2 marking at a time.

This is from the manual i found online. I ended up trying several settings before leaving it alone. I think the setting kinda depends on the situation/conditions.

Hope this helps

3. robs_seven

robs_seven New Member

Thanks, I did find that information on a site that had a suburban manual. I have looked for the current rating but I have not seen it yet. I maybe looking in the wrong spot. If counter clockwise is the longest setting and clockwise is the shortest, I guess with mine pointed straight down it must be at the longest cycle setting. I cut the furnace on the other night to see if it worked and it ran fine, cut on and off by the thermostat and kept it warm. I guess if that is working then I should be fine, I was just concerned that if it was way off from what is recommended then I could possibly damage some thing?? I am going to look again for the current rating and if not I guess go with where it is.

4. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I just returned home from last trip of the year and found that between .5 and .6 gave the best heat. Just a fyi

5. robs_seven

robs_seven New Member

Thanks for the info. We left it were it was last weekend and the center stayed WARM but the bunks were chilly, which I figure is going to happen considering there is just a pcs of plywood between the mattress and outside. Going again this weekend and plan on trying it on a few different settings to see the difference.

6. Brewmaster

Brewmaster New Member

Can you post the links to the furnace manuals? I wouldn't mind a manual for mine and can't find them online.

Thanks,

Brewmaster

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Small fans can help move some of the warm air into the bunk ends. Also, you can put some insulation on the wood bunk end floor under the mattress to control the cold.

8. capy235co

capy235co Member

And you might add Reflectix to all the windows to help keep the bunks warmer.